Did i just get conned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xylphz

Oct 27, 2009
Drop Weight Like Sin City
On 19th May 2010.
I was on my way to Cathay Photo (Peninsula) to get my AF-S 70-200 f/2.8 VR II
the salesperson quoted me S$3,200 (Price with GST) (WITHOUT FILTER)

while i checked the price list standard price is FOR THIS LENS from other shops:
S$2950 - AP Sim Lim
S$3150 - SLR REVO

after that the person added one kenko uv filter which costs $70
and 1 more digital drawing pad for graphic designers which costs $129 then he gimme discount become S$60..

total up is SGD$3330..

and after i bought it, my heart like itchy itchy (you guys know what i mean in chinese :x)
then i feel like i've got conned around S$100-S$200..

so... did i bought the worth exact price for all the additional accessories in it? sorry for my bad english :/

Last edited:
Depends on what you mean by "get conned"?

I often buy from Cathay Pacific, both Peninsula and Marina Square. Prices may be higher than other shops. Why? I know I'm getting it from a reputable shop of more than 50 years, and I'm paying extra for their excellent service from knowledgeable sales persons.

But again, if you watch your pennies, then maybe you'd feel "conned".

2 sides to a coin always.

Cheers!

The sales person used one of the oldest and still most used tricks: while quoting the lens price in correct way he added some stuffs where obviously you didn't do homework. $70 for an UV filter from Kenko is a bit on the high side. If you don't need the drawing pad then yo have wasted this money anyway. No point getting it and later "let's see what I can do with it". After all, your damage is not that high ... lesson learned, move on and use the lens.

I think it's not a matter of being conned. But that you need to check the prices of other reputable stores such as MS Color, AP, etc to compare prices for the same items. Sometimes, the prices can differ by 100-200. Bearing in mind, you must always take the whole price with GST included to compare properly.

I find that MS Color usually has the best price and their service is decent. Check out the CS thread on price guide (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124) before deciding which store to visit.

Depends on what you mean by "get conned"?

I often buy from Cathay Pacific, both Peninsula and Marina Square. Prices may be higher than other shops. Why? I know I'm getting it from a reputable shop of more than 50 years, and I'm paying extra for their excellent service from knowledgeable sales persons.

But again, if you watch your pennies, then maybe you'd feel "conned".

2 sides to a coin always.

Cheers!

While typing Cathay Photo,did you thought of Hong Kong and instead typed Cathay Pacific?:think::dunno::bsmilie:

List price for the lens is $3699, so u got a discount and there's definitely no "conning here". But it's always good to compare prices before committing to big purchases (I usually check with the major stores before buying).

On 19th May 2010.
total up is SGD$3330..

lens bought, so just make full use of it and enjoy the quality of the images it produces.

lens bought, so just make full use of it and enjoy the quality of the images it produces.

agreed.. its already a $$$ spent, so make it count.. i m sure you will enjoy the quality output by this lens :)

dun tink too much, next time find out more 1st before u make a purchase.. i m sure u went into the shop knowing what is ur own budget, if not how can you spent that kind of $$

cheers~

agree 100% with uncle jopel,

TS, why make yourself unhappy or happy where conned or not conned? you joy should come from using the lens.

btw, Cathy Photos is a reputable stores, I've patron them since 80's, price is slightly on the high side, but this is paying for premium service.

I find that MS Color usually has the best price and their service is decent. Check out the CS thread on price guide (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124) before deciding which store to visit.

In my buying experience, MS Color usually has the one of the higher prices. But then again, I look like a carrot, maybe thats why they like to chop me when I go there.

At this moment, I think SLRR offers very good pricing, and I would check there first.

I dun pereceive u to be cheated in this case.
Firstly, brand new peice of that lens at the time u bot it is ard there becos of the strong appreciation of joy agst sgd
2ndly, CP is the big brother in the retail business n for their service n wide range of products being offered, I won't mind paying it abut more ( what's make u tink they have like 20 salesperson serving on a busy sat)
lastly, percentage of loss nt much leh, nt even 10%, anything more, then I will considered it as kena conned..

Move on la, stop brooding over it :)

Sometimes, we buy used stuff and often after buying we feel bad when another similar item is up for sale at a lower price but we feel shiok when the similar item goes for a higher price (after you have bought yours). It is natural but it will bring the value of your purchase to a zero sum equation. The happy person is one who feels that at the time of buying he got a good deal for his money. Next he uses the item. The worst feeling is after paying; never mind perceived cheap or expensive (the thing that you planned to buy for so long), it becomes a white elephant. Listen to this old uncle...go use to the fullest, enjoy your purchase.............. You will be happy.

Even if another shop has it for $100-200 cheaper for a $3000+ lens doesn't mean you got conned, prices definitely do vary from shop to shop... Else 7-11 with their $2 cokes must be the biggest con job in Singapore then :p

Even if another shop has it for $100-200 cheaper for a $3000+ lens doesn't mean you got conned, prices definitely do vary from shop to shop... Else 7-11 with their $2 cokes must be the biggest con job in Singapore then :p

Now 7-11 is selling grip-bottle coke for $1... :bsmilie:

No you didn't.

You still get the lens at a lower than recommended selling price
You have no guarantee the other shops will give you the price listed
It is a business transaction. He sells you some stuff at higher price to get higher margin for his shop and you agreed to the price.
At no time did he say you must get something or his bouncer won't let you go out the door.

There are price variance in the market, just because you didn't pay the lowest price does not mean you got conned.

In general, people should start understanding that it is not an obligation for vendors to sell things at the cheapest price as business owners have difference running costs. If you want the best price, just do your research. If you want convenience, just drop by any of the big shops, you probably won't get the best price, but you definitely won't get hoodwinked.

I love the example given of 7 Eleven, that is the best case for comparison.

what i know, cathay photo is quite expensive to other shops, i recommend that u check or scout the smaller shops before u get something that u really want to buy, i recommend u check out the things in southern cross lucky plaza look for anthony, eventhough he is a bit KK he's price is good and u can ask for freebies, most of my gadgets and accessories are from their shop.

btw, Cathy Photos is a reputable stores, I've patron them since 80's, price is slightly on the high side, but this is paying for premium service.

I don't think Cathay will con anyone. Their overhead is higher so their prices are slightly higher but service and product range is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.