Difference in colour and brightness

starushz

Jul 13, 2008
Hi all,

I've just taken my prints from KT. I realised that the colour is slightly off (calibration?) and the photos are darker than what i see on the lcd.
Why is that so and anyway to solve this problem?

I've just taken my prints from KT. I realised that the colour is slightly off (calibration?) and the photos are darker than what i see on the lcd.
- Do you refer to your LCD monitor or your LCD screen on camera?
- Have you done any editing to the pictures or just straight from cam / memory card into their lab computer?
- If you have edited the image: do you have a colourmanaged workflow?

Hi all,

Your LCD is not calibrated correctly. You can do it cheaply with Spyder3Express available at Cathay Photo for $160. :cool:

What you see on the back of your camera isn't necessarily going to be exactly what will come out in print from a shop. The best you can do is to view the images on your computer using a calibrated screen and some shops can give you calibration information for their printers as well so you can try to match everything up with what they will produce in the end.

- Do you refer to your LCD monitor or your LCD screen on camera?
- Have you done any editing to the pictures or just straight from cam / memory card into their lab computer?
- If you have edited the image: do you have a colourmanaged workflow?

I'm refering to the laptop LCD.
I'm doing the editing using lightroom.
For the colour managed workflow, what does it consists of?

Thanks

I read somewhere that KT as a ICC profile somewhere.
Anyone kind enough to share it?

For the colour managed workflow, what does it consists of?
It means that all editing of the images must be done on a calibrated systems with software that is aware of colour space and embedded colour profiles.
Profiling (a.k.a. calibrating) is to make sure that the output on your computer screen is exactly what is digitally coded in the file. If this is not the case then there is no point editing because what you see is different from what is in the file.
The software to be used must be aware of the colour space (e.g. sRGB, Adobe RGB) and other information embedded in the image (embedded ICC profile). Adobe LR does all this, nothing to worry about.
But: lots of other software components on a usual PC are not aware of colour space and colour profiles, 'famous' and notorious here: Internet Explorer and Fax / Image viewer, but also many other share ware quick image viewers. If you open the image in such viewers and compare to Lightroom you will see a difference already.
Profiles provided by print labs refer to printer / paper profiles. They can be used for proofing in Photoshop. Not sure at the moment whether LR can do print proofing now. Just updated to LR3...

Last edited: