Difference in HD & UV filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kababoom

Nov 23, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
is ther any difference between these 2 filters thinking of getting GH-1 which comes with HD kit lens will it degrade the images if i were to use normal UV filter on this?
thks for an info

anything you put in front of your lens will degrade your image

thks for the info but what would be the recommended choice of filter in the case HD lens shld go with HD filter? since HD filters are generally more expensive compare to normal filters

thks for the info but what would be the recommended choice of filter in the case HD lens shld go with HD filter? since HD filters are generally more expensive compare to normal filters

unfortunately, i cannot help you on that as i do not use filters on my lenses

I'm using the Hoya HD UV on my lens. So far so good

Argh here we go again. Hoya HD filters are not Hi-def filters. The HD stands for HARDENED.

Say, on some mountains/high ground, during a bright sunny day, where the UV radiation is probably higher than at sea levels, trying to take some landscape pictures.

Wouldn't the UV cause some weird colour shift or other artifacts? Since the camera doesn't have UV filtering and the sensor is sensitive to UV.

In this case, a good UV filter might actually improve the picture quality overall.

While the statement is usually true.. it may not be always true..

anything you put in front of your lens will degrade your image

Say, on some mountains/high ground, during a bright sunny day, where the UV radiation is probably higher than at sea levels, trying to take some landscape pictures.
Wouldn't the UV cause some weird colour shift or other artifacts? Since the camera doesn't have UV filtering and the sensor is sensitive to UV.

Read about the UV transmitting capabilities of any standard kit lens, it's fairly limited. Your camera also has filters to prevent anything else than visible light from hitting the sensor. That's the reason why UV filters are actually redundant in digital days. Even at high altitudes, a slight blueish cast can be corrected later in post processing. Artifacts are caused by JPG compression.

Last edited:
Not really.. the camera actually allows a fair bit of UV to pass thru. Cameras only have dedicated IR filters in front of sensor, no dedicated UV filter. The glass does limits the amount of UV, but only those further from the visible range/wavelength.

The artifacts that I mentioned refers only to colours related.

Hmm.. if you bring in Post processing, it can change a lot of things.. We're considering the "picture quality" straight from camera for discussing ya..

My comment is not intended to discuss whether "put filter better or no filter better" but more to whether "adding a filter will always degrade the pictures".

Read about the UV transmitting capabilities of any standard kit lens, it's fairly limited. Your camera also has filters to prevent anything else than visible light from hitting the sensor. That's the reason why UV filters are actually redundant in digital days. Even at high altitudes, a slight blueish cast can be corrected later in post processing. Artifacts are caused by JPG compression.

HD filter is better.. normal UV one may cause slight tinge of yellow or orange.. =))

Status
Not open for further replies.