Details lost after resizing in CS2 and ACDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamedriver

Mar 22, 2007
Hi to all,
I'm really new to photo editing. I was resizing some photos I took last sunday and I noticed the picture quality is not a good as the original image that is straight out from the camera.
I was shooting in Jpeg and did a size reduction to 25% of the original size. There are details losses and also the colour is off when compared side by size. I initially tot it could be due to I'm using ACDC to do the reduction, so i switched to CS2 and it still was the same even when I selected the highest possible quality to save.

The image is sharp in original copy, but when reduced, it like blurred out a little bit.
I view the original in fit window mood which is abt 25% of the size and viewed the resized ones in full size.

Can anyone help me with this?

TIA and cheers
T.D.

I think posting the 2 images: original and resized, will help in providing clues. Other than that, what was the original image dimensions and after resizing?

Hi to all,
I'm really new to photo editing. I was resizing some photos I took last sunday and I noticed the picture quality is not a good as the original image that is straight out from the camera.
I was shooting in Jpeg and did a size reduction to 25% of the original size. There are details losses and also the colour is off when compared side by size. I initially tot it could be due to I'm using ACDC to do the reduction, so i switched to CS2 and it still was the same even when I selected the highest possible quality to save.

The image is sharp in original copy, but when reduced, it like blurred out a little bit.
I view the original in fit window mood which is abt 25% of the size and viewed the resized ones in full size.

TIA and cheers
T.D.

It maybe because you are using jpeg. You lose some information everytime you re-save a picture in jpg format. If you are doing a lot of editing, try saving the picture in another format and only save the final output as jpg.

Also, when you resize a picture, it is only natural that information is discarded from the picture (hence the smaller file size). I dont think it is possible with resizing, your new picture is going to end up sharper or the same as the original.

Anyways, without seeing the actual pictures, these are only wild guesses from me.

Always do a sharpen (USM) after resizing. And only resize after all the editing has been done.

Also check the level of compression used for saving the JPEG. The higher the compression (aka smaller file) will give you a lower picture quality. Do always remember to keep the original for archiving as each time you save over, the pic quality will drop. ;)

Thanks for the valuable information guys.
I was kinda shock to see that my original img is tuck sharp and when I change the size of the img after reduction, it almost become like a tiny bit OOF kinda look. :angry:

I cant post the pic as the file is abt 5mb and the in the forum it cant be uploaded.

I hope I can show u guys too to make it clearly but guess its pretty hard... :think:

Cheers
T.D.

Always do a sharpen (USM) after resizing. And only resize after all the editing has been done.

Also check the level of compression used for saving the JPEG. The higher the compression (aka smaller file) will give you a lower picture quality. Do always remember to keep the original for archiving as each time you save over, the pic quality will drop. ;)

What are the usual values u pluck in for USM? Able to feed me with this info?
I tried and the results anit that good too.. maybe i'm simpliy too new to DI

What are the usual values u pluck in for USM? Able to feed me with this info?
I tried and the results anit that good too.. maybe i'm simpliy too new to DI

it depends on the type of image.

I generally get by using :

Amount : 100%
Radius : 1.0 pixels
Threshold : 0 levels

Then fade the USM (Edit, Fade USM)

Choose 100%
Mode change to Luminosity.

;)

try it.

Hi to all,

TIA and cheers
T.D.

Compressing JPEGs will definitely cause quality loss. I face the problem as well. I try to minimise like what bro zac08 mentioned, by applying some USM (I tweak to my liking, varies from pic to pic). But sometimes the quality loss is greater, rendering the shot kinda unusable..

Choose 100%

;)

try it.

Thanks for the tip bro! :)

Choose 100%

;)

try it.

Will give it a try. Thanks again.
Update u once its done..

:thumbsup:

Hi to all,

TIA and cheers
T.D.

Hi,

I presume in CS2 you are using the the Image Size function. What resolution did you select? Try 300 pixels/in. Check resample image check box and contstrain proportions. Enter the document size and select your interpolation method. Since you are down sizing, use Bicubic Sharper. Select Actual Pixels to view and apply USM if needed then print.

N.S.

http://nns555.zenfolio.com/

Hi,

I presume in CS2 you are using the the Image Size function. What resolution did you select? Try 300 pixels/in. Check resample image check box and contstrain proportions. Enter the document size and select your interpolation method. Since you are down sizing, use Bicubic Sharper. Select Actual Pixels to view and apply USM if needed then print.

N.S.

http://nns555.zenfolio.com/

THanks for the info. I guess i missed out the 300/in part.
Will try again. U've been a great help.

Cheers
T.D.

THanks for the info. I guess i missed out the 300/in part.
Will try again. U've been a great help.

Cheers
T.D.

I've tried doing the setting as suggested... but still pic lost details... :cry:

I've tried doing the setting as suggested... but still pic lost details... :cry:

Hi, what were the dimensions of the original image? 10MPixel?

Hi,

Let's start again.

You have captured your image in jpg. What is the size of the file? You have indicated you have reduced this to 25% of its original size. Obviously, if you now view this smaller file at full size you will see some reduction in quality, especially if the original jpg has been highly compressed.

If you need to resize for printing, there is no need to reduce the original file size. Open the original jp file and in the Image Size Window, select the Width, Height and Resolution before printing.

N.S. Ng

Hi,

Let's start again.

You have captured your image in jpg. What is the size of the file? You have indicated you have reduced this to 25% of its original size. Obviously, if you now view this smaller file at full size you will see some reduction in quality, especially if the original jpg has been highly compressed.

If you need to resize for printing, there is no need to reduce the original file size. Open the original jp file and in the Image Size Window, select the Width, Height and Resolution before printing.

N.S. Ng

Erm... the file size is 4288 X 2848 pixels which is abt 3-6mb ... so i tot maybe i could reduce the size of the img for easier storage. Hope this helps... :dunno:

Erm... the file size is 4288 X 2848 pixels which is abt 3-6mb ... so i tot maybe i could reduce the size of the img for easier storage. Hope this helps... :dunno:

if ur concern is easier storage because of storage size, i think u shud invest in a HDD instead. i think for your good shots, u shud always keep the original in case you need to use it in future, esp for commercial reasons or stock photography.

Only resize for web display or if you need to crop. Always keep the original files safe in another location. I shoot RAW and will archive all my raw shots on DVD.

Rite... guess i should just keep them as it is then...
I wonder how the fellow CS'er here can post such small yet sharp img? thru USM??
can anyone enlighten me? Cos the last time i tried to post a pic, i had to compress it to such a low res img in order to post it in CS. The img was almost unusable at kind of compression. but had to do it Cos the file size limit is 100Kb.

CHeers
T.D.

Rite... guess i should just keep them as it is then...
I wonder how the fellow CS'er here can post such small yet sharp img? thru USM??
can anyone enlighten me? Cos the last time i tried to post a pic, i had to compress it to such a low res img in order to post it in CS. The img was almost unusable at kind of compression. but had to do it Cos the file size limit is 100Kb.

CHeers
T.D.

Resize it down to web size, 800 x 600 or 640 x 480 and USM it before you save it. Try to save it as high quality as possible. This is generally how I do it for my web photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.