Did you ever meet rude joggers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

commonjunks

Jul 23, 2009
Jurong
Yesterday i went with one of CS friend to botanic garden for shooting.
We were shooting some birds and all of sudden this lady jogger pass by us (our tripod were at the end of path way half of pathway was occupied by us and half for other passer by, it was not like we were camping there but we were standing there only to shoot a duck sitting in the pond). At first she said you guys are consuming half of the walk way, on her next lap she said it is peak hour you guys should come at 1 or later.
I was kind of very upset that it is public park and it is not like we are standing in the middle and consuming entire space. I seen kids bicycling and ppl bring around baby pram but she didn't bother to said anything but start picking on us, i don't know if she every kenna tripped by any other photographer in past :dunno:.

She's just telling you that you're obstructing the path. Don't see how that constitutes "being rude".

Had met similar situation, but mine encounter is not rude.

I was shooting bird at JP, after much effort of going close to it, and a jogger just happily run in between me and my subject.....the path is so wide and he just me the "just to bad" look.... and my subject never return that day to the same location.

When shooting macro, i encounter countless of curious bypasser scare off my subject...

Nothing much i can do, it is a public place, i just smile to the person and take it as part of the challage.

Last edited:
Give and take la friends... no need to get upset over small issues. Cheers!

I used to jog.

I had joggers (jokers) who do not know how to share a two way road. I was on left edge of left lane. Opposite jogger from farthest portion of right lane crossed the road and run into my path, forcing me to give way.

Also cyclists who just have to clip other joggers / pedestrians when they pass each other.
Will be worse when more electrical cycles are on the road.

erm pathway is for ppl to jog or walk.
if u placed a tripod, it constitutes an obstruction.
does not matter if u have left half of it for running or if it is a wide path.

i draw u an analogy,
bicycles on a jogging/walking path -> obstruction?

Rude people are everywhere lah. The other day, I was with someone @ Yishun shopping, standing at a wide walkway on the side. Suddenly this auntie shouted loudly: EXCUSE ME!! and I had to give way. Autopsy showed that deserted walkway was more than 25feet!

I was @ botanics yesterday too the entire day. Met some rude guys with cameras.. pretending to shoot flowers, but was shooting my model instead! and blocking my bokeh right behind her. Least they could do is ask for permission if they can shoot, I would have
oblidged.

erm pathway is for ppl to jog or walk.
if u placed a tripod, it constitutes an obstruction.
does not matter if u have left half of it for running or if it is a wide path.

i draw u an analogy,
bicycles on a jogging/walking path -> obstruction?

Pathway is not a designated jogging path, usage of pathway in SBG include bird watching and photography.

Do checkup SBG website as SBG is not a sport complex. :)

Last edited:
a. why must your tripod be on the path ? were u not able to move it onto the grass area ?
b. she lapped and u were still there @ the same spot ?
c. bicycles and prams are not stationery - they are moving on the pathway as such they are deemed to be not blocking the "flow"

I believe zero o hit the nail on the head. A tripod is a stationary obstacle, and if placed on a footpath, would be considered as an obstruction to the users of the footpath. There are many places overseas e.g. enclosed butterfly houses where the use of a tripod is prohibited (and signage at the ticketing counter indicates so). This is because visitors will be obstructed if tripods are put on the footpath, whether partially or fully.

In crowded Singapore, a little consideration will go a long way to avoid unpleasant encounters.

I was at MacRitchie once, and was with a monopod on the side of the track shooting a butterfly that had perched on a leaf. A young couple came from behind, and I heard the lady ask her partner "what's he shooting?". When the guy saw that I was shooting a butterfly, he promptly whipped out his little P&S, pushed past me and tried to put his camera in front of the butterfly to shoot it. The little butterfly took off in no time at all at his rough intrusion.

:dunno: Just laugh it off and move on.

No jogger in my story but cyclist
I got run down by a cyclist on a road bike before at ECP, thank god my gear was all in my bag.

