DFA 100 WR Macro Handson Review

Thanks for the review. You must be fanning the LBA for many people here.

Is this you late Christmas present or your early CNY present?:bsmilie:

really nice. this is interesting a macro and potrait lens in one.

how much is this and the non-WR version? it not indicated in the price list.

how this compare to tamron AF90mm F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro

TIA

Last edited:
wow thats fast FW! Looks good but I wonder is it heavy since full metal :p

Thanks guys for your nice comments :) It's indeed a great little lens, worth buying if you ask me.

As to the shoulder strap, I'm sorry I can't help you guys here. I bought it along w/ a Super Program, and this shoulder strap is actually the special edition for this award winning camera back in 1983 :cool:

To Zec, the lens is actually slightly lighter than the non-WR one.

To ronald09: the lens isn't available yet here in SG. I bought it from oversea. The Tamron 90 is a good lens, but in my experience, this one wins hands down ;)

To Ahren, this is one of my new year gifts I guess ;p

Wah, Imagine Pentax update all the Limiteds with WR. I'll cry ah...

SMCP D-FA 77mm f/1.8 limited WR??? :bsmilie:

Thanks fengwei for the review. Nice little lens.

I want one too but no hurry since i have the DFA. I shall slowly wait for one at good price.:bsmilie:

Maybe I should start thinking about letting go of my Tamron 90mm... WR "pseudo-limited" very nice... :think:

But fengwei, I know you said you took everything with AF, did the AF hunt more than usual? Macro lens AF tend to have a habit of hunting due to the super long focusing throw. More of a concern since there's no focus limiter.

Gengh, you can always throw in you tamron 90mm Macro to me. my hands all the way nicely wide and open... :bsmilie:

Maybe I should start thinking about letting go of my Tamron 90mm... WR "pseudo-limited" very nice... :think:

But fengwei, I know you said you took everything with AF, did the AF hunt more than usual? Macro lens AF tend to have a habit of hunting due to the super long focusing throw. More of a concern since there's no focus limiter.

Since it's a macro lens, the focusing is optimized for close distance. At distance of 1 to 3m (portrait distance), the focusing throw is very short, so the AF speed is pretty fast in this range. But of course if you mis-focus, it's gonna take a while to let the lens come back from hunting :) If you point to the right target before you press the shuttle release button, it'd be fine.

As much as being a very good performer, I find the physical design of the Tamron 90 not to my taste. Somehow I had grew to place equal importance in how a lens look and how well it performs. The DFA100WR is really quite a winner in this aspect. But it havn't ticked my LBA. I am actually more interested in that ~$6k FA*200mmf4.0MACRO on ebay. Just kidding... d:

Gengh, you can always throw in you tamron 90mm Macro to me. my hands all the way nicely wide and open... :bsmilie:

US$850... *cough cough*... I think still need to wait a while before I can consider getting the 100mm WR.

Since it's a macro lens, the focusing is optimized for close distance. At distance of 1 to 3m (portrait distance), the focusing throw is very short, so the AF speed is pretty fast in this range. But of course if you mis-focus, it's gonna take a while to let the lens come back from hunting :) If you point to the right target before you press the shuttle release button, it'd be fine.

That's already much better than the Tamron 90mm. The Tamron seem to have a habit of "searching" in the wrong direction (even if you start pretty close to the correct focusing point) and end up winding to and fro one big round, both for macro and normal distances. So I usually just use it MF.

US$850... *cough cough*... I think still need to wait a while before I can consider getting the 100mm WR.

That's already much better than the Tamron 90mm. The Tamron seem to have a habit of "searching" in the wrong direction (even if you start pretty close to the correct focusing point) and end up winding to and fro one big round, both for macro and normal distances. So I usually just use it MF.

US$850? Nah ... I don't think that'll be the market price once it's out.

It'll still end up winding to and fro for Macro lenses, and this WR version isn't going to be much different, so that's why the FA or F focus limiter is actually quite useful. Having said that, I don't find that a problem really.

It's metal body but it's not built like the Voigtlander or the FA one... Personally, having owned these lenses before, I'll still go for the DA WR one as I really didn't enjoy lugging heavy lenses.

One of my favorite sites and this one is already using the WR!