Despair

TheoDR

Oct 19, 2006
12182008916_88d62597a2_c.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, black and white treatment, overall effectiveness of the subject and environment to convey his apparent emotional state.
Any suggestions for improvement.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
The capture of raw emotion.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Candid shot taken quickly from my room window.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Was quite lucky to get the combination of him holding his head, cig in hand and beer bottle beside, which I hope made a not-bad photo.

Thanks in advance for the critique! :)

the framing feels a bit too tight on the left side...would prefer to leave more space on the left to give the feeling of isolation and loneliness to your main subject.
12303950803_b97c23e3a4_o.jpg

Hi Zaren

What and how you do to the left side?

Hi Zaren

What and how you do to the left side?

hi Shierwin,

enlarge the canvas on the left side, then use the clone tool to fill it with similar detail to the rest of the photo.

Reactions: alwaysjerricky
the framing feels a bit too tight on the left side...would prefer to leave more space on the left to give the feeling of isolation and loneliness to your main subject.
12303950803_b97c23e3a4_o.jpg

Interesting perspective, thanks zaren!

Not sure if that is what TS is going for, but I feel the HDR effect is too overdone (or clarity is boosted too much). Looks like a sketch more than a photo.

too many bricks in the background distracts the viewer(s).

although it's a a candid, perhaps a different name would have drawn the viewers to a different feel.

i felt that "hungover" or "headache" would suit the theme better

too many bricks in the background distracts the viewer(s).

although it's a a candid, perhaps a different name would have drawn the viewers to a different feel.

i felt that "hungover" or "headache" would suit the theme better

A different title would be more suitable when I first saw it. Despair means no hope to the situation,despondent maybe.I chose silence as not to be misconstrued to be funny or
disrespectful.

Will note those down, thanks wally, kei and one eye jack!