difference between sony nex-5 and DSLR ?

SinSisteR

Dec 31, 2007
Any major differences between those 2 types of camera? contemplating to get a DSLR either Nikon D7000 or Canon 60D but after seeing the quality of sony nex-5, seems to me there's minor differences in the quality of the photos produced.

The only differences i heard about is the shutter speed is still faster for DSLR.
Any more opinions?

Sony NEX5's min shutter speed is as good as most DSLR min shutter speed at 1/4000, other than some that goes 1/8000. Sony also have the inbuilt image stabilizer where the compared 2 other models depends on the lens for IS.

But I think what you should worry about more is about ergonomics factors instead if you think that these camera's IQ are almost the same. Best way to find out is to hit the shops and try them all out and see what fits.

My two cents...NEX type of cameras are designed to be compact to suit a those who prefer smaller form factor cameras. Go for DSLR if you do not mind the size. All the best!

Any major differences between those 2 types of camera? contemplating to get a DSLR either Nikon D7000 or Canon 60D but after seeing the quality of sony nex-5, seems to me there's minor differences in the quality of the photos produced.

The only differences i heard about is the shutter speed is still faster for DSLR.
Any more opinions?

Shutter speed is about the same. The MAJOR differences are:

1. The NEX is designed to be as small as possible
2. The NEX is designed as a point-and-shoot camera with a DSLR-sized sensor. So you will NOT get all the manual controls, buttons, wheels, etc, that a DSLR will give you.
3. The NEX has shutter lag - like a compact point and shoot, it can take a second before it's ready for the next shot.
4. No viewfinder - so just like on a compact camera, you use the screen to compose and shoot.

Major PROs:
1. It's small enough that the sistic thugs usually ignore it when you go to a concert. :D
2. It's short flange distance makes it ideal for using legacy manual focus lenses.
3. Same sensor as the Nikon D90, sony A550, etc.

Sony NEX5's min shutter speed is as good as most DSLR min shutter speed at 1/4000, other than some that goes 1/8000. Sony also have the inbuilt image stabilizer where the compared 2 other models depends on the lens for IS.

Nope. The NEX uses in-lens IS.

Eh... I think in this case, it's like comparing an apple to an orange. It's hard to say which one is better. If you are just doing everyday snaps to post on your facebook/blog or just printing 4R photos, then I'll say go
for the Sony Nex 5.

I have the Nex 3, and I feel that that's already good for everyday use. Of coz if you want to go
deeper into photography, then dslr will be better coz it gives you more control over the final product.

Any more opinions?

Oh, loads.

DSLR is larger, and should handle better.
DSLR tends to give you more control over the image, if you understand how to use a DSLR properly; it has less limits than a NEX-5.
DSLR uses optical viewfinder, response is still much faster than that of any live view/optical viewfinder, when split second makes difference sometimes.

This doesn't mean DSLR is better, each have their own place.

The short of it is that NEX-5 sacrifices functionality for size. So you have to decide what is your priority, what you are willing to sacrifice.

Any more opinions?

When you say "shutter speed is still faster...", do you mean the number of shots that the camera can take consecutively?
That's not 'shutter speed', but more like 'burst rate' or something.

When you say "shutter speed is still faster...", do you mean the number of shots that the camera can take consecutively?
That's not 'shutter speed', but more like 'burst rate' or something.

ss refer to the time taken for the aperture to open and close.

NEX systems is quite different to DSLR mainly for the responsiveness.

NEX is a little laggy to DSLR

Image quality is about the same if you are comparing same sensor size to DSLR.

Major plus for NEX is, I could use those Legendary Minolta MD Rokkor lenses as well as Leica Lenses without losing too much quality.

It is a compact camera with DSLR sensor.

I find it adds to my DSLR system when I want quality with less load especially during overseas travel.

DSLR has a lot more control but I don't find the lack of feature deter me from NEX system. My only gripe is, after some extended shoot, because the focussing is done on the LCD, I feel too much strain on my eyes. I wish they will come out with EVF that sit on top so i can frame it that way.

If your question is, if there is a quality different given similar sensor size... There is none for those people who posses the skills.

Regards,

Hart

huh?
sure or not?

The aperture (on the lens) and shutter (blocking the sensor) are 2 entirely different things.

Time taken for aperture to open and close????
Could you kindly point me to the reference information?

One major difference is that NEX does not have a hotshoe.

huh?
sure or not?

The aperture (on the lens) and shutter (blocking the sensor) are 2 entirely different things.

bro... you got corrected by lcheowl :bsmilie:

bro... you got corrected by lcheowl :bsmilie:

I'm confused already :confused::confused::confused:
I always thought shutter speed is the time duration that the shutter stay open ;)

Huh? Aperture don't open and close unless you tuned it. Aperture value is the f-value, yes? The camera shutter then will open and close as it was related to time (x/y sec).

I hope I am not wrong here.

huh?
sure or not?

lol, my mistake, should be an opening that opens for a certain amount time when a picture is taken. :)

Huh? Aperture don't open and close unless you tuned it. Aperture value is the f-value, yes? The camera shutter then will open and close as it was related to time (x/y sec).

You are right in principle.I just loss my earlier reply because of CS' website problem about logins,so I'm going to be brief.Unless you are electronically and mechanically trained ,most people have no clue about how things work in a digital camera.There is a finite time for electronic circuits and mechanical parts to work.
That's why there is shutter and focussing lag.How fast and good from the user perspective depends on design.

About shutter speed,this actually means the time the shutter remains open for light to be sensed by the image sensor,converted from analog signal (light) to digital
ones and zeros so CPU can understand and processed and stored in a format you know as RAW or JPEG.All this take time.

PS.If you experience login problem,see my reply in FAQs and Questions section at the bottom of forum page.

Last edited:

Correct.
Essentially it's just a difference in naming.
An aperture is a kind of opening. Essentially the shutter opening is an aperture too, though we've come to accept 'aperture' as the mechanism on the lens :)

Thanks one eye Jack and ZerocoolAstra for the clarification.