diamonds from "diamond industries pte Ltd"

Status
Not open for further replies.

song

Feb 23, 2002
homex.coolconnect.com
Hi folks from cs,

need to see if Diamond industries is reliable enough for me to buy diamond rings for my gf. Please comment.

they claimed to have GIA certified diamonds, so can things still go wrong?

Diamond industries has not been registered with singapore jewellery association and is not a casetrust company.

Why i question their reliabilty is because their price is so much cheaper than sookee, lee hua and goldheart. For example, a 1 carat diamond ring mounted on 18k ring is only 4.8k at diamond industries but it is about 8k to 10k in other places. the other places also have GIA cert and the grade of the diamond is quite the same, only slightly different.

please help.

song

song said:
Hi folks from cs,
the other places also have GIA cert and the grade of the diamond is quite the same, only slightly different.

please help.

song

You'll find that one grade difference can be a far more expensive diamond :)

Ian said:
You'll find that one grade difference can be a far more expensive diamond :)

According to my calculation and info on net, a grade difference in color and clarity is only abt $300 difference per carat. For example, VS1 and VS2 etc.

The significant difference is cut quality which cannot be rated numerically so maybe that is why the difference. But then, i cannot see difference in brilliance btw the two. So i need you folk to comment , especially those who have brought from them or have relatives/friends who have brought before.

diamond industries has been advertising full page in ST for more than 5 times...

hohoho

this one u must really listen from a gal's point of view...

GIA, CERTIFIED DIAMONDS, gemological institute of america diamond certificate.

GIA Gemological Institute of America Certified Diamonds

GIA certified diamonds are the standard for North American certified diamonds. The GIA or Gemological Institute of America independantly grades and certified diamonds from labs in New York and California.

Certified diamonds from the GIA are typically sold for a premium in retail jewellery stores (thousands more that non certified diamonds). Since the cost to certify a diamond at the GIA is little more than $100, it lead question the poor quality that retail jewellers are selling non certified diamonds.

GIA as being the most strict with its standards. Clarity, color and carat grades on the GIA certified diamonds compare equally to HRD and AGS. However, the highest cut grade on a GIA certified diamond is Excellent polish and excellent symmetry.

Embarking on the 4Cs

Diamonds, one of nature's most precious and beautiful creations, are probably the most valuable of all commodities. For anyone contemplating the purchase of such an exquisite item, it's essential to be able to determine how the beauty and value of one diamond compares against another.

This is where the 4Cs system of grading, developed by the Gemological Institute of America, comes in. By far the most universally accepted of diamond grading systems, the colour, clarity, cut and carat weight of a diamond are used to judge the relative rarity, quality and value of a diamond

Colour
A diamond's colour is dependent on the existence of chemical impurities and structural distortions in its crystal structure, and is an important determinant of diamond quality and price. In fact, a single increase in colour grade could boost a diamond's value by thousands of dollars, depending on the size of the stone.

Unlike other gemstones, diamonds in the normal colour range are graded by how closely they approach absolute colourlessness, that is, the less colour, the higher the grade, and the higher the value. The 4Cs colour scale ranges between D (colourless) and Z grades (light yellow).

An exception to the rule is naturally coloured diamonds, also known as fancy diamonds. These exist in shades of yellow, pink, blue, green, red and black and unlike diamonds in the normal colour range, the brighter and purer the colour, the higher the value.

Clarity

A diamond's clarity is determined by the degree to which it is free from naturally occurring inclusions of minerals, often called 'nature's fingerprints'. Thus the fewer the inclusions, the rarer the stone.

The number, type, colour, size and position of the 'nature's fingerprints' can affect a diamond value. However, most of these are invisible to the naked eye.

Carat

Diamonds are sold by weight, measured in carats. Because diamonds are so precious, this measurement is extremely precise. One carat, the equivalent of 0.2 grams, is divided into 100 points, so a diamond of 0.50 carats is commonly referred to as a 0.50-pointer.

As expected, value increases with the size of the diamond. However, because larger diamonds are more rare, the price per carat becomes correspondingly higher the bigger the stone.

Cut
While nature imbues each diamond with its distinguishing attributes of colour, clarity and carat weight, cut is the unique of human contribution to the beauty of the diamond. In a sense, it is also the most important attribute of a diamond, as the diamond cutter's skill strongly influences the final carat weight, face-up colour and clarity, and overall appearance of the diamond.

A diamond cut to good proportions, regardless of its shape, will scintillate with fiery lights and maximum brilliance. A diamond which is cut too shallow or too deep however, will lose light though the diamond's base.

It is important to note that assessing the quality of a diamond by its carat size alone is meaningless. The cut, clarity and colour of the diamond should also be considered when judging the value of a diamond.

IMHO, I've never step into Diamond in industry because, their cuts doesnt seems appealing to mi. And i do hear from Some peeps that they mix diamonds? which i dun quite understand.

Anyway, i would rather u buy from retailers... :thumbsup:

agnesbanner.sized.jpg

Thanks for your detailed info.

