Difference between EF and EF-S lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

khen1

Apr 14, 2008
East
Hi! I would like to know the difference between a Canon EF and EF-S lens. Thanks.

been asked countless number of times.. pls do a search first..

EF lens can be used for full frame camera (Canon 5D) and cropped camera (400D, 40D).

EF-S lens can only be used on cropped camera, but well can still be used on full frame, AFAIK however it will cause vignette and soft egdes.

The cameras that can use the EF-S mount are the Canon EOS 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 20D, 20Da, 30D, and 40D digital SLRs. These cameras can all use both EF and EF-S lenses.

The "S" in EF-S stands for "short back focus", which means that the rear element of the lens is closer to the image sensor than on regular 35 mm SLR cameras. The proximity of the rear element to the image sensor greatly enhances the possibilities for wide angle and very wide angle lens, enabling them to be made smaller, lighter (containing less glass), faster (larger aperture) and less expensive. Most current Canon EF-S lenses are wide angle

Thanks for the info. Tried searching but found very little information on the difference. Hope to learn more in time to come.

EF lens can be used for full frame camera (Canon 5D) and cropped camera (400D, 40D).

EF lenses can be mounted on all Canon EOS SLR bodies, digital or film.

EF-S lens can only be used on cropped camera, but well can still be used on full frame, AFAIK however it will cause vignette and soft egdes.

EF-S lenses can ONLY be used on the following crop cameras: EOS 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 20D, 30D, 40D.

They cannot be mounted on the EOS D30, D60, 10D, 1D, 1D MkII, 1D MkIIn, 1D MkIII, 1Ds, 1Ds MkII, 1Ds MkIII, 5D, and any other EOS film bodies.

I don't know where you got the info that they "can still be used on full frame, (but)...will cause vignetting and soft edges."

EF-S lenses can ONLY be used on the following crop cameras: EOS 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 20D, 30D, 40D.

They cannot be mounted on the EOS D30, D60, 10D, 1D, 1D MkII, 1D MkIIn, 1D MkIII, 1Ds, 1Ds MkII, 1Ds MkIII, 5D, and any other EOS film bodies.

I don't know where you got the info that they "can still be used on full frame, (but)...will cause vignetting and soft edges."

Sorry, wrong info. TS, ignore my posting please.

Just curious. Is there any difference in terms of focusing speed, noise etc between EF and EF-S?

Just curious. Is there any difference in terms of focusing speed, noise etc between EF and EF-S?

the mount doesn't have anything to do with focusing speed and noise.. its the type of focusing motor in the lens, USM or Micro-motor..

Status
Not open for further replies.