Did authorities do enough during recent flood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

centuryegg

Aug 16, 2005
Just want to open this up for discussion. During the recent flash floods, there were instances of extensive flooding in central and northern areas. Cars were submerged and some areas heavily flooded. My question is could the crisis be better managed?

Was there sufficent warning to the public on what roads were heavily flooded and to avoid? Should the roads had been closed and traffic diverted? Flooding was imminent, McRichite was overflowing and engineers were there to try to stall it. Hence shouldn't a warning have been issued by then to residents in surrounding areas?

I am asking this because it seems the official statement by authorities is "We did issue out warning of possible heavy rain 6 months ago in leaflets" However should not there have been by the hour updates instead of silence. I feel that this is a test of our crisis management, if we cannot even handle something like this, we should really reflect on it as it spells disaster should we have a real big crisis. I don't think we are up to it to handle it.

The roads did get closed and traffic was diverted. Luckily Joan Road isn't an arterial road. But the radio was full of reports of the traffic situation, and 3 TP WRXes dispatched to seal the traffic (which goes to show the level of effort there).

I believe that there are contingency plans for the overflow of the flood gates at MacRitchie - however the rain was so intense that the drain system could not keep up with the flow. I was there. I don't see how you can measure water rushing over the top of the floodgates, cascading down like a miniature Niagara Falls.

The only way you'd know if a downstream area can't cope with the outflow is when it starts to flood.

Personal view, i think they have done great in terms of infrastructure, even though there were floods but if it was in other country the floods would be much worse on a much wider area.

I do hear hourly updates regarding the flood situation on class 95 news, but i am not too sure about TV...

Of course there will always be room for improvement and that is where feedback will help?

Cheers! :)

Another note:

If you want to see how bad it could have been, you only need to look up north across the border.

Another note:

If you want to see how bad it could have been, you only need to look up north across the border.

actually, dun really need to. anyone who grew up during the 70s-80s will still remember the big swimming lagoon called bukit timah during the monsoon season.

so, dun complain. things really are a lot lot better. ;)

actually, dun really need to. anyone who grew up during the 70s-80s will still remember the big swimming lagoon called bukit timah during the monsoon season.

so, dun complain. things really are a lot lot better. ;)

I remember those days, but centuryegg might not, so it is better to give a current-day example.

It is not complaining, as I said it is a discussion. I am just pointing out issues that I think can be improved on rather than keeping quiet when I find there is something wrong. And FYI I know what it is like to be caught in a flood, I am not that young.

I personally feel the warning system could have been fine tuned. One good news though is the cab company will cover the damages for the cabs damaged in the incident. From what I know, insurance does not cover flood damage, it is listed as act of God (Please correct me if I am wrong, this is what my car agent told me)

One of the drivers was featured in the papers yesterday, he was crying as he said he didnt know how he is going to repay the damage cost to the cab company. Good that he now doesnt have to worry.

IMHO, like a lot of unexpected situations, hind sight is always 10/10.

Could the authorities have do more / better? - Probably yes.

Was there any severe short-coming in the manner which they handled this "crisis"? - I don't think so - at least there doesn't seem to be. If anyone has any facts, do share for (calm and rational) discussion.

In any case, I think there's still possibility of another flooding - given that the monsoon isn't expect to end soon, and there'll be high tides expected over the next few days.

I personally feel the warning system could have been fine tuned.

How? If you feel they're not doing enough, you must have an idea of how to do enough. How? Better yet. Don't tell me. Write to the authorities you feel aren't doing enough.

I also felt that singapore survived pretty well through that BIG RAIN. not many areas were flooded.

:think: in those days Spore dun consider itself as a first world country
sorry. .but I don't quite catch the repeated use of the term "first world" is it the same operators as the one in genting?

Haha Shinken, you are sound so much like our ruling party!! Dont tell us we are not doing job right unless you can give us solutions!!

