Difference between 3 and 4 section tripods

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPresident

Aug 1, 2009
Hi, im new to dSLR and would like to get a tripod that does not cost too much (like the Benros). But I would first like to know the pros and cons of a 3 section vs 4section tripod.

Can anyone provide some insights please?

Thanks very much

From what i know, a 4-section tripod can be retracted to a shorter height than the 3-section one.

Hi, im new to dSLR and would like to get a tripod that does not cost too much (like the Benros). But I would first like to know the pros and cons of a 3 section vs 4section tripod.

Can anyone provide some insights please?

Thanks very much

3 section tripods are quicker to extend and theoretically more rigid. However, 4 section tripods fold up shorter.

3 section tripod
1. lighter in terms of weight
2. shorter in terms of full height
3. longer when retracted
4. last section not that flimsy
5. cheaper
6. slimmer

4 section tripod
1. heavier
2. higher full extension
3. more compact when retracted
4. thin flimsy last section
5. more expensive
6. thicker/bulkier in size

the above is a general characteristic of tripod with the same weight load class from their respective brands.

do note that point 4. regarding the last section leg is not always true as some brands/model have strong last section legs

Last edited:
3 section tripods are quicker to extend and theoretically more rigid. However, 4 section tripods fold up shorter.

Agree.
Regarding the rigid, you can try imagine, if a hypothetical 'one section' tripod should be more rigid then a two section one. So, more section, less rigid.

Thanks everyone, for your valuable comments.

3 section tripod
1. lighter in terms of weight
2. shorter in terms of full height
3. longer when retracted
4. last section not that flimsy
5. cheaper
6. slimmer

4 section tripod
1. heavier
2. higher full extension
3. more compact when retracted
4. thin flimsy last section
5. more expensive
6. thicker/bulkier in size

the above is a general characteristic of tripod with the same weight load class from their respective brands.

do note that point 4. regarding the last section leg is not always true as some brands/model have strong last section legs

Not all 4 sections tripod are heavier than 3 section tripod. I have a 5 section tripod lighter than a 3 or 4 section tripod. Its compact and expensive, that i do agree.
As for filmsy, not always true.
You pay peanuts, you get monkey. so dependon your investment also. :bsmilie:

it is true, all other things being equal.

:) that's the only way one can do comparison what.

if not, you might as well say a 1.55m tall guy might be taller as a 1.7 m tall guy, because he can wear 20 cm silts.

Not all 4 sections tripod are heavier than 3 section tripod. I have a 5 section tripod lighter than a 3 or 4 section tripod. Its compact and expensive, that i do agree.
You pay peanuts, you get monkey. so dependon your investment also. :bsmilie:

my comparison is base on the same model range from the same brand itself and not between different brand and model

ie. brand A can have a ABC series and within this series got 3 section or 4 section for a certain weight load class. then normally the 4 section is heavier than the 3 section, and the last section could be more flimsy on the 4 section version than on the 3 section version.

Status
Not open for further replies.