difference between the lens

sheannie

Oct 5, 2010
Hi all,

im actually looking for Canon 70-300mm lens at sim lim, but i step into 2 shops and they both introduce me Tamron 70-300mm lens.

as im new to photography and lens, i would like to seek for some info regarding this 2 lens.

which should i buy?

P/S: Mod if i put this in wrong session please advice.

Thanks.

Please use google to search for reviews, then read them and come to your own conclusion.

FYI, we have a price guides section, you should look there for the recommended shops and prices.

Sim Lim?

i'd treat anything those people there say with a huge pinch of salt. They are notorious for treating newbies as carrot heads....

Do some research on the internet, then head do to reputable shops(list can be found here on cs), then approach a friendly sales person to buy the lenses. That's your best bet :)

I used to have a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM and a Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro. The results from both lenses are about the same. Get the Tamron only if you are interested in the macro mode (but only acceptable IQ).
Do note that Canon's zoom ring turns counter-clock-wise and Tamron's zoom ring turns clock wise (same as Nikon, which annoyed me a bit).

Personally I will get the Canon- it looks better on my Canon dSLR :sticktong

thanks all, guess i'll be goin for tamron lens instead..

just checked e price at AMK for tamron is cheaper den e shops at sim lim~ =D

Try not to go to sim lim, especially if you're not sure of what to get..

Read up on both of those lenses and once you've made up ur mind, go to any of the recommended shops found in the Price Guides section here on CS. There's still no guarantee that they will not over-charge u, but they are just less likely and are more reputable. You can ring up several shops beforehand to compare prices, if you want that little bit more out of your dollars..

Always ask for name of person who quotes the price as what is quoted may be different when you buy the product the next day and you may be asked for the name of that person to prove it. I had this experience.

Avoid SIM LIM unless you are going to Orient Photo..

and i would say you really need to know if those differences in the reviews will make a huge difference to you...

some of us don't feel that the difference is huge, some feel that it makes the world of a difference..

As many advised, do your own research first.

First and foremost, Do you really need a tele photo lens?
If yes, how frequently you will be using that?
If answer is not frequently then you need to decide how much u r willing to spend on this.
If answer is yes, what kind of quality are you looking at
How much u r willing to spend

Once you have clear answer to all these, then ask your good friend www.google.com "telephoto lens review"

read the reviews and try to match price point, quality, weight, look and so on with your priorities........ you will get your answer.

Once you selected, look at the price guide and call the reputed shops and stuff!!