difference btw compact and dslr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RxXxX

Sep 10, 2006
hi all csers i wanna check with you guys/ladies,

whats the difference btw a 10mp compact camera and a 10mp dslr. thks for the replies

A DSLR will make you spend more and more on lens and other accessories. It's evil. :devil:
Get a compact!

whats the difference btw a 10mp compact camera and a 10mp dslr. thks for the replies

Short answer ..
only the 10mp designation is the same
everything else is different

..:)

In layman terms, a compact is simply a point and shoot while a DSLR has so much more options to choose.

Main difference is the size of the sensor if you are tallking about picture quality.

Of course, there are things that compact can do and DSLR cant. A good example is taking videos. There are defintely more things that a DSLR can do and a compact cant.

There wouldnt be so many people here using DSLR if compact can perform on par with a DSLR.

Hope it helps.

To me SLR = Single lens reflex...what you see in your viewfinder is through the lens(although nowadays there is live view in DSLR too) where else compact is live view through image sensor :sweat: However I am not sure what is the significant different of the 2 :lovegrin:

dude its like asking whats the difference between the s league and the premier league and saying there is not much diff cos they are both professional leagues with football teams in them.

dslr gives the user as far as possible maximum control and ultimate flexibility in terms of lighting options such as shutter speed aperture colour temperature as well as focus (this is of course limited by budget) however the PnS is limited by what lense is stuck on it.

a dslr would definitely produce sharper pictures due to sensor and the lense.

however the pns does provide portability being able to fit into ones pocket.

just remember there is alot more depth to a dslrs capability then what u think or have this perception of.

This is like asking what is the difference between a BMW and a KIA? Both gets you from point A to point B, apart from the badge difference, but why ppl pay so much more for a BMW??

Same goes for DSLRs, the obvious difference are

- better control layout,
- better DOF,
- lower shutter lag....and the list can go on and on

I like my P&S as much as my DSLR, especially when I want to travel light and also into video, P&S gets my vote.

the difference is very simple.

ever tried shooting a party in low light with a compact? you'll probably get very grainy shots and have huge trouble focusing.

now, if you had a d3 with a sb-800 flash. everything becomes really simple. click, and in fractions of a second, gears turn, lens focuses accurately, pictures come out sharp and grain free.

well, i can understand if you dont see the difference, well they always say ignorance is bliss.

well, i can understand if you dont see the difference, well they always say ignorance is bliss.

To the TS, this sentence is in no way sarcastic. Ignorance is indeed a bliss!!! How I hope I do not know anything about the differences in what equipment can do, how big aperture lenses can do wonders and this sickening D3 :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

One of the main differences I love is that my 400D can take high ISO shots without ugly noise

This is like asking what is the difference between a BMW and a KIA? Both gets you from point A to point B, apart from the badge difference, but why ppl pay so much more for a BMW??

Same goes for DSLRs, the obvious difference are

- better control layout,
- better DOF,
- lower shutter lag....and the list can go on and on

I like my P&S as much as my DSLR, especially when I want to travel light and also into video, P&S gets my vote.

Actually the analogy should be between automatic and manual gear....;)

I believe DSLR offers better picture quality which explains their (much) higher price. It also offers the flexibility of various lens/filters/accessories to achieve the desired effect.

I have a canon IXUS 860IS and nikon D80..can tell the quality esp in nite situations...

:thumbsup:

Moving up a notch from the compact camera category gets you into the pro-sumer category, where the image quality differences narrows a bit.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6468-7844
Great work, and from an Oly pro-sumer camera too.
Just reminds yourself that the camera is just a tool that lets you make great pictures.
Agree that slr cameras, whether digital or film, are more flexible, but its a question of whether one actually needs that flexibility. Sometimes, you dont. I find that its easier for me to bring 3 cameras loaded with different film and focal lengths and then just head out the door.

cheers
rf

Status
Not open for further replies.