Cyclist flew over me, my bag flew to the other end of the road, thank god all the gears were intact, Domke F2 padding not bad:bsmilie: I added DIY padding myself inside! heehee! got a hairline fracture on my ankle after a visit to the doctor 2 days later. Heng can claim company medical expenses

Cyclist did not apologise, had her husband screaming at me instead, brainless ang mo, thank god a taxi driver & some other on-lookers came to my aid.

Getting hit head on by a road bike going at more than 30km/h is no joke, my ankle stopped an entire bike at that speed :(

Last edited:
No jogger in my story but cyclist
I got run down by a cyclist on a road bike before at ECP, thank god my gear was all in my bag.

Cyclist flew over me, my bag flew to the other end of the road, thank god all the gears were intact, Domke F2 padding not bad:bsmilie: I added DIY padding myself inside! heehee! got a hairline fracture on my ankle after a visit to the doctor 2 days later. Heng can claim company medical expenses

Cyclist did not apologise, had her husband screaming at me instead, brainless ang mo, thank god a taxi driver & some other on-lookers came to my aid.

Getting hit head on by a road bike going at more than 30km/h is no joke, my ankle stopped an entire bike at that speed :(

were u on the cyclist part or the walkers part? if you are on the cyclist part...i guess the angmo got some rights to shout at u... but if u were on the walkers path, i would claim damages from them. all the gears no spoil also make spoil to buy new ones

Last time i was rollerblading and this jogger did not even give way to me in the end i smash the wall =.= after that he ran away!

I don't think i want to fight ppl, but if path way is big enough that one can easily pass what is the point to pass funny comments.
@Cartman2000, maybe yah she was telling me but the way she deliver her sentence seems like she is ordering us. I being polite said sorry but second time when she ask to come after 1 (i didn't like it).
@tribal.snake, next time i will ask my subject (birds) to be in right position ;) (BTW i was at Symphony lake, it is meant for ppl to see and enjoy what is inside/around lake and not for joggers to jog around the path, I can tell you a few feet away a number of ppl were sitting on pathway and feeding fish in lake and those ppl were take more than half of the path).
@zero o, if you have ever seen Symphony lake it take 2~3 minutes to run around lake. and as i mentioned a few feet away about 50+ ppl were sitting on pathway they were more stationary than us.
@dennisc, sorry bro it was not me. I was caring a 400mm prime lens cannot take your model picture ;).
Singapore is a very small place and not many places have gardens, i hope ppl don't take it for granted that gardens are meant for joggers and no one else have right to enjoy their day, but i know that aunty is not reading this thread :bsmilie:.
I think in future i will go to JG and CG, more space and less ppl ;).

If you leave the tripod on the pathway blocking others, guess you are at fault. Think the jogger is just reminding you.

Is her tone very harsh? Don't sound too rude to me if what she is doing is to just point out what you are doing is very inconsiderate.

Think I've been in most of these situations, as a driver, cyclist, pedestrian and of course photographer -- not to pass judgement on any of the previously mentioned situations, but I think one of the biggest problems here is the inability to SHARE, esp public facilities.

It's always "me first, me first", "I got right to use also, what", "Why must I give way?" or something similar. And it's being passed from parents to kids :(

Hmmm ... I must be getting old and blind cause i seem to have missed your mentioning about the 50+ people sitting and more stationary than you in your original post. :)

You could be right, maybe the so called "aunty" is just not happy with GWCs and decided that you must be one and needed to have a telling off ... anyways live and let live .. life is too complicated as it is.

Heck care bout aunties, rude people are everywhere. They're irritating nonetheless, blame it on environment, blame it on genes..
But if you happen to see 2 people with weird props below last Sun, that's us! :bsmilie:

(sorry bout the censor and bad editing/pic, model isn't ready to release her storyblog just yet)
IMG_1258-1.jpg

aiya.. like that i die already.. everytime UWA, i have to kill people and move their bodies out of the frame..

To TS...

I have personally met tons of such people.
Just treat them as invisible and ignore them will do.

If they want to quarrel, you say that by quarreling you're increasing noise pollution. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.