Well for one

1) I feel that damage control could have been better managed. More warnings could be issued to areas affected and more assistance given. Warnings means door to door warning that flooding is imminent, take measures now! Of course not door to door to HDB flats but to houses, nurseries. Help could have been given in form of sandbags to dam the flow and perhaps engineers to instruct where to lay them for maximum effect?

2) Stop saying that warning was given 6 months ago in the form of leaflets. Things like this, you have to inform, educate. You dont send a leaflet to someone's house and tell them 6 months later heavy rain expected, take measures. Who will remember it? Especially when we seldom have a flood like this.

Just my humble thoughts from a poor peasant offering his views.

Haha Shinken, you are sound so much like our ruling party!! Dont tell us we are not doing job right unless you can give us solutions!!

Well for one

1) I feel that damage control could have been better managed. More warnings could be issued to areas affected and more assistance given. Warnings means door to door warning that flooding is imminent, take measures now! You are serious about this aren't you? You have any idea what manpower it's gonna take? Worse still, the kind of panic it'll incure?

Help could have been given in form of sandbags to dam the flow and perhaps engineers to instruct where to lay them for maximum effect?

You seriously know what you're talking about?

2) Stop saying that warning was given 6 months ago in the form of leaflets. Things like this, you have to inform, educate. You dont send a leaflet to someone's house and tell them 6 months later heavy rain expected, take measures. Who will remember it? Especially when we seldom have a flood like this.

Back to my question. Then how? It's so easy to point out what's lacking. But in the real world, every system has areas for improvement. So your role here, if you're serious about making a difference, is really to feedback to the relevant decision makers on specific areas lacking, and if possible, propose solutions.

I'm a poor peasant too. And I thank God everyday that I don't have to be a member of the ruling party. For a country to move, we don't always have to look to our political leaders. The more the people depend on them on having the answer all the time, the more the leaders will think they're the only one with the right solutions.

So when we do give positive constructive feedback, how valuable will this feedback be i)in the decision-makers' eyes (who are solely depended on being the ones with all the answers), or in ii), reality (people has been so used to them being the only ones with the answers)

You get what I'm trying to say here? Active participation can be positive. Grouching is not necessarily negative. But the way you are doing it now, I've to say I can't find any value apart from incurring negative feelings among people. If that counts as value.

Well for one

1) I feel that damage control could have been better managed. More warnings could be issued to areas affected and more assistance given. Warnings means door to door warning that flooding is imminent, take measures now! Of course not door to door to HDB flats but to houses, nurseries. Help could have been given in form of sandbags to dam the flow and perhaps engineers to instruct where to lay them for maximum effect?

Since you said it could have been done better, why not you do it? No point giving solutions if you are not going to do it.

Just want to open this up for discussion. During the recent flash floods, there were instances of extensive flooding in central and northern areas. Cars were submerged and some areas heavily flooded. My question is could the crisis be better managed?

Was there sufficent warning to the public on what roads were heavily flooded and to avoid? Should the roads had been closed and traffic diverted? Flooding was imminent, McRichite was overflowing and engineers were there to try to stall it. Hence shouldn't a warning have been issued by then to residents in surrounding areas?

I am asking this because it seems the official statement by authorities is "We did issue out warning of possible heavy rain 6 months ago in leaflets" However should not there have been by the hour updates instead of silence. I feel that this is a test of our crisis management, if we cannot even handle something like this, we should really reflect on it as it spells disaster should we have a real big crisis. I don't think we are up to it to handle it.

No, think the authorities did not give enough warnings. When they said they issued warnings 6 months ago in leaflets, who can actually remember that warning? We should always be kept updated and not 6 months ago.

sorry. .but I don't quite catch the repeated use of the term "first world" is it the same operators as the one in genting?

Cost of living is going up but i dun see our standards of living improving.

A few hours of rain caused so much inconvience, and the authorities should do more instead

of expecting us to bear with this every time of the year.

There is no point comparing us with ppl living north across the bridge or conditions during

20 years ago .

Status
Not open for further replies.