Destitute...are they forgotten?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernLights

Dec 17, 2002
Singapore
www.flickr.com
A series on life of destitutes in Chinatown.

All shot with 85mm prime stopped down 1 stop to f/1.8
56232056.DPP_0032.jpg

56232053.DPP_0025.jpg

56232052.DPP_0021.jpg

wow, thats one hell of a lens! Love ur subjects and the B/W convertions!

Thanks.

I wonder what happened to the sons and daughters of these poor old men. I see almost them every week, at the same spot and lie there, waiting.

It's heart-wrenching people forget present development and advancement of the wealth and structure of the society we live in today has everything to do with the effort these people made when they were young.

Now they seemed forgotten, while young people have fun.

NorthernLights said:
Thanks.

I wonder what happened to the sons and daughters of these poor old men. I see almost them every week, at the same spot and lie there, waiting.

It's heart-wrenching people forget present development and advancement of the wealth and structure of the society we live in today has everything to do with the effort these people made when they were young.

Now they seemed forgotten, while young people have fun.

Reminds me of a friend who works as a volunteer in Ren Ci in the past.

She told me of an old lady, whose sons and daughters are all docs and lawyers, yet dumped her in Ren Ci and cease to visit her after a while. Really angry to hear that.

Do you mind posting or PM me a close up of the images that you have use on your 85mm. I was thinking of buying it for my street photography. thank.

Love the last pic with the man's hand on the brick game.

Ah_Seng said:

Reminds me of a friend who works as a volunteer in Ren Ci in the past.

She told me of an old lady, whose sons and daughters are all docs and lawyers, yet dumped her in Ren Ci and cease to visit her after a while. Really angry to hear that.

Already heard so many stories of these old folks got abandoned by their children. Left to be forgotten........

Brilliant!! Thought provoking!! This is what photography is about .......... getting people to THINK!!

out of curiosity, did you actually speak to these people to ask them about their life story? since you mentioned that they "seemed forgotten"

No I did not. But I see them at the same area very often as I shoot for different perspective.

This man moved from China Square to set up at China Town complex.

56232055.DPP_0030.jpg

if you're going to claim something on your subjects from the photographs, then you have the responsibility to speak to them and learn their stories. It's not right to shoot someone and put across a statement without proof. you're almost (if not) doing photojournalism, even if it may be painfully obvious to you & others what their situation is, you have no right to infer by basing on other instances. You may be right about their lives afterall, but the process in doing so is wrong.

If you're referring to "seemed forgotten" then that is an observation not a claim or statement or even a judgement, just an observation.....

foxtwo said:
if you're going to claim something on your subjects from the photographs, then you have the responsibility to speak to them and learn their stories. It's not right to shoot someone and put across a statement without proof. you're almost (if not) doing photojournalism, even if it may be painfully obvious to you & others what their situation is, you have no right to infer by basing on other instances. You may be right about their lives afterall, but the process in doing so is wrong.

cyber_m0nkey said:
If you're referring to "seemed forgotten" then that is an observation not a claim or statement or even a judgement, just an observation.....

i'm refering to post #4. Well, on 2nd look it's not a claim by Northernlights, but that post is setting the tone of the images and without clarification of reality that's just not right.

If you're not getting the story from them then don't open it to speculation.

Yup. I understand what you mean. Thanks Cyber-m0nkey!

It's precisely why I wrote "seemed forgotten" because I wanted to create awareness that whilst some f them do have families, old people laid the foundations for what Singapore is. They contributed to the economy whilst they were young people like us.

Status
Not open for further replies.