Difference between Macro, Telephoto & Prime Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinty

Dec 27, 2005
I noticed that there are 105mm lenses for all the 3 categories.
As far as I know, prime lenses cannot zoom and are of a fixed distance.
Does it mean that the above 105mm macro and telephoto lenses are prime lenses ?
Please tell me more as I'm really blurred.

Telephoto lenses refer to lenses longer than 70mm in focal length. Primes just mean they dont zoom. Telephoto zooms are normamly like 70-200 or 70-300.

Macro lenses jsut mean that the lens offers imgage magification of 1:2 or 1:1. Most true macro lenses are of fixed focal lenghts usually 100mm, 90mm or 180mm. The comapct macro lenses areu usually about 50mm or 60mm.

Telephoto lenses refer to lenses longer than 70mm in focal length. Primes just mean they dont zoom. Telephoto zooms are normamly like 70-200 or 70-300.

Macro lenses jsut mean that the lens offers imgage magification of 1:2 or 1:1. Most true macro lenses are of fixed focal lenghts usually 100mm, 90mm or 180mm. The comapct macro lenses areu usually about 50mm or 60mm.

Under Nikon website, they classify all prime lenses above 70mm as telephotos.
Telephotos

As for macro, it's classified under special purpose. And for the lens in query, 105 micro, YES, it's a prime lens. The 105DC is another special prime for portraits. And both can be considered as a telephoto lens as it is above 70mm in focal length.

As for the telephoto zooms, they are those which starts from 70mm as explained above.

There are short, medium, long and extra long telephoto lens.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.