Difference between Seagate photo hard drive and CF card

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimDavis

Mar 15, 2004
Bedok
Just wonder if there is anyone out there can help me to understand a little bit more about the differences between Seagate Photo hard drive and the typical CF card we are using today?

one is a miniture HDD and one is flash memory, one has moving parts and one doesn't, one is slower and one is much much faster, and one is much cheaper.

Errr which "one" is the "one"?

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

one is a miniture HDD - seagate photo hard drive

one is flash memory - CF cards we normally use e.g kingston elite pro

one has moving parts - seagate photo hard drive

one doesn't - CF cards we normally use e.g kingston elite pro

one is slower - seagate photo hard drive

one is much much faster - CF cards we normally use e.g kingston elite pro

one is much cheaper. - seagate photo hard drive (not very sure, but find it to be so, 2nd hand that is)

like to add also, the hdd photo drive is more prone to failure i think cos of the mechanical parts. but i think these kinds of things, better dont drop :bsmilie:

photodrive also will heat up faster. takes up more batt power.

hope it helps

zcwnfx said:
one is much cheaper. - seagate photo hard drive (not very sure, but find it to be so, 2nd hand that is)
This one should be read as:

one is much cheaper for price/capacity. - seagate photo hard drive

Regards,
Arto.

I will sum it up for everyone here after much debated sentiments of CF vs MD.

To a bigger majority of the pros here, it seems MDs will surely 110% die on you on your most important shoot and you will lose all the most important data on the MD at a time when you most need it.

yanyewkay said:
I will sum it up for everyone here after much debated sentiments of CF vs MD.

To a bigger majority of the pros here, it seems MDs will surely 110% die on you on your most important shoot and you will lose all the most important data on the MD at a time when you most need it.
It's just like

Nikon vs Canon
Apple vs Mac
CF vs MD.

It won't end. :rolleyes:

yanyewkay said:
erm.. Apple vs Mac?
Oops... Apple vs PC :bsmilie: Typed too fast liao. Fingers haven't woken up yet... I'm still idling in office, no mood to start work. :bsmilie:

michael reichmann uses hard drive.. never reported any problems..

espn said:
Oops... Apple vs PC :bsmilie: Typed too fast liao. Fingers haven't woken up yet... I'm still idling in office, no mood to start work. :bsmilie:
yah same.. ;p :embrass:

espn said:
It's just like

Nikon vs Canon
Apple vs Mac
CF vs MD.

It won't end. :rolleyes:
Add:

Alien vs Predator :bsmilie: .

Ups.... OT....

Regards,
Arto.

Thanks a lot to all the contributors.

This is really an enlighten discussion, well, at least for me.

I was initially thinking of getting the seagate photo drive, since it is so dirt cheap (brand new, less than S$200.00 for 4 GB), but after reading through the discussions above, I think I am going to stick to my current CF cards + my portable hard disk drive, till I really find anything that is cheaper and more reliable than what I am having.

Thanks all for the contribution, with or without OT. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

you'll note that your portable drive is also harddisk, and it has mechanical and moving parts inside as well.. As said eariler.. 110% sure crash. So becareful huh..

OTOH, I'm a happy user of the 4GB photo harddrive.. :bsmilie:

There's no guarantee that solid-state memory (eg. CF cards) will not fail on you either, even new ones (a friend just RMA'ed his Lexar 80X 2G that was bought recently ... I think he's just not lucky with photo gear, his Sandisk Ultra II died on him a few months ago too).

The trick is to have "insurance" ... a few extra cards, perhaps a Compactdrive to download right away, etc. It's a matter of how important the shoot is and how much time & trouble you are willing to go through.

FWIW, I've been using a 1GB IBM microdrive for more than 3 years (and it was probably 1-2 years old when I got it) ... no issues so far.

i tink all also same lah.

use wat u think is good lor.

personally i go for CF cards.

not too ex too. and well, for me, hmmm, i can stand having to "reload" every 350+ shots. cos if 1 card fail, at least not all gone. if u get wat i mean :p

Thanks a lot for the further contribution. Various points make this discussion more interesting.

I believe that there is no righ or wrong answer, it all depends.

As for the portable hard disk I am having, yes, I am aware that it might fail one of these days, however, I am using it to load the photos from CF card to the hard drive, and I have 3 x 1GB CF cards, so, eventhough I upload the photo to the portable HDD, I will still keep the photos in the CF card, unless I am absolutely desperate. :)

I will re-consider to see if I really need a 4GB photo drive, at this point of time, it is more desire than need. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.