Dialect songs: is the flood gate now open?

There is a reason why dialects were discouraged so that standard Mandarin becomes more commonly used.

No need to worry about flood gate. Because there is no flood.

The time of xinyao is long past. It is no longer popular. Even in its heyday, it was not a particularly good genre of songs.

Who cares anyway?

This is not the 1970s where access to dialect songs can be controlled.

Now you can just click on your Hong Kong radio station on the Internet and listen to Cantonese songs.
Click on some Taiwanese Internet stations for Hokkien songs.

Most children born in the mid to late 90s hardly can speak a full sentence in dialect... beside all the usual dialect version of '4 letters words'... IMO, there will be little to no flood...

But personally.... I support 'Singlish' as the official dialect of Singapore...

There is a reason why dialects were discouraged so that standard Mandarin becomes more commonly used.

No need to worry about flood gate. Because there is no flood.

The time of xinyao is long past. It is no longer popular. Even in its heyday, it was not a particularly good genre of songs.

Who cares anyway?

This is not the 1970s where access to dialect songs can be controlled.

Now you can just click on your Hong Kong radio station on the Internet and listen to Cantonese songs.
Click on some Taiwanese Internet stations for Hokkien songs.

I don't agree with what was done in the past that they have to eliminate dialects so that we can learn mandarin

I don't agree with what was done in the past that they have to eliminate dialects so that we can learn mandarin

So... what's your "Theory" on why they standardize the Chinese language as Mandarin ??

And did they 'eliminate' dialect ?? You mean no one is speaking it now. ?? Or will the speaker be arrested ??

You do know that even in China... Mandarin is the Official language instead of mix use of the over 50 dialect from 50+ ethnic group...

Last edited:
can i intro this song to u guys? chinese, cantonese, hokkien in 1 song. not something new, but this one is nice :

[video=youtube;GiH5IM2xkIY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiH5IM2xkIY[/video]

Thumbs up. Nice.

My fav kung fu intro song in it's original glory.
[video=youtube_share;f3SRV91kTXA]http://youtu.be/f3SRV91kTXA[/video]

If the gate is opened towards quality, great new heights of progress and civilisation, I don't mind... but definitely no to rowdy cavemen with gold bars, touting fast cars and flouting traffic rules..

Last edited:
[video=youtube_share;f3SRV91kTXA]http://youtu.be/f3SRV91kTXA[/video]

If the gate is opened towards quality, great new heights of progress and civilisation, I don't mind... but definitely no to rowdy cavemen with gold bars, touting fast cars and flouting traffic rules..
wah lao, u so old meh...this drama was like early 80s?

Nice song.

Title: 鐵血丹心

A duet by Roman Tam (羅文) and Jenny Tseng (甄妮)

One thing the policy makers did not fully understand is that knowing dialect does not degrade your ability to learn Mandarin.
Actually it reinforces and facilitates your ability to learn Mandarin.

However, at the time of such policy, both the PM (LKY) and DPM (GKS) were Perenakans. So with their background, it is easy to understand why they got that part wrong.

I think the authorities did concede that if one is highly intelligent, then learning both dialect and Mandarin is not a problem.

But in policy making, they have to plan for the general masses, who may not all be so gifted.

Last edited: