Dicapac waterproof casing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOKARA

Dec 16, 2007
Hi guys,

I need help here.

Just got one today and try to test it by soaking it in water for like 30mins and realise some water droplets sip through?! Was shocked and wonder what will happen if saltwater touches my LX3...sigh

Anyone got similar experience to share?

hi there. i bought a dicapac in june and i tested the pack when i went snorkelling in koh samui. in water for over 30 mins and nothing goes through.

You mentioned that water droplets went in? May i ask if u observed water droplets inside when its immersed in water? or did you see water droplets inside only after you open the case to retrieve the camera?

as long as when it is immersed in water and there is no leakage, then i reckon it should be fine!

hi there,

First test, i observed water droplets inside whilst submerged in water.

2nd test now after tightening the lens more, is better.

Both occassions, i observed that there will always be some droplets near the mouth of the plastic casing when open.

do you notice same?

Yes, there will be droplets near the opening of the pac especially when you open the case up. I recalled reading from the manual that one should take care when opening up the pac after use. But of course, when you are using it underwater, you wont be opening up the case until you are on dry land. Its good fun when i went to Samui with the dicapac and many foreigners were impressed with this item!

really appreciates your help here.

at least now i know is norm to observe some droplets near opening the pac.

but my 3rd test just now oso quite sad. i found some droplets inside the pac but not near the transparent portion.

i will go to GMM Technoworld and check them out.

Can i suggest that you remove the pac and dry it thoroughly with a dry towel but use tissue for the inside? Try drying it out and then ensure the lens cap is tightened and the opening securely fasten and try it one more time. Perhaps it might save you a trip down to that place. Also when you immerse it in water the next time, observe to see if there is air bubbles escaping from the pac. if no air bubbles then its secure!

on my 4th test and like the rest earlier, i noted that there will always be droplets inside the bag when open. but funny these droplets will not go beyond the transparent portion of the pac but around the colored portion area.

maybe thats why the manual says when opening the bag, always point down so water droplets inside can roll down?!

Can i suggest that you remove the pac and dry it thoroughly with a dry towel but use tissue for the inside? Try drying it out and then ensure the lens cap is tightened and the opening securely fasten and try it one more time. Perhaps it might save you a trip down to that place. Also when you immerse it in water the next time, observe to see if there is air bubbles escaping from the pac. if no air bubbles then its secure!

CONFIRM got bubbles coming from the sides of the zip loc area. i see it every time i put it in water!

so yours got no bubbles?

i confirm press the zip loc part so hard my fingers hurt but still same sigh

Last edited:
CONFIRM got bubbles coming from the sides of the zip loc area. i see it every time i put it in water!

so yours got no bubbles?

i confirm press the zip loc part so hard my fingers hurt but still same sigh

Bubble sure will have abit initially.. unless it's streaming bubbles non stop, it's not an issue..
Mine has some droplets but not in the camera area.. only near the seams of the opening, but it should not breach that area and enter the pack.. used it for diving even with no flooding (yes, not recommended but the cam's an old cam)

last time when i was testing out some very high quality ziplock bags for army use, this was what i did:

1) stuff lots of toilet paper inside the bag.
2) submerge it into water.
3) look for signs of leakage by seeing if the toilet paper is wet.
4) if there are no signs of leakage, prob the water you saw were the results of you opening up the package.

maybe u can try doing it on ur Dicapac.

maybe u got a faulty piece, so just get a new piece... i've use a Dicapac for my IXUS 60 for quite a number of dives without any problems... only issue it at depths more than 15m, due the high pressure, won't be able to operate the camera as the buttons will be all be compressed. but even so no leakage whatsoever

Status
Not open for further replies.