The cut is the biggest problem being not able to quantify. Must use naked eyes to judge brilliance. In the GIA cert, only the 4 Cs, polish, symmetry, pavillion, girdler and table are described. Some in unit "percent"

so what size for pavillion, girdler, table and crown is consider a good balance btw money and brilliance?

song

RuthBaby said:
hohoho

this one u must really listen from a gal's point of view...

GIA, CERTIFIED DIAMONDS, gemological institute of america diamond certificate.

GIA Gemological Institute of America Certified Diamonds

GIA certified diamonds are the standard for North American certified diamonds. The GIA or Gemological Institute of America independantly grades and certified diamonds from labs in New York and California.

Certified diamonds from the GIA are typically sold for a premium in retail jewellery stores (thousands more that non certified diamonds). Since the cost to certify a diamond at the GIA is little more than $100, it lead question the poor quality that retail jewellers are selling non certified diamonds.

GIA as being the most strict with its standards. Clarity, color and carat grades on the GIA certified diamonds compare equally to HRD and AGS. However, the highest cut grade on a GIA certified diamond is Excellent polish and excellent symmetry.

Embarking on the 4Cs

Diamonds, one of nature's most precious and beautiful creations, are probably the most valuable of all commodities. For anyone contemplating the purchase of such an exquisite item, it's essential to be able to determine how the beauty and value of one diamond compares against another.

This is where the 4Cs system of grading, developed by the Gemological Institute of America, comes in. By far the most universally accepted of diamond grading systems, the colour, clarity, cut and carat weight of a diamond are used to judge the relative rarity, quality and value of a diamond

Colour
A diamond's colour is dependent on the existence of chemical impurities and structural distortions in its crystal structure, and is an important determinant of diamond quality and price. In fact, a single increase in colour grade could boost a diamond's value by thousands of dollars, depending on the size of the stone.

Unlike other gemstones, diamonds in the normal colour range are graded by how closely they approach absolute colourlessness, that is, the less colour, the higher the grade, and the higher the value. The 4Cs colour scale ranges between D (colourless) and Z grades (light yellow).

An exception to the rule is naturally coloured diamonds, also known as fancy diamonds. These exist in shades of yellow, pink, blue, green, red and black and unlike diamonds in the normal colour range, the brighter and purer the colour, the higher the value.

Clarity

A diamond's clarity is determined by the degree to which it is free from naturally occurring inclusions of minerals, often called 'nature's fingerprints'. Thus the fewer the inclusions, the rarer the stone.

The number, type, colour, size and position of the 'nature's fingerprints' can affect a diamond value. However, most of these are invisible to the naked eye.

Carat

Diamonds are sold by weight, measured in carats. Because diamonds are so precious, this measurement is extremely precise. One carat, the equivalent of 0.2 grams, is divided into 100 points, so a diamond of 0.50 carats is commonly referred to as a 0.50-pointer.

As expected, value increases with the size of the diamond. However, because larger diamonds are more rare, the price per carat becomes correspondingly higher the bigger the stone.

Cut
While nature imbues each diamond with its distinguishing attributes of colour, clarity and carat weight, cut is the unique of human contribution to the beauty of the diamond. In a sense, it is also the most important attribute of a diamond, as the diamond cutter's skill strongly influences the final carat weight, face-up colour and clarity, and overall appearance of the diamond.

A diamond cut to good proportions, regardless of its shape, will scintillate with fiery lights and maximum brilliance. A diamond which is cut too shallow or too deep however, will lose light though the diamond's base.

It is important to note that assessing the quality of a diamond by its carat size alone is meaningless. The cut, clarity and colour of the diamond should also be considered when judging the value of a diamond.

IMHO, I've never step into Diamond in industry because, their cuts doesnt seems appealing to mi. And i do hear from Some peeps that they mix diamonds? which i dun quite understand.

Anyway, i would rather u buy from retailers... :thumbsup:

agnesbanner.sized.jpg

Bro y not get from LeeHwa or SooKee.. etc? :D

Jer76 said:
Bro y not get from LeeHwa or SooKee.. etc? :D

you know, if diamond ind has nothing wrong since it has GIA cert for theirs, it means a saving of about 3k for a one carat diamond. 4.8k vs 7k

pain in pocket.... but sliently....

song

RuthBaby said:
love is priceless
agnesbanner.sized.jpg

since it is priceless, then isn't it better without it? in reality, love is indeed still priceless but money is limited.

When you pay them a visit, all your questions about the price difference will be answered. All it takes is an inquisitive attitude, common sense and sometimes an eye for details to understand why. As far as I am aware, and based on my own experiences, Diamond Industries is a very reputable business.

When you have tried patronising a "neighbourhood" diamond shops in places like Hong Kong or New York where diaminds are mind boggling cheap (these are real diamonds), you will find the people behind the counter in Singapore to be pretty honest and angelic in behaviour.

If you really want to buy good diamond, dun try to save money, else you may end up losing more than what you have tried to save. Ruthbaby is right to advise that you get certified ones.

But I still like to say that since love is priceless, diamond cannot be your best gift to the ONE in your life. What then is the best gift? Your life coupled with Tender Loving Care. Every little thought counts......

garvinchow said:
If you really want to buy good diamond, dun try to save money, else you may end up losing more than what you have tried to save. Ruthbaby is right to advise that you get certified ones.

