Difference between internal zoom and conventional zoom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asturias105

Dec 18, 2004
photobloglww.orgfree.com
Hi again, just wondering if there's any difference between internal zoom (sorry, don't know if this is the correct term) or those conventional zoom?

for example, sony w1 vs canon ixus 40 ??

how does internal zooming works, and which is better for pictures?

What internal zoom and conventional zoom?

The type of zoom that you want is optical zoom. Dun bother about digital zoom cos it will degrade pic quality.

W1 has smart zoom but you have to reduce the pic size to use it. eg: at 3MP mode, you can get 3X smart zoom plus 3X optical zoom. Pic quality is reduced by not too much.

Both W1 and Ixus has 3X optical zoom. W1 allows carrying of additional teleconversion lens or wideangle conversion.

Zoom zoom zoom.....yeah yeah yeah yeah! Mazda, _shift the future! :bsmilie:

Let me try. My understanding of "internal" versus "conventional"(external) zoom

There are some zoom lenses that do not get longer when one zoom out because the zooming mechanism is constructed internally. An example is the Canon 70-200 f2.8.

But the Canon 100-400 zoom lengthens considerably when you zoom out, because the zooming mechanism was designed that way.

Of course there is a slight inherent advantage to have internal zooming, because the longer the lens, the less stable it is.

But I am unable to tell if the inherent mechanism of the internal versus external zooming makes for any real difference in the optical quality. There is no doubt that the 70-200 is sharper than the 100-400, but there are other optical considerations to explain the sharpness.

One of my favorite lens is the now out of production Angenieux 45-90mm. It is design to have an external zoom. But boy, is it sharp!

student said:
Let me try. My understanding of "internal" versus "conventional"(external) zoom

There are some zoom lenses that do not get longer when one zoom out because the zooming mechanism is constructed internally. An example is the Canon 70-200 f2.8.

But the Canon 100-400 zoom lengthens considerably when you zoom out, because the zooming mechanism was designed that way.

Of course there is a slight inherent advantage to have internal zooming, because the longer the lens, the less stable it is.

But I am unable to tell if the inherent mechanism of the internal versus external zooming makes for any real difference in the optical quality. There is no doubt that the 70-200 is sharper than the 100-400, but there are other optical considerations to explain the sharpness.

One of my favorite lens is the now out of production Angenieux 45-90mm. It is design to have an external zoom. But boy, is it sharp!
yeah, that was what i was trying to say.. lol. thanks for making it more understandable.

well, i think i prefer external zoom, cos that's how most cameras are built. and i just dun see how those "internal zoom" cameras will succeed over "external zoom" types anytime soon! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.