Difference between Polariser Lens and UV Lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven_cong

Apr 3, 2004
Hi,
May i know when i should use Polariser and when should i use UV Lens? Was told that polariser is good when taking outdoor shoot,is it true?I love taking sky shoot and some scenery,which lens is better to take a crisp picture?

Thanks

steven_cong said:
Hi,
May i know when i should use Polariser and when should i use UV Lens? Was told that polariser is good when taking outdoor shoot,is it true?I love taking sky shoot and some scenery,which lens is better to take a crisp picture?

Thanks

Are u referring to filters? I've yet to see a polariser and UV lens. ;)

Sorry...newbie here!
hehe....should be filter! :p

steven_cong said:
Sorry...newbie here!
hehe....should be filter! :p

I always use a polariser when I wanted to make the sky more blue. It's also very good if you want to remove the reflections off water, glass, etc. Very good if you want to take waterfall pics.

UV, I put that on ALWAYS!

Anyone can provide more tips and comments on other uses?

Most people use UV filters as a protection against knocks for their lenses.

Although it is a common belief that filters degrade image quality, the difference is hardly noticeable and especially so if you use good quality filters. So for taking sharp pictures, your lenses play a more important role, not the filters.

Adding to Kit's comments, there're a few good brands if you want to choose polarisers and UV. I always goes for B+W polarisers and HMC UVs. A bit more expensive, but good quality.

If budget constraint, get Hoya. I used to get original Canon filters, but now no more. Think they don't manufacture already, or CP don't want to bring in.

Virgo,thanks for all the replies.I really learned a lot... :)

Kit,Thank you for telling me more about UV Filter.... :)

By the way,I love to take scenery shoot and sky shoot,should i buy those blue color filter and green color filter? to boost the color?

steven_cong said:

By the way,I love to take scenery shoot and sky shoot,should i buy those blue color filter and green color filter? to boost the color?

Most welcome. U can save the money. Just get a polariser and UV. The rest can use PS. Take a look at the shot below. Only use UV and touched up using PS Elements 2.0

26446939.IMG_3710.jpg

steven_cong said:

For increase colour saturation, polarisers are the way to go. Of course you have to shoot under the correct lighting and condition. There's no way a polariser can turn a white washed sky blue. Also, polarisers work best when orientated 90 deg from the sun.

steven_cong said:

Ah, please don't put blue/green/red/yellow filters over your lens unless you are trying to get a all blue/green/red/yellow picture. These filters are used in black and white photography to boost contrast, and not really for general photographic use.

For scenery and sky shoot, you might need a graduated neutral density filter. Film has a specific exposure latitude. If you exceed this latitude, you are going to loss detail and contrast. A graduated neutral density filter helps in dealing with this contrast and enable you to retain detail in both sky and scenery.

justarius said:
Ah, please don't put blue/green/red/yellow filters over your lens unless you are trying to get a all blue/green/red/yellow picture. These filters are used in black and white photography to boost contrast, and not really for general photographic use.

For scenery and sky shoot, you might need a graduated neutral density filter. Film has a specific exposure latitude. If you exceed this latitude, you are going to loss detail and contrast. A graduated neutral density filter helps in dealing with this contrast and enable you to retain detail in both sky and scenery.

Oic....Thanks thanks...i thought by putting those color filter will boost the color saturation! :) .... By the way....i need another graduated neutail density filter? for digital camera? How much will it be?

Virgo said:
Most welcome. U can save the money. Just get a polariser and UV. The rest can use PS. Take a look at the shot below. Only use UV and touched up using PS Elements 2.0

26446939.IMG_3710.jpg

Virgo,cannot see ur picture le...so weird... :think:

steven_cong said:
Oic....Thanks thanks...i thought by putting those color filter will boost the color saturation! :) .... By the way....i need another graduated neutail density filter? for digital camera? How much will it be?

ah, digital ah? Then if you have the time, can photoshop everything. Actually, no need to buy all these filters first. Take your pictures and see if you like them and if you actually need these special filters. Only when you gain more knowledge and skill or discover some problems with your pictures which require specific filters to solve then should you buy them. No point buying if its going to sit in it case all day long... :D

justarius said:
ah, digital ah? Then if you have the time, can photoshop everything. Actually, no need to buy all these filters first. Take your pictures and see if you like them and if you actually need these special filters. Only when you gain more knowledge and skill or discover some problems with your pictures which require specific filters to solve then should you buy them. No point buying if its going to sit in it case all day long... :D

Ok.Thanks ! :) ...Actually just wish to buy polariser and uv lens try... see how the effect and learn! Thanks justarius! :)

steven_cong said:
Ok.Thanks ! :) ...Actually just wish to buy polariser and uv lens try... see how the effect and learn! Thanks justarius! :)

No problem! We are all here to learn and help each other :D

No doubt you can duplicate colour tones in PS but if you're inexperienced, you'll end up unnatural looking tones that is rather irritating. I prefer to do it right at the point of capturing the image. If you're into landscape, you should at least has a polariser.

steven_cong said:
I love the Sydney Opera house...that photo the sky is soooo blue and nice! You using Polariser Filter on it?

Yes, I've used a circular polariser on this. As you've mentioned, the sky is so blue that no need a polariser also will look blue. The difficult thing is this, don't over do it. If not the colour will look unnatural.

I got myself a polariser a few months back, but weather a bit too cloudy when ever I'm outside to try out.
I read online that it has to be rotated to eliminate say reflections in water and such, really need to manually rotate the filter before shooting? (hope i make sense)

Status
Not open for further replies.