Desperate call for help...underexposed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Of late, my worse fear has been confirmed...the images which I published online appear underexposed...here are just some of the examples...

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2974

My pics have been appearing underexposed on screen...they looked quite decent on slides (I hope)...unless... there are problems with my film scanner, or I missed out one important step in Photoshop or my metering is not accurate or worst of the worst...I'm too proud to admit that my shots are underexposed?

Ahhhhhh!

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Of late, my worse fear has been confirmed...the images which I published online appear underexposed...here are just some of the examples...

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2974

My pics have been appearing underexposed on screen...they looked quite decent on slides (I hope)...unless... there are problems with my film scanner, or I missed out one important step in Photoshop or my metering is not accurate or worst of the worst...I'm too proud to admit that my shots are underexposed?

Ahhhhhh!

Hi

as the others have said on the other thread, the images do indeed looked underexposed on screen.

one question - on YOUR monitor, does it look underexposed?

And more importantly, are they underexposed on YOUR slides?

Originally posted by YSLee
And more importantly, are they underexposed on YOUR slides?

but he said his slides are okay mah....
so mabe it is just a simple calibration problem.....?

They may look fine when you view them in Photoshop, and look horrid when you view them with Internet Explorer.

Has to do with colourspace or calibration or something like that.

I'm sure you can do a Google search to find out more.

Right good news and bad news.

The Good News:

The pics look alright on my monitor. Aside from 1 or 2 that are possibly slightly underexposed. With the rest I can see a good range of tones.

The Bad News:

Anything that looks good on my monitor is usually slightly too dark.

But as above, the fact that I can see a range of tones is a good sign.

Keep in mind that most people (ie the majority of your viewers - including Jed) adjust their monitors too bright and too high contrast, anyway, so you might want to take that into account.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Keep in mind that most people (ie the majority of your viewers - including Jed) adjust their monitors too bright and too high contrast, anyway, so you might want to take that into account.

Actually no, I don't adjust my monitor, can't... working off a TFT :(

And hey why did I get singled out for mention? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Originally posted by Red Dawn

Hi

as the others have said on the other thread, the images do indeed looked underexposed on screen.

one question - on YOUR monitor, does it look underexposed?

Yes...the funny part is that they look fine on slides (I think)...unless I can't even tell whether a pic is over or underexposed...:(

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Just did a rescan...need you guys to take a look and comment...thanks!

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2971

much better, but then, now it looks like a faded old photo!
If that's the definite tradeoff, then I still prefer your previous underexposed yet richer-in-colour scans. Check out the blue jersey, used to look nicely blue in your previous scans, the new scan made it look a little bleached. :(

Still looks a bit under to me. Is the slide like that on a calibrated lightbox? My experience with lab scans is that they come out like 1 stop underexpose, not sure if normal film scanners exhibit that problem. Try to adjust levels during the scan.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.