Difference between a filter and a UV filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

focusHeart

Apr 12, 2008
I saw the two different filters in courts. If i'm not wrong the UV filter was priced at $8.50 and the filter was priced at $32.50. It is for 52mm lens. Which should i get if i only want to protect the lens. Thanks :D

Hm filter is the general term. It has to be some ___ filter. UV, ND, etc. Perhaps it's just a better UV filter, thus higher price.

8.50 for a filter?

thats really cheap. considering that i got my 52mm for $10. lol.

yah.. i hv bought 2 52mm at 2 diff shops.. both $10 leh... if 8.50 one, scary.. skarly some cheapo no brand kind.. better check..

if i'm not wrong it's Tokina brand and it was selling at courts mega house in tampines.

Tokina is decent. Anyway, UV filter doesnt do much.

I saw the two different filters in courts. If i'm not wrong the UV filter was priced at $8.50 and the filter was priced at $32.50. It is for 52mm lens. Which should i get if i only want to protect the lens. Thanks :D

Even if you ONLY want to protect the lens you should think twice. Any piece of glas in front of your lens will affect the light going through. There are some pictures here in the forum showing what a cheap filter can do ... nothing useful but plenty of garbage. It doesn't need to be Rodenstock or B+W but 8.50 is a bit too cheap. Hoya is recommended as brand of lower price but still good quality.

Erm.....what other filter? Skylight?

I saw that filter, and actually got one.

I'm also quite interested to know why the other filter $32.50

They didnt state what type of filter it was too. They merely said "Optical filter"

I saw that filter, and actually got one.
I'm also quite interested to know why the other filter $32.50
They didnt state what type of filter it was too. They merely said "Optical filter"

That is same as to get McDonald's stuff and name it "Nutritious Meal"...
Guys, you spent 4 digit numbers for your camera and then you become stingy about a filter? Nothing about being cost-conscious, but a filter for 10 bucks or less should be out of discussion. Check what you want to get (brand, model, type) and feel free to ask questions about the filter here. But without proper information no proper answer. One cannot verify value for money without a minimum of information.

i would say, hoya UV filter is enough for normal lens, unless you are buying the high end lens (those that cost 4 digits or more), you might want to really consider buying a good filter like the B+W (which normally cost up to $200 for the bigger lens) to make sure you are making full use of your ex lens.

oh and to clear things up, UV filter has minimal effect on color temperature kinda not visible to the eye, its just to act as a protector for your lens. And yes, the quality differences between hoya and B+W is really significant, if you are using a real high end lens.

in short, at least get a hoya.

Status
Not open for further replies.