Difference between Lightroom and PS

djkyno

Dec 14, 2010
Singapore, Bt Batok
asking a noob question lol. what is the diff between lightroom and PS ? can someone enlighten me ?

Generally Lightroom is for you to make the minor adjustments like tones, contrast, exposures and even healing and cloning.
Most photographers uses Lightroom as the 1st stop when they transfer all the photos to the computer.
It is also worth to mention that Lightroom does make the PP workflow more seamless as the tabs are arranged in Categorising (Library), Develop, Print.
One of the main benefit of Lightroom is that you can use batch editing and presets. This makes editing alot easier and faster.

On the other hand, Photoshop is more for intensive photo editing. It is very powerful if you know how to use it. There are many tutorials on Youtube that teaches you how to use Photoshop.

So in short, Lightroom is like bringing your photos to the clinic to cure the minor coughs and flus while Photoshop is like bringing your photos to a plastic surgeon for major surgery.

Lightroom is a workflow engine.
PS is the grand daddy of photo editting.

Lightroom rocks for doing basic colour and exposure processing, changing white balance, adding contrast, exposure etc. quickly.

Photoshop has more precise editing features, but it takes more time to edit.

Although we often hear the words minor/basic adjustments tagged to Lightroom when compared to Photoshop, Lightroom will actually serve the needs of 99% of users.

Most of the time when touching up photos, we're really looking at the things that Lightroom offers, such as exposure, colour, cropping. When we talk about Photoshop, we're talking about really intensive editing that usually belongs to the realm of professional fashion and portrait industry, such as making changing body and face shapes (liquifying) or intensive cloning and healing.

Furthermore Lightroom helps you look through, sort and organise your photos directly without any additional software. It also simplifies editing since no saving is needed. Also important: it's a lot cheaper than Photoshop.

how abt PS Elements 9 ? cheaper than LR .. haha .. but tats besides the point. :bsmilie:

I have been using LR3, and it is awesome. However, there are some functions which for example, merging 2 shots are not in LR.

Read from reviews that Elements 9 had incorporated some good to use functions. would it be good for beginners to use these 2 PP softwares ? I think it shld. Best of both worlds :bsmilie:

When we talk about merging shots, we're usually talking about HDR imaging, panorama (there are other uses).

Although Photoshop has built-in HDR capabilities, many Photoshop users still buy external plugins such as Photomatix (http://www.hdrsoft.com/) for their HDR.

The good news is that you don't need Photoshop at all to use these plugins. They come in Lightroom edition and they cost just US$99 vs the retail price of Photoshop.

Just to add on to the original question from the TS, which many answers have missed, Lightroom is a photo library while Photoshop is a pure photo editing software. Many photographers neglect the importance of a good library software to help manage your huge numbers of images (and now videos with HD recording in DSLR). I for one have enjoyed iPhoto for many years now and understand the importance of letting a software do the arrangement of images and folders, so that i dont have to worry about creating folders, naming, searching, etc. When comparing photo library functions, I feel Lightroom is still inferior to Aperture (or even iPHoto). With Aperture or iPHoto, i can truly not worry about where my files are kept. The software manages it for me, and with Aperture, even the backup of master files. Lightroom still need the user to intervene and set folder names and rules during import. and a poorly thought through folder planning can lead to disaster in the future, when library gets too big.

Having said that, Ligthroom is also a photo editing software, with all the ACR capabilities built in. The only (and probably major) difference is that it cannot do layers, hence colour ranges, masking, overlays, etc would have to be done in Photoshop. Another thing which makes Lightroom more powerful than Aperture is the new lens correction feature. It have many preset lens profiles, with ability to manually adjust. This is very useful for UWA lens's defects. Another thing working for the newer library software: all edits are done non-destructive and no additional image files are created. This means you save harddisk space (if you are like me, keep RAW+JPG), and you can change the image editing anytime.

Someone mentioned Photoshop Elements. It is the stripped down version of PhotoShop CS. I think it is already quite good, considering the price you pay, and if you dont need the full suite like illustrator, page maker, etc. I tried the evaluation version, and found some features deliberately removed in the PSE version compared to the full Photoshop CS.

At the end of the day, what are you looking for? A library or an editor?
Unfortunately for me, either way, I won't get Lightroom. I'd get Aperture for a much better library and PSE or Photoshop CS for a full on editor, + PT LENS plug in for lens correction. That is just my preference.

Just to update on my previous post, as I am reviewing both Aperture3 and Lightroom3 now. Lightroom3 is still more superior in terms of editing and preserving details. Its workflow is still much simpler (easier than Aperture to achieve similar outcome).
I actually prefer Aperture3 before my trial. But after reviewing/trialing both, I have to say Lightroom 3 is superior in editing, which is ultimately more important.
These are my preferences, reflect only my views.

Just to update on my previous post, as I am reviewing both Aperture3 and Lightroom3 now. Lightroom3 is still more superior in terms of editing and preserving details. Its workflow is still much simpler (easier than Aperture to achieve similar outcome).
I actually prefer Aperture3 before my trial. But after reviewing/trialing both, I have to say Lightroom 3 is superior in editing, which is ultimately more important.
These are my preferences, reflect only my views.

i tried Aperture 3 trial... find it very slow processing raw files... in the end i choose Lightroom 3. Quite pleased with it, speedy and fast. :)

I'm using Lightroom for the first time and I love it, far better than Picture Project and a hack job in Photoshop that I used to do. I still need Photoshop for framing and panos and I'm using a hell of a lot more RAM than before, but the results are better.

If you want to do some quick camera related post processing on your photos then Lightroom is far easier than Photoshop, a good example is when you need to straighten horizons, in LR a grid comes up making it easier to level your picture, in Photoshop you still have to guess visually.

Yet to open up the DPP disc (I have a Canon 7D).

Photoshop does not have the library in itself., but if you're purchasing CS4, CS5 packages, they usually ship with Bridge.

Adobe Bridge is a media organizer (in another word: Library) software and it's not only good for still images, it can also view movie files, as well as other adobe format files such as .ai, .pdf, .indd etc.

Bridge also have a great communication with other Adobe software. It also has a really customizable interface which i like a lot. You can check it out at http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/bridge/

If I'm not wrong, bridge is usually part of the deal, especially when you purchase Creative Suite. You can check with Adobe's website for shipping and packaging details.

I read this thread as a source for information but after reading all the comments I'm just about convinced that I must absolutely get lightroom. :D

You guys make good sales people! :) hehe

I agree with most post before but just to take note, installing PS CS5 will also install AIR Updater which will automatically inform you of any updates made available but LR will only check for update when you launch the application (a behavior seen in my Mac, not sure about Windows though, maybe someone can confirm that). I believe Adobe will soon incorporate LR into this form of updating soon since it's the only way to streamline applications built in a modular way.

I think the biggest advantage about LR is the Non-Distructive Editing. And it's very fast in loading and organise huge amount of photos.

However, it does not have layer, selection or text capabilities.

Jared Polin explains in details: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kccIXusPF1M

Basically, PS can do most of stuffs what LR could. But do not have the ability to organise. It can allow user to edit the photo intensively.

And of cuz LR is much cheaper than PS.

Hope this help!