Desktop to use for CS2 post processing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnappyVC

Oct 16, 2006
Yishun
Any recommendations for which CPU based desktop to use mainly for Photoshop CS2 and other post processing. Thinking of using Intel Duo Core 6420 with 2 GB DDR2 CL5 Flash memory. Would this be good enough? Recommendations please. Thanks. (not a gammer)

The specs you've stated should be good enough if you're not doing too heavy a workflow on your images. 4 gigs would be enough for the heavier workflow. For those people who edits 16< megapixel images with more than 20 layers might want to go higher.

Just my 2 cents

Any recommendations for which CPU based desktop to use mainly for Photoshop CS2 and other post processing. Thinking of using Intel Duo Core 6420 with 2 GB DDR2 CL5 Flash memory. Would this be good enough? Recommendations please. Thanks. (not a gammer)

I'm using the C2D 6420 with 2GB DDR2 CL5 for professional use, and it's fine by me. Files from my 5D open very quickly, and i have no issues working with 50 images open at one go.

Having said that, i don't install anything on the PC aside from Photoshop and that helps a lot where Windows is concerned.

Thanks. You guys are really fast in replying. Will pick it up shortly at Fuwell International at Sim Lim Square. (Asus P5GZ-MZ 945GZ VGA/SATA2/LAN/Audio $415 + PC5300 Kingston DDR2 667 CL5 $63x2 (2x1GB).

I'm using the C2D 6420 with 2GB DDR2 CL5 for professional use, and it's fine by me. Files from my 5D open very quickly, and i have no issues working with 50 images open at one go.

Having said that, i don't install anything on the PC aside from Photoshop and that helps a lot where Windows is concerned.

try editing 50 image with layers and saving as TIFF
that one will kill your PC already
me i open one TIFF file already sometime can hit 2.5GB of ram usage.
its really depend on how and what kind of file he is editing.

for the price difference now i would suggest an e6600 with 2gb ram...... i'm considering getting the asus p5b mobo with it...

try editing 50 image with layers and saving as TIFF
that one will kill your PC already
me i open one TIFF file already sometime can hit 2.5GB of ram usage.
its really depend on how and what kind of file he is editing.

Sorry, but i don't work with 50 images at one go, open with layers in TIFF. Maybe i don't know better.:confused:

i'm using e6600 now with 4x 1g 800mhz ddr2.. i think e64xx plus 2gb matched ram is better cuz better overclocking abilities.

for the price difference now i would suggest an e6600 with 2gb ram...... i'm considering getting the asus p5b mobo with it...

Dear Witness,

Any particular board to use that you may wish to recommend. There is a Asus P5B i965P (HD audiio board) that is $543. This board should be able to use the Quad chip as well I think?

Plan to start with 2 GB RAM (667mhz) till 800mhz is at more reasonable price later I hope.

i'm using e6600 now with 4x 1g 800mhz ddr2.. i think e64xx plus 2gb matched ram is better cuz better overclocking abilities.
hmm, using 64bits OS? cos 4GB in 32bits OS seem to be limited to 3-3.5GB of rams. Unless enadble the PAE but then, hardware and software must go hand in hand.

What I suggest would be simple,
Any duo core cpu from either camp is good. 2GB of rams and 2xHDD for RAID 0 + another stand alone for storage.

hmm, using 64bits OS? cos 4GB in 32bits OS seem to be limited to 3-3.5GB of rams. Unless enadble the PAE but then, hardware and software must go hand in hand.

What I suggest would be simple,
Any duo core cpu from either camp is good. 2GB of rams and 2xHDD for RAID 0 + another stand alone for storage.
yar PAE is on. but from my tests, CS3 seem to have problem utilizing even 2gb.
currently testing out raid0 2 x 36gb raptors as pure scratch..

Have you considered a Mac Pro (desktop)? That comes with server class Xeon processors. (Quad processors at the moment I think). I tested a unit recently and it really flies.

Have you considered a Mac Pro (desktop)? That comes with server class Xeon processors. (Quad processors at the moment I think). I tested a unit recently and it really flies.

but that one have a bottle neck in the hard disk, its running 7200rpm SATA and not 15000rpm SCSI

but that one have a bottle neck in the hard disk, its running 7200rpm SATA and not 15000rpm SCSI

What rubbish... hahaha.... boot up on an external FW800 striped HDD stack lor...

What rubbish... hahaha.... boot up on an external FW800 striped HDD stack lor...

wah, run with raid 0+1 15krpm SCSI HD

yum yum

Btw

which laptop have the best screen to edit photo?

I cannot afford lenovo ones, just too expensive, got something close to what they have?

Btw

which laptop have the best screen to edit photo?

I cannot afford lenovo ones, just too expensive, got something close to what they have?

The Mac Books are pretty decent. The screens can be calibrated pretty easily too. So far that is the lowest I will go for. The Asus with good screens are not that cheap either, and those that falls under $2000, I have yet to come across any that is good. I might be wrong.

The Mac Books are pretty decent. The screens can be calibrated pretty easily too. So far that is the lowest I will go for. The Asus with good screens are not that cheap either, and those that falls under $2000, I have yet to come across any that is good. I might be wrong.

ya, at first i thought of mac book pro, but problem is a lot of software cannot run in Mac OS.

Lenovo IPS screen are really nice, but prices same as the Mac book pro, sian, end up buy non IPS screen

How much is that Asus model and whats the screen res?

There is a Asus P5B i965P (HD audiio board) that is $543. This board should be able to use the Quad chip as well I think?

Does anybody know if XPPro supports quad core? Coz the license sticker says "1-2 CPU" but i'm not sure it's bcoz there were no quad cores available then. TIA.

Does anybody know if XPPro supports quad core? Coz the license sticker says "1-2 CPU" but i'm not sure it's bcoz there were no quad cores available then. TIA.

i believe its the number of CPU that is counted, cause you see those duo core2 system, also 2 CPU ya, total got 4 core. Does not matter much, but just in case, give microsoft a call.

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=mscom&ln=zh-SG

Status
Not open for further replies.