Difference btn an uv filer n a lens hood??

Status
Not open for further replies.

doink24

Aug 14, 2003
Bt Batok
As above, wads the diff ar?? i know lens hood is to block off the sunlight ryte?? dan wad bout a uv filter?? issit a must to get?? thxs

both also important leh..
the uv filter not only cuts out the UV ray from entering the lens, but its main purpose is to actually proctect the lens front glass from scratches, touches and smudges... u break a filter, it cost at most $100 to replace a filter..but if u break the lens front glass, perhaps a few hundred also not enough...depending on the lens..

the hood also blocks out unwanted light, but it also helps to prevent ppl from touching the glass in front.. if u have no hoood in front, a bird can just stand on the glass in front and scratch it.. but if u have a hood, the most the bird can do is stand on the hood...

yea birds stand on my lens before..

so how much does one uv filter cost?? wad other filter must i buy?? issit one filter for all lenses?? thxs

doink24 said:
so how much does one uv filter cost?? wad other filter must i buy?? issit one filter for all lenses?? thxs

Most ppl will at least buy a UV filter..because as mentioned above, the main reason is for protecting the front lens element.

Different lenses got different front glass element diameter..
for example the nikon 70-200vr is 77mm while the D70s kit lens 18-70mm is 67mm and the 50mmf1.8 is 52mm...
there is no one size filter for all lenses..it all highly depends on ur lens..

the nikon brand and B+W brand are the more expensive ones.. for example if u get in shops, the 77mm for nikon and B+W is abt $90

for the other brands such as HOYA, Hoya has many grades, ranging from the normal UV filter, HMC filter, S-HMC filter.. the normal UV filter is abt $10 (52mm), while the HMC is abt $20 (52mm), S-HMC if i remember correctly is around $40 (52mm)

U may wonder why are there different grades, there are different grades because the better grades ones allow higher light transmission into the lens and less light reflected, due to their unique multi-layered coating on it..
And for the lower grades one, in some circumstances such as in strong sunlight, u might encounter incidents such as flares..but a higher grade ones wont..

If ur lens is those expensive ones, i would recommend u to get the nikon or B+W ones...
But if ur lens is the not so expensive ones, i think the Hoya HMC kind will be sufficient..

so wad bout the lens hood?? so must get both?? lens hood n filters???

doink24 said:
so wad bout the lens hood?? so must get both?? lens hood n filters???

erm, most of the lens comes with the lens hood i.e. its part of the package..

yes..filter is definitely a must, btw which lens are u buying?

eh i am just intending to buy a new DSLR la..so asking ard on wad accessories i must buy ma...so does the kit lens come wif lens hood?? so meaning to say i can use the lens hood n the filter togehter???

doink24 said:
eh i am just intending to buy a new DSLR la..so asking ard on wad accessories i must buy ma...so does the kit lens come wif lens hood?? so meaning to say i can use the lens hood n the filter togehter???

new DSLR also gota depend already...for example the canon 350D and D50 kit lens dun come with the lens hood, whereas the D70s kit lens come with lens hood..

personally i feel that lens hood is more important for long lenses than for short lenses.. long as in physically long..

and yes, you can definitely use the lens hood and filter together..
the filter is screwed onto the front of the lens, whereas the lens hood is mounted onto the "outside of the lens".

but issit a must to use the filter n lens hood all the time?? or sometimes when i take can take out the filter??? the uv filter is for day time shots wif sunlight??

doink24 said:
but issit a must to use the filter n lens hood all the time?? or sometimes when i take can take out the filter??? the uv filter is for day time shots wif sunlight??

Filter
ok... the UV filter was originally invented mainly for the film cameras, this is because the UV light that penetrates the lens will "spoil" the film..thus manufacturers came out with UV filter to prevent UV light from entering the camera and spoiling the film..

But now, we are in the digital age, even if the UV light passes through the lens and reach the sensor, our sensor won't be affected in any way, and our pics will not be affected.

