Detached flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

rty

Staff member
Jan 19, 2002
Singapore
Excuse me for asking this silly question. I saw on TV a National Geographic photographer taking picture while holding a flash on his other hand and the flash is connected by a spiralling cable like a telephone. Does anyone know where to buy this cable (with a hotshoe) for Canon? How much does it cost?

Originally posted by rty
Excuse me for asking this silly question. I saw on TV a National Geographic photographer taking picture while holding a flash on his other hand and the flash is connected by a spiralling cable like a telephone. Does anyone know where to buy this cable (with a hotshoe) for Canon? How much does it cost?

For Canon cameras, this is called the Off Shoe Cord or something. Not cheap, probably close to $100. And AFAIK, they got different versions, so you gotta check. For Nikon, the equivalent would be the SC-17 TTL cord which costs $90 or so.

If you don't mind losing TTL, you can get the non-TTL 3rd party cords for a lot less.

Regards
CK

it is called "Off Shoe Cord 2" ... cost at $95 at CP ..

FYI , it is out of stock

Originally posted by megaweb
it is called "Off Shoe Cord 2" ... cost at $95 at CP ..

FYI , it is out of stock
yeah...
It out of stock at the moment and no news as to when it will come. I've been waiting for it for a while liao.

Thanks for the info, guys. I would like to get one, so please don't forget to let me know when it is available.

Ckiang, the wireless solution will create a big hole in our pocket, right?

Originally posted by rty
Thanks for the info, guys. I would like to get one, so please don't forget to let me know when it is available.

Ckiang, the wireless solution will create a big hole in our pocket, right?
aiya... I think he jealous lor...
RTY.. nvrm him lah!;p
FYI, John 3:16 do have it, he qoute mi $100 for it

if u hold the flash with one hand and the camera with the other wont u screw up the shot? what are the benefits of having a detached flash?

Thanks again, Bluestick. I'll see if I can sneak out tomorrow to see John 3:20 (3:16? 3:18?)

Originally posted by maddog
if u hold the flash with one hand and the camera with the other wont u screw up the shot? what are the benefits of having a detached flash?

That's what I saw the National Geographic photographer did. Holding the camera with his right hand and the flash with the left. The purpose I believe is to create certain mood. I begin to hate my pictures taken with frontal fill flash. It tends to make the subject two dimensional and the flash reflection on the oily face skin make the model look tired and unappealing. But of course it is just personal preference. To me, frontal fill flash is only suitable for animal shots.

saw an ang mo professional photographer using the "detached flash" too during the Asian Young Fashion Designers' Contest. He took pics of the models and the winning designers on stage.

Originally posted by rty
Thanks again, Bluestick. I'll see if I can sneak out tomorrow to see John 3:20 (3:16? 3:18?)

That's what I saw the National Geographic photographer did. Holding the camera with his right hand and the flash with the left. The purpose I believe is to create certain mood. I begin to hate my pictures taken with frontal fill flash. It tends to make the subject two dimensional and the flash reflection on the oily face skin make the model look tired and unappealing. But of course it is just personal preference. To me, frontal fill flash is only suitable for animal shots.
Yo had the same feeling abt front fill flash and so borrowed Mega's cock, err... I mean cord, to play with. DEf cool dude!

Originally posted by Bluestrike

Yo had the same feeling abt front fill flash and so borrowed Mega's cock, err... I mean cord, to play with. DEf cool dude!

Can post here?

Originally posted by mpenza
saw an ang mo professional photographer using the "detached flash" too during the Asian Young Fashion Designers' Contest. He took pics of the models and the winning designers on stage.

i saw that guy too..

Status
Not open for further replies.