Desktop studio setup, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrailsofLife

Jul 6, 2004
Singapore
I am setting up a mini studio setup on my desk for shooting auction items and some small product for fun.

Looked through CS but couldn't find relevant threads.

Any recommendations? Cheap stuff, just for fun kind?

Thanks
Max 2.8

There was an exact thread like this 1-2 months ago... With links to using simple cardboard boxes, etc

Not so worry about the light tent...

Those lights, anyone know where to buy? Or what kind of light to use?

Incandescents would be great, maybe a good halogen lamp. If you do get a good halogen. Fluorescent generally isn't recommended since the colour temperature isn't accurate (compared to daylight)

Hmmm....not too good at lights and lamps.

Will go shops and ask. Thanks!

hmm... just like to share, for simple product shots I used a light cube and 3x40W work lights. Normally I shot during night time, where i switch off the room light. Attached is a setup I did on my table (small area...)

LT01B.jpg

Not so worry about the light tent...

Notice that you also own a light tent (light cube). Saw your thread in the buy and sell... :)

Understand why you prefer to have a smaller one. I have three light cubes 98cm, 72cm and the 49cm. The one in the image is the 49cm one. The other two seldom used cause its just too big :sweat:

Notice that you also own a light tent (light cube). Saw your thread in the buy and sell... :)

Understand why you prefer to have a smaller one. I have three light cubes 98cm, 72cm and the 49cm. The one in the image is the 49cm one. The other two seldom used cause its just too big :sweat:

thanks for sharing! this is helpful. those lamps buy from where?

the lights are from ikea, last time i bought is S$7.90 per piece. My friend (photographer) managed to buy S$3.90 two week back duirng a sale offer. Now the offer no more already...

the lights are from ikea, last time i bought is S$7.90 per piece. My friend (photographer) managed to buy S$3.90 two week back duirng a sale offer. Now the offer no more already...

Are there more powerful ones? 100W perhaps?

Wah, without sales also good price leh. I saw PQ23 have some slave flash kit in his website, dunno good or not, but price is close to $200!

Can I request a sample of the result of your set up? Unedited ones.

Thanks

Are there more powerful ones? 100W perhaps?

yes, they do have bigger lights with more Ws... But I am not sure whether they have 100W or more, cause these are normal work lights. The highest I saw is 60W or 80W from one of the bigger ones. I only check out a few though...

All the bigger ones are above S$10/-. If you want, you can download ikea catalogue to know more about their products...

one minor note, they only sell warm light bulbs. For daylight or coolwhite bulbs you may have to check with them or buy elsewhere

Can I request a sample of the result of your set up? Unedited ones

just for references only...,
LTS_samples.jpg

with light cube
Camera: dimage A2
Shutter speed: 1/30-1/50
Tripod: used
lights: 3x40W lights from top, left and right (room light off)

the ones on the left is with light cube, the right just normal ambient light with window wide open... White balance is not adjusted and I did move the lights to experiment thus you see some differences in the images...

You can also refer to
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=247898
images from thread #4 (04-01-2007), No custom WB set, only with two 40W work lights (never shift the lights this time). You can see the the difference from the images from thread #1 which I never use any work lights or light cube. Notice the color difference in the camera also...

If you use custom WB and never shift the lights throughout the shoot. you may get a better unifrom white background lightning. I am still experimenting with the light cube, so I am still learning... a newbie.

Anyway, if you are buying the work lights and the S$3.90 offer is back, don't mind let me know. I want to buy three more :bsmilie:

Wowo, thanks. that was really helpful and hte pictures too.

Can tell me the exact light that you bought so only 40 watts enough? and the lamp you bought? I thgt need at least 100 watts? I also want to try to get and experiment. What if you shoot in the day and on the lights is it better?

Can tell me the exact light that you bought so only 40 watts enough?
The most recent product shoot (simple) I used is three 40W lights as shown in the image. Using three lights, I can set my shutter to 1/30-1/50. Two lights about 1/3-1/10.

and the lamp you bought? I thgt need at least 100 watts?
In theroy, the more powerful the better, but budget is my priority. Furthermore I am just doing simple product shoots, these work fine for me.

What if you shoot in the day and on the lights is it better?
I try... in the day time using natural light will create a yellow cast (slight) and also I can't get a accurate background lighting color as the sunlight keep changing.

Night time, if you are saying just using the ceiling light on the light tent, it wouldn't work. Not strong enough. If room light + the extra work lights, yes. But be aware not to cast your own shadow inside the light tent when shooting.

These are good info, wahgongzai. Thanks for sharing. When I set up mine, will post it here too, to benefit those who want to set up a desktop studio.

Now looking into PQ23's slave flash setup...looks good and within budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.