Difference in diffuser and softener

Status
Not open for further replies.

horizoner

Deregistered
May 30, 2003
Visit site
Hi yea!

What's the difference between these two? Read up and both will soften an image.

Also, which is more suitable for portrait?

but wat r the differences in terms of image produced?

Originally posted by jasonpgc
Hoya Softener is plastic, Hoya Diffuser is glass.

Both are just as good.
Nikon Diffuser 1 is the best. Follow by B+W Ziess softener filter.

Originally posted by Pegasus
Nikon Diffuser 1 is the best. Follow by B+W Ziess softener filter.

I thought Nikon one calls Soft 1?

I thought difusser and soft are same?:dunno:

i don't think they r the same .. have checked out that Hoya has these 2 filters. so they can't be so dumb to manufacture 2 filters with the same effect? :dunno:

but ... i might be wrong .. just an amatuer ;p

Originally posted by horizoner
i don't think they r the same .. have checked out that Hoya has these 2 filters. so they can't be so dumb to manufacture 2 filters with the same effect? :dunno:

but ... i might be wrong .. just an amatuer ;p

I've both, the softener have little clear flat patches on the surface of the plastic lens. The diffuser have mild rough texture on the entire surface of the glass. They look different but the effect is similar.

Originally posted by Kho King
I thought Nikon one calls Soft 1?

I thought difusser and soft are same?:dunno:

You are absolute right! Nikon softener filter is called "Soft 1".

Actually, I "think" I do see a difference between Nikon Soft 1 filter and B+W Diffuser. Nikon soft 1 is a solid piece of "blur" glass while the B+W's has round concave min-lens on its gass surface. Digital print under magnification, the Nikon's has a homogenuous soften effect throughout the picture. For the B+W's, its' only at regular intervals then has the soften effects. But overall, to the naked eyes when holding both photos, they looked the same.

where can we find this nikon soft 1 then? most of the shops which i went to only carry hoya.

where can we find this nikon soft 1 then? most of the shops which i went to only carry hoya.

I have a 72mm Nikon Soft 1. Almost new condition, with box and case. Interested? PM me your offer. ;)

I'm not trying to spoilt "Kon King"'s sale here, but if you are using digital, Adobe PhotoShop can do the softening effect very nicerly.

However, for film, the Nikon Soft 1 filter is really a GOD-send. It's the Number 1 softener filter in my aersnal of filters.

nah...don't worry. I am not desperate to sell, just that when someone ask...then I reply. ;)

Nikon Soft 1 is good, but Soft 2 is too soft for portrait. I heard the best soft filter is the Carl Zeiss Softar 1. No experience though...

by the way...my name is Kho King, not Kon King :)

But seeing from the price the nikon soft 1 is at, what's the next best thing?

would hoya softeners or other brands be good? for the consumer levels..

Originally posted by djchris
But seeing from the price the nikon soft 1 is at, what's the next best thing?

would hoya softeners or other brands be good? for the consumer levels..

Get a cheapest filter u can afford, use a fine sand paper to sand it. Then u got the ONLY ONE in the world unique soft filter ;)

Get a cheapest filter u can afford, use a fine sand paper to sand it. Then u got the ONLY ONE in the world unique soft filter ;)
Kho King, there are ways to create DIY soft filter with creative effect, e.g.:
Use clear-colored nail-enamel, drop it randomly on a plate of glass (last time I use Cokin blank).
Another creative soft-filter:
Use vaseline, smear it over a plate of glass, it will create effect which Photoshop can't do. This technique was last time used by one of the famous wedding photographer in U.S.

Hi There...

You can also try using a female stocking stretched in front of the lense and secure with a rubber band round the lens to get a softening filter effect!!!....

Regards,
me

nah...don't worry. I am not desperate to sell, just that when someone ask...then I reply. ;)

Nikon Soft 1 is good, but Soft 2 is too soft for portrait. I heard the best soft filter is the Carl Zeiss Softar 1. No experience though...

by the way...my name is Kho King, not Kon King :)
Oophs, typo. Kho King.

The B+W Carl Zeiss Softar 1 cost me $450 the last time I bought it. It's actually made of a plastic material, not glass. I don't "feel" any difference between Nikon Soft 1 and this. I sold the CZ's off just a few months back to a sucker who went aftr branded stuffs.

Originally posted by sulhan
Hi There...

You can also try using a female stocking stretched in front of the lense and secure with a rubber band round the lens to get a softening filter effect!!!....

Regards,
me

that's really a cheap alternative!!! just wondering wat will bystander think? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.