diff between B+W/Hoya CPL filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

waderbreak

Feb 2, 2009
hi all,

would liek to gather opinions as to which is the better buy in terms of vignetting reduction, coating quality. I plan to be using it on a canon 10-22mm UWA. Any users with this setup? Feedback greatly appreciated.

1) B+W MRC F-Pro 77mm
2) B+W MRC F-Pro slim
3) B+W F-Pro (is this the non-coated one i should avoid?)
4) Hoya S HMC CPL
5) Hoya Pro1 CPL
6) Hoya Pro1d DMC CPL
7) Hoya HD CPL

Apparently it's quite confusing when i searched up on clubsnap and there wasn't anything that substantive as to which to get. Some say Hoya HD better cause easier to clean, but less light transmission, some say B+W has better coating, also easy to clean. help.

Regards.

Hmm is the site you mentioned applicable for polarizers, since it tests only UV filters?

Since your lens is UWA, I think the slim version is better to help minimize vignetting.

i am using canon 10-22 with Hoya HD CPL... looks ok. din notice any vignetting. Hopes that helps :)

For Digital Cameras... Mostly.. not all..... and lasrgly Zoom Lens.. there will always be some degree on vignetting.. Just that it is no as 'Visible' to the human eyes...

If you are talking about Obvious Corner Vignetting, UWA Lens are more prone.
Not sure id Good filters will reduce vignetting.

For 10~22, If you stack 2 filters .. say the UV + CPL... both 77mm and not slim.. my guess is you will see some dark corners appearing. There is a reason why UWA lens hood are sooooo 'Fat'....

But.. then.. B+W filters... they make the view finder look so bright.! Compare to Hoya.

Well.. to be safe... buy a 77~82mm stack up ring and buy a 82mm CPL (Quite hard to find...). :-}

Cheers.

Last edited:
difference in price quite great right? btw hoya and B+W CPL filters.

well, if you're a frequent user, hoya makes more economical choice if you're prone to getting it hit. at least it's cheaper to replace. the B+W filter once break your wallet pain.

IIRC, Hoya HD series and B+W MRC both have 8 layers of coating on each side.
http://www.hoyafilter.com/products/hoya/HD-01.html
http://www.schneiderkreuznach.de/knowhow/mrc_e.htm

By looking at the mass sales section there's not much of a $$ difference between these filters. Given a choice, I'd go with Hoya HD instead of B+W as the traditional claim of easier to clean in B+W is much more easier in Hoya HD.

Do note that if you're a frequent changer of Filters, the Brass rings on B+W are definitely a boon!

Isn't it their tests are a bit outdated? They do not include Hoya HD in the tests at all as HD wasn't available during that time. Hoya HD has a completely different spec than those earlier HMC, SMC and Pro1D..IMHO..

no idea why its left out but its a new article dated on 2009-07-13.

Status
Not open for further replies.