Difference between air con and air cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin85

Mar 26, 2003
Tampines
Visit site
Hi all,

I guess its quite strange that a question on air con should appear in a photography forum, but anyway, need to seek a bit of advice.

What's the difference between an air con unit and an air cooler unit(those that require u to fill water that type)? Can an air cooler function like an air con in the sense that u can use it with closed doors and windows?

Cos the other day my uncle who's planning of getting an air con was asking me....thus decided to seek some advice here from those who know as i'm not really sure about it.

thanks.;)

i don't think air cooler would output cooler air than an air con unit. i ever filled the air cooler with water, only to find more mosquitos flying in my room :nono:

Air cooler cools air by evaporating water. You will have cool but wet air. IMHO is better for open space.

Aircon cools air by passing air through an evaporator. Water will condense and is drained out. You will have cool and dry air. Better for enclosed area.

Depends on your needs... :)

Hey dude.

Don't waste your money buying air cooler.
Won't do the job. Pretty humid too.

I got an air cooler... waste of money... the room is quite hot that the cooler only affect like 1 meter radius of proximity.

The air cooler, as the name implies, will only help to cool down the air it is blowing slightly. The portable air con unit actually works like a actual window/split unit, and thus can actually output much cooler air. The advantage of the air cooler, is that it can work like a fan thus consume much less electricity. Even with the cooler function on, the amount of electricity is lesser also. If you have kids, the air cooler is better for them also. But the cooler is not meant for enclosed room, and usually you have to point the air cooler at yourself to feel the cool air.

Personally I feel that if you want to have air conditioning, get the window or split unit type. It is more efficient and less noisy.

If you want to get an air cooler, get those with ionizer function. You can also add those water soluble arometherapy scent and add it to the water and get some aromatherapy effect. I'm using one of these air cooler as a fan for one of my rooms, and it acts as my air freshener also:) It helps to cut down usage of air con and reduce electrical bills. On cool days, the air output from the air cooler actually feel quite cold also. Of course, when I want to have a really cool room, I'll just switch on the air con.

Ultimately, it is a decision between comfort vs electrical bills.

wow,what fast reply......thanks so much guys for the help. Will let him know of the feedback provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.