Did i get ripped off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dormy

Nov 11, 2008
Im new and this salesman kind of lured me to buy some stuff, was actually looking for a UV filter but he offered me this package. He even demonstrated the lens on my camera.

Grobartig 2.5x Telephoto add on lens + Vitacon 55mm UV filter for $180
:dunno:
can someone estimate the actual price of the above?

No point asking now since you have already bought it.

Next time do your homework before going to the shops and always patronize the reputable shops that we usually go to.

Im new and this salesman kind of lured me to buy some stuff, was actually looking for a UV filter but he offered me this package. He even demonstrated the lens on my camera.

Did u check with other shops? I now usually shop at "well-known" or recommended shops such as MS Color.

Got ripped off once when i first bght my prosumer in SLS. So lesson learnt. Suggest you do some market research and jst get what u need.

I knw some telephoto lens like the one he recommended cost between $90 - $120 thereabouts. Not sure abt the filter though.

Did u check with other shops? I now usually shop at "well-known" or recommended shops such as MS Color.

Got ripped off once when i first bght my prosumer in SLS. So lesson learnt. Suggest you do some market research and jst get what u need.

I knw some telephoto lens like the one he recommended cost between $90 - $120 thereabouts. Not sure abt the filter though.

Those lenses vary in price from 30 to 100 SGD. A 55mm UV filter is maybe $10.

Why oh why do people buy first, then research???

just wanna see how much money i got cheated of, if its a lot I will complain to CASE.
I did some research and I found out i bought it from a scam shop called WORLDWIDE CENTRE @ Penisula Plaza. :(

Yep, I think you got ripped off...I was once quoted an astounding $300 for that same lens, And managed to bargain it down to $180, even then I was still suspicious of that "grobartig" brand, I mean I haven't even heard of it before, and I turned to leave. Then the salesman quoted me a "student's price" of $120.:dunno: Lucky I didn't buy, found out from my friend that its price was not even $50.

Lesson learnt -> never buy things you have never seen before or have never heard of. :dunno:

never wise to run ahead of yourself:nono:

$180 for a lesson learnt is cheap. Those Vitacon filters.... sounds like ahem..... to me. Not that they are useless, but unless ur expectation of IQ is not high, they are okay to live with :)

well, now that u have spent that sum of $, better make good use of it. And dont be impulsive in buying stuff. That's what I learnt. Shop, research, enquire, then decide. :)

Sorry to hear what happened. There have been similar threads recently, but
i suspect the numbers are are just the tip of the iceberg.
At least you did not commit to pricier items like lenses.
Like what PhotoProZero mentioned, learn something from this experience.

Ryan

Someone in CS was selling their used 'Grobartig' 2.5x TC @ $40 BNP..

Vitacon is a brand created by a local company - http://www.photoconsumer.com/company.html

Wouldn't be surprised if "Grobartig" was the same - a 'brand' slapped on a generic product.

I think ultimately, now that you've already made ur purchase, dont think abt it. Jst make good use of the items. Jst be careful next time. :)

until today, i still dont understand why people ask if they were ripped off only after buying the stuff.

newbie in photography or not, unless u are a kid, than i have got nothing to say, but ranging from young adult to older ones?

do u mean that ur life long learning is only worth that much? come on, we are not talking about elaborated plan to con u, its just simple walk into the shop to buy things.

since already registered here in CS, dont u do research before going on a buy buy buy trip to the shops? or havent u see enough of this kind of thread by other csers? or that u prefer to learn from ur own mistake ($$$) but not from others (foc)?

sorry if this sounds hursh, but pls, guys, grow up and start learning.

just wanna see how much money i got cheated of, if its a lot I will complain to CASE.
I did some research and I found out i bought it from a scam shop called WORLDWIDE CENTRE @ Penisula Plaza. :(
by all means....as long you have the receipt. If the items at hand has a SRP and they are overcharging, you got a case but its whether you want to pursue. try getting the same items with quotations from other shops as black and white.

Someone in CS was selling their used 'Grobartig' 2.5x TC @ $40 BNP..

Vitacon is a brand created by a local company - http://www.photoconsumer.com/company.html

Wouldn't be surprised if "Grobartig" was the same - a 'brand' slapped on a generic product.

Actually, the word correctly spelled is "großartig" - German word for 'great'. The character 'ß' is a German character which is often mistaken for either β (the Greek letter 'beta') or a 'B'.
Anyway, the quality of that stuff is far from being great and one should take off his fingers from that .. stuff. Seems they try to imitate German products (but there is no such product from any German manufacturer).

Actually, the word correctly spelled is "großartig" - German word for 'great'. The character 'ß' is a German character which is often mistaken for either β (the Greek letter 'beta') or a 'B'.
Anyway, the quality of that stuff is far from being great and one should take off his fingers from that .. stuff. Seems they try to imitate German products (but there is no such product from any German manufacturer).

Wunderbar! You got it spot on...

Status
Not open for further replies.