Difference in lens made in china and thailand?

nyxes

Jan 6, 2009
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi, juz started photography thou i am a lurker in this forum :p

i would like to ask if there are any difference in performance in lens made in china, thailand or japan? assuming that the prices are the same for this 3 countries...

No difference

i would like to ask if there are any difference in performance in lens made in china, thailand or japan? assuming that the prices are the same for this 3 countries...

You mean the same lens made in different countries, if different lenses its hard to compare as construction of the lenses are different, lens coating might also be different. VR/IS and non-VR/IS also hard to compare.

Same lens usually will be made in the same country and the companies would have very stringent QA/QC for these lenses, so I don't think the performance would be affected much, even though most of the higher lenses from each brand are usually made in Japan.

iPhone made in China.

It is worth noting that the Lexus models recalled by Toyota for problems were produced in US/Japan, IIRC.

Assuming that China, Thailand and Japan manufacture one same lens, I don't think there will be any difference in the quality since these lenses will be made with materials approved by the brand itself. Quality control will be very stringent since the company's reputation is at stake here.

I will only be dubious if the lens is labeled Sany, or Canun, or Nikan. Otherwise, it shouldn't be a cause for worry.

Last edited:
i dont think there will be any difference, QC will be the same for famous brands whether it is built in china, thailand or japan. there might be variations but i dont think it will affect performance.

QC between made in china, thailand or malay shouldn't differ much, though i would always try to get the made in japan(cos of numerous past experience and shares) one but hey it's just me :)

Last edited:

I presume there is.

Maybe not much difference for the consumers but definately for the manufacturer.

not much difference in term of the different manufacturers part.

however, photographers do make the major differences on the same lenses.

hope this answer your question.

Will not worry about it. QC will be there. Dun think the big names wanna intentionally let other countries produce their products without any sort of quality check.

Ryan

The China lens can only communicate with your camera body in Chinese.

The Thailand lens can only communicate with your camera body in Thai.

The Japan lens is the only one that can communicate in English. That is why Japan lens are the best.

Jokes aside, China/Thailand/Japan, what's important is the company's QC. A load of Toyota's problematic Lexus cars are manufactured in Japan... Assembled as well, if I'm not wrong.