But I still like to say that since love is priceless, diamond cannot be your best gift to the ONE in your life. What then is the best gift? Your life coupled with Tender Loving Care. Every little thought counts......
yeap... thinking that u might hurt tt pocket.. why not think u might hurt yr heart and pocket even more if u get the wrong deal?

:)

bring yr darling down to the shop and let her choose... cuz she and u will never regret

my dear jus bought a 29 bucks ring for mi today... LOL... no diamonds la.. jus one 925 ring tt was engraved with our names... well... tts priceless too.. priceless come from the heart, and not from the dollars and cents :lovegrin:
agnesbanner.sized.jpg

If you're planning to spend thousands on a diamond ring for your gal, I think she should be someone really special that you plan to spend the future with her. May be it's a proposal ring? Then when you think of it as may be someday she will be part of your family, take care of you by your side for the sickness and health, bear your child with your surname. Then I think your thousands of dollar doesn't seem so big anymore.

all the below are only my opinion, it is up to you to verify my thoughts.

i went down today to diamond industries. their GIA and HRD certified diamonds are not much cheaper than big brand like lee hua and soo kee except for gold-heart. however, their plus point is that modification to ring set is instant and in front of you. There is some choices to look around with regards to the ring setting design. if you are into precise selection based on technical specs of a ideal/fine cut diamond, you have plenty of choice. they have a huge stockpile of certified diamond such that you can sure find one of your required specification. however, there is no 12/24 mths interest free installment scheme from major credit cards.

As for their advertised cheap diamonds, there are all in-house certified as true naturally mined ones. Only carat and shape is certified in this case. The other 3 Cs are not mentioned. The advise is that you buy this only when you are looking for budget diamonds for daily wear. All you need is the brilliance seen from your eyes in these case. and the price is very good...!

not a bad place to go but the transport is quite bad with the circle line construction.

IMO, the important thing is to know how to use a loupe to examine the stone. Also to understand the terms used in the cert eg. table percentage, 50% better or 60% better?, flourescence? depth percentage? girdle- polished or cut? Was the diamond cut from a perfert rough or distorted rough?
What about colour? Can tell a D from a F? A indian cut vs belgium cut?
So must technicalities, better off buying gold.... :D
A certificate merely states the identity of the stone, but may not be perfect

E1g3 said:
IMO, the important thing is to know how to use a loupe to examine the stone. Also to understand the terms used in the cert eg. table percentage, 50% better or 60% better?, flourescence? depth percentage? girdle- polished or cut? Was the diamond cut from a perfert rough or distorted rough?
What about colour? Can tell a D from a F? A indian cut vs belgium cut?
So must technicalities, better off buying gold.... :D
A certificate merely states the identity of the stone, but may not be perfect

I agree. the GIA cert is nothing except merely stating the identity of the stone. Important info is missing such as crown/ pavallion angle or their depth. They give you everything except these so that you can't tell the cut. Hence it is not worth paying for higher color/ clarity grade because you can't really judge how close to ideal cut the stone is. Usually, jeweller charges higher price based on the first 3 Cs and since you can't tell the fourth Cs, this is the place they chop you. Even with an expert gemotologist, you can't tell much with loupe. The cut has to be evaluated using machine.

this is the dark practice in singapore jewellery industries inlandwide.

song

erm I didn't read any of the above posts, but here's a girl's take on it... since diamonds ARE a girl's best friend :bsmilie:

if you are going to get a diamond for her, especially a ring, the best is to go to a reputable seller; and I don't mean the more.. uh.. "cheap" names such as Taka or Goldheart (sorry to any GH supports.. I'm personally v.bias against them :D). Keep in mind diamond apparels such as bracelet, earrings, etc, never command as much attention as a diamond ring. So if you're getting her one, go get a good one, instead of saving a couple hundred dollars and she not being able to fully enjoy having a diamond ring bought by a beloved boyfriend.

of course, I don't mean in this case that money = love. Rather, money = quality. Do a search on the net and you'll see the Cs that you need to keep in mind while buying a diamond.. cut, clarity, etc. There are various qualities available and reputable sellers ensure their diamonds meet a certain benchmark and come cerifitied. Tiffany&Co. has one of the most highest level of quality when it comes to a diamond, thus the coining of the term "Tiffany Diamond".

If T&C is out of your price range, the next would be Lee Hwa Diamond Boutique. Aspiral is also under Lee Hwa and I personally visit the Damiond Boutiques - I like the designs better, and the diamond certificates are from Aspiral, so there's no compromise in the quality of the diamonds.

A little further down the price range would be SooKee. Just a personal preferance, but I feel that Lee Hwa's diamonds are better than Sookee.

Hope it helps....

oh yes forgot to add one thing... a very handy handbook to have is Tiffany & Co.'s "How to Buy a Diamond". They give a detailed yet brief and easy to understand guide to, well, buy a diamond. Everyone should have one! Erm... I'm not too sure how to get one though :think: you could enquire at a local T&C?

Status
Not open for further replies.