That means UV filter, in the digital age, is just a piece of glass place in front of the lens to protect the lens. You break a filter, at most u pay $100, but if u break or scratch ur lens glass, expect to pay more than hundreds and maybe thousands to replace it. This is why a UV filter is often also called a protective "cover".

Whether sunlight or night or snow or blizzard, use it for its protective purposes.

Lens hood
For the lens hood, it serves 2 purpose. (a) to prevent unwanted light to enter the lens from the sides so as to reduce flaring (b) to protect the lens element in front.

This is an example of flaring:

flare.JPG

In this scene, the sun is on my left and is very very very strong, and without the hood to block out the light on the left, this is the flaring u will get.

In conclusion
(A) a filter is a MUST (protective purposes).
(B) use lens hood in strong sunlight / strong sources of light conditions, and if the environment is rough eg. in the jungle, use the lens hood as an additional source of protection for your lens. If lets say u are at night at esplanade shooting the river, the place is pretty calm, u can dun use the hood.

doink24 said:
As above, wads the diff ar?? i know lens hood is to block off the sunlight ryte?? dan wad bout a uv filter?? issit a must to get?? thxs

A UV filter is for cutting out UV light, DSLRs have a filter that does just that in front of the sensor. so LPPL

Lens hood is to block stray light from hitting your lens and causing lens flare.

So for me, is to use a lens hood instead of a filter.
but it is up to you, some ppl use both

kk...thanks guys...have a better understanding le...so most prob just buy a lens hood ???

but i see problems with using a lens hood

1. difficult to put on a lens cap
2. difficult to put on screw on filters
3. troublesome to change and put on cokin GND filters
4. difficult to keep the camera system in bag with the lens hood on

wonder what does those who used lens hood feels about this? just bear with the hassle or is there some way of actually overcoming it?

zoossh said:
but i see problems with using a lens hood

1. difficult to put on a lens cap
2. difficult to put on screw on filters
3. troublesome to change and put on cokin GND filters
4. difficult to keep the camera system in bag with the lens hood on

wonder what does those who used lens hood feels about this? just bear with the hassle or is there some way of actually overcoming it?
1) Use center pinch lens cap. Or, if you are using lens hood, no need to put lens cap.
2) Remove the lens hood first.
3) Don't use lens hood for cokin GND filter.
4) IMHO, you can reverse the lens hood (if you are using bayonet lens hood).

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
There is Cokin hood for use with Cokin Filter, use that instead of no hood.

../azul123

doink24 said:
You need not have to put on or get the hood/filter for the lens...

just be careful when using it. :)

Artosoft said:
1) Use center pinch lens cap. Or, if you are using lens hood, no need to put lens cap.
2) Remove the lens hood first.
4) IMHO, you can reverse the lens hood (if you are using bayonet lens hood).

Regards,
Arto.

yup, already thinking of using the 77mm centre pinch lens cap from PPCP, still feel safer with a lens cap to protect my filter when not in used. but thought that it doesn't feel so handy to put the lens cap with the hood on.

#2 & #3 are still cumblesome when changing.... i usually switches lens and switches between GND and no GND very often.

yup, i do reverse the lens hood but find that it doesn't always lock well. sometimes it drop off in my bag (if i used a large compartment one with a few things together protected by t-shirt around it - i guess when things gets rubbed around, the lens hood dun hold well and comes out easily)

just sharing some difficulty that has to put up with using lens hood.

Hood is useful to block out flare but most of us use the uv to protect the expensive lens from damage. However, someone advised me not to use UV filter as it degrads the quality of the photo. is that true?

Hoods and UV filters each serve a different purpose..u cannot compare this two..

Its all about personal preference whether u use or not use the hood..but when the sunlight is too glaring its always advisable to have it on..so naturally its better to always leave it on..u never know when it is too glaring on some situations..

Different filters each serve a different purpose..but most people use them as a protection against scratch and finger prints on the front lens..but do note the difference before and after the filter is screw on..becos some cheap filters really affect the quality of the picture..

Status
Not open for further replies.