Did we miss out something here ?? Capabilities of the DA 16 - 50 f/2.8

maverickh

Mar 22, 2009
Much has been talked about the various ultra wide angle lens from PENTAX and Sigma . However if one needs a quick and varsatile lens, i think the much neglected DA 16 - 50 f/2.8 is highly capable for the task. For a start the focal length of 16mm gives a film equivalent of 24mm , which is considered wide . this angle already gives a good perspective in most situations . Then there is the 50mm , giving a good 75mm, which is suitable for portrait, with good oof at f/2.8. Below are some examples of what this lens is capable. Other Pentaxians with this lens are free to contribute their photos taken with this lens in this thread.

IMGP8462 by maverick_h, on Flickr

The lens is also good for landscape or catching the recent National Day fireworks display. some examples below .

IMGP8682 by maverick_h, on Flickr

I am particularly happy with this picture, as it demonstrate the low light performance of both the K-5 and this fast lens. Taken hand held, 16mm, 1/8s, f/2.8 ISO 1600.

IMGP8540 by maverick_h, on Flickr

Nice shots, esp. the flowers.

16mm for landscapes, 24-35mm for walkabout, 50mm for portraits and less DOF shots. f2.8
Weather sealed too.
The DA*16-50/2.8 is certainly a good lens and until very recently, one of the unique offerings that no other maker has.

Nice shots, esp. the flowers.

16mm for landscapes, 24-35mm for walkabout, 50mm for portraits and less DOF shots. f2.8
Weather sealed too.
The DA*16-50/2.8 is certainly a good lens and until very recently, one of the unique offerings that no other maker has.

agree... only complain i have is the size and weight :sweat: wish it could be smaller.

i really liked it when i had it. very versatile range, fast, sharp and WR.

agree... only complain i have is the size and weight :sweat: wish it could be smaller.

i really liked it when i had it. very versatile range, fast, sharp and WR.

Just brought it to a week long trip to Melbourne, where it stayed on my camera 90% of the time - the 16mm was surprisingly usable. I actually thought for the focal range it covers & it being a f2.8 lens the weight was OK, maybe becos I don't bring more than 3 lenses out most of the time.

My only wish was for it to be cheaper, or sharper wide open. At the current price I can't say its a value for money lens when tamron offers the same FL range & arguably similar IQ & f2.8 at much lower prices, & so many much sharper fast primes are available from Pentax. However, if you require one lens that is both WR (for peace of mind) & covers ~16-50mm @ f2.8, then there is no real alternatives eg. parents who use their cameras in the pool in pinholecam's other thread :p

My contribution of the usage of the DA*1650

Martini-3611.jpg

Martini-3604.jpg