Difference between APS-C and full frame sensors

Coolkheng

Jan 17, 2015
d19-20
Im currently considering to buy a new camera, i'm considering between the Sony A7 (full frame) and Canon EOS 70D(APS-C) and am wondering if the extra money paid for full frame is worth the difference image quality wise... Thoughts?

no.
unless you're super picky about bokeh/dof, noise etc etc.

Im currently considering to buy a new camera, i'm considering between the Sony A7 (full frame) and Canon EOS 70D(APS-C) and am wondering if the extra money paid for full frame is worth the difference image quality wise... Thoughts?

[h=3]How to choose a camera (the sensor format method)[/h]

Check the review sites, compare pictures of recent cameras with both sensor types. Then compare the price tag and see for yourself whether the difference is worth the money. Finally it's your money.

Depends on the genre you shoot.

If you need faster AFC or lower light AF sensitivity, maybe the dslr.
Else the A7 is good enough.

Diff is argued to death.
I have both and still keep both.
Practically speaking for most needs, both formats already meet what most folks need.
And I also print up to A3+ using files from both.

The main diff to me is that on FF, it's easier to get a shallow dof type look.
A wide shallow dof spatial relation to the subject, that is harder to achieve on apsc.

Other than that, noise, dr, etc, not a big deal to fuss about imo.
There is a diff but really close or need pixel peeping and side by side comparison.
Practically imo, we don't view nor use our photos like that.

Btw
Look at the Pentax K3 and Nikon D7200 for dslrs.
I think they offer more at about the same price of the 70D.

The initial purchase cost is one thing; subsequent purchases, especially the additional lenses for FF cameras, could be a major concern if one is constrained by budgets. Thus, whether to go FF or APSC or another category, should start with this consideration in my opinion. Unless, the gears will be used for paid work which will eventually offset the costs, it might be better to stick to APSC and sacrifice on DOF or image quality (may or may not be so; it depends) for hobbyists. Otherwise, when new cameras, lenses and accessories are introduced in future - sometimes with short cycles - one will be left wanting and envying.

:)

The initial purchase cost is one thing; subsequent purchases, especially the additional lenses for FF cameras, could be a major concern if one is constrained by budgets. Thus, whether to go FF or APSC or another category, should start with this consideration in my opinion. Unless, the gears will be used for paid work which will eventually offset the costs, it might be better to stick to APSC and sacrifice on DOF or image quality (may or may not be so; it depends) for hobbyists. Otherwise, when new cameras, lenses and accessories are introduced in future - sometimes with short cycles - one will be left wanting and envying.

:)

Agree. Always consider the entire system, not just the camera body.