Developing vs Developed

thoongeng

Jan 26, 2010
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, post-processing

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Wanted to contrast the construction work in the foreground with the built up financial district of Singapore behind.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Chanced upon this view when exploring, and wanted to do a shot with the reflections, the foreground construction work and the city skyline behind.

This shot is a panorama of 3 vertical frames, with 3 exposures each frame to recover the blown highlight details.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like this photograph, but not sure if it's because of the effort put in to blend in the details and stitching the frames hehe. Was thinking it may be too cluttered with the overlapping of the trees over the buildings, but if I move further back then there's no water for reflections... probably can also increase the contrast over the bright building areas. Would like to hear other's opinions and critiques!

14079818664_cebe0f6d00_c.jpg

Thanks for viewing :)

Hi thoongeng. I like the exposure of the trees. Nice control. The reflection of the buildings works for me too.

However, the framing seems a little bit heavy on the left side. A bit unbalanced. And the buildings at the back a slightly too white for my taste.

But nice effort! I have not tried stitching yet. Framing for a single frame itself is a slightly challenging task for me. So -ramas of any kind are really cool I feel.

Keep shooting!

Cheers!

interesting contrast between trees and buildings. would prefer to see more details in the foreground, though.
14079818664_cebe0f6d00_c_1.jpg

Hi thoongeng. I like the exposure of the trees. Nice control. The reflection of the buildings works for me too.

However, the framing seems a little bit heavy on the left side. A bit unbalanced. And the buildings at the back a slightly too white for my taste.

But nice effort! I have not tried stitching yet. Framing for a single frame itself is a slightly challenging task for me. So -ramas of any kind are really cool I feel.

Keep shooting!

Cheers!

Thanks NormanSelvaraju for dropping by and giving your comments! Ya on hindsight agree that the buildings are a bit too bright and lacking in contrast after blending, should have increased contrast selectively over them :)

interesting contrast between trees and buildings. would prefer to see more details in the foreground, though.

Thanks mod zaren for your worked example again! A different interpretation and feel, I was thinking that the foreground being 'under development' and looking darker would contrast with the 'developed' and brighter buildings behind. Maybe I could have taken another shot at a even brighter exposure for the foreground next time for more options to explore :)

firstly the background is blown.

the lamppost is distracting, try move around to eliminate unwanted details.

Thanks mod catchlights for your comments! Hmm I moved around such that the lamppost is not overlapping any major stuff, but looks like still have to improve on the shooting position :)

I'd prefer if the trees don't block the buildings. In this case jt overlaps each other so i'm not too sure which is the subject?

I'd prefer if the trees don't block the buildings. In this case jt overlaps each other so i'm not too sure which is the subject?

Thanks nitewalk for dropping by! It's more of the foreground construction vs background built up city. I guess to emphasize the foreground more can brighten it up like zaren's example, or go much closer such that the trees and construction looks bigger than the background buildings (however this will need multi row pano which I don't think I can pull if off yet hehe...)

There's not enough "construction" in the construction area you are referring to.
Most people who look at this photo will go, "what am I looking at?" If they have to read a lengthy text to find out what it is, it's either abstract art or not a good photo.

Anyway, the image is very messy and has no prominent subject despite the description.
It may be very colorful and technically difficult to achieve, but it's simply not pleasing to the eye.

There's not enough "construction" in the construction area you are referring to.
Most people who look at this photo will go, "what am I looking at?" If they have to read a lengthy text to find out what it is, it's either abstract art or not a good photo.

Anyway, the image is very messy and has no prominent subject despite the description.
It may be very colorful and technically difficult to achieve, but it's simply not pleasing to the eye.

Thanks IsenGrim for dropping by with your comments!

what is the landscape made of? rubbish? I would like to see more rubbish if you could, its a beautiful scene, if only you provoked alittle bit more. Pretty scenes are numbing, and your point of view seems rather refreshing, I just want to ascertain this.

what is the landscape made of? rubbish? I would like to see more rubbish if you could, its a beautiful scene, if only you provoked alittle bit more. Pretty scenes are numbing, and your point of view seems rather refreshing, I just want to ascertain this.

Thanks Cliffy for dropping by. Hmm... actually not much rubbish, just piles of rocks and stagnant water, just behind it is a construction site. I did some other views, this one is because of the reflections