Desktop, Laptop or Tablet

Desktop, Laptop or Tablet?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poon

Apr 2, 2003
Visit site
Getting a new system mainly for the purpose of graphics and video editting. Can anyone give a unbias assessment on if laptops have evolved to be able to handle such job or should i stick with a good old fashion decktop? Or of coarse if tablet PC really the way to go in graphics editing?

I would advise getting a Desktop. I myself do quite alot of heavy duty work, I don't think getting a laptop will be as practical.

I think you will appreaciate the speed of the processor, speed of hard disk, capacity of hard disk ( video takes up alot of space ), more ram at much cheaper price. It can be upgraded easily when you need more HD space or more ram.

Thanks for the advice. But protablility is also a very inportant factor coz i leaving singapore for studies next year. So i was more like wondering if laptop even an option to consider or an absolute no? And from wat i can see the specs of a tablet is really low compared to a laptop.

The current range of notebooks (especially the recently launched Intel Pentium M and Intel Centrino Mobile Technology notebooks) have more than enough power to handle most graphics and video editing tasks (provided you are not trying to create the next Matrix sequel).

Tablets are a no-no, cos currently, they are designed using lower-power processors. However, when tablets start using Intel Pentium M processors (as compared to Intel Pentium III-M processors now), then the performance will have a corresponding increase.

Notebooks subsystem (hard disk, mobo speed, graphics cards) will always be one or two steps behind desktops, but the performance difference is increasingly becoming smaller.

I would recommend a laptop with Centrino technology. The main advantages of this technology are: 1) longer battery life (5-8hrs). for normal P4 or mobile P4, the battery can hardly last for 2 hrs. 2) lower weight (2.5kg or less) 3) mobility - wireless LAN 802.11b built-in

As for graphic capability, a centrino 1.3G (roughly equivalent to a 2GHz P4) with a 32M graphic card is more than adequate.

When I was sourcing around for my notebook recently, I have done many comprisons of spec and finally got an Acer TravelMate 800 for about $3K. I must say that I am very very pleased with it's performance. I couldn't detect much difference in its performance as compared to my 2GHz P4 desktop.

BTW, I near got a Dell Centrino for $300 less but didn't (lucky me, otherwise, I would miss the 1394 video port and the 64M RADEON 9000 Graphic.)

I use all 3 but for graphics work, I think the desktop will have the edge. One of the biggest benefits is the capability of having dual or multi-screen setups. You are likely to be opening a few windows and also a few programs so you will need as much screen real estate as possible. Once you have used multi-screen setups, its very hard to go back to a notebook.

Originally posted by Nescafe
As for graphic capability, a centrino 1.3G (roughly equivalent to a 2GHz P4) with a 32M graphic card is more than adequate.

Interesting. 1.3G Centrino equivalent to 2Ghz P4. Do you have link to benchmarks? Sites like Tom's Hardware Guide give very different results.

my advise is either get a desk top or a laptop.. dun get the tablet unless u have alot of money to spare .... anyway ... nowady laptop r quite hi powered.. shld be a prob... but i thibg in mind.. pls consider the warranty .. make sure the place has service centre 4 teh brand.. also ... i would recomend that u get a laptop powerful enough to last through ur studies... as in have more ram n hardisk.. so nxt time ...when requirements of software increase ... u wont be left wif a craling system.....

If really getting a laptop.... consider getting from friends in tertiary education centre... they basically offer veri good bundles .. lower cost is jus 1 of them

: ) jus my pt of view tats all .... : )

A desktop would be better if you are going to use it for graphic intensive stuff. If you are going to study overseas for a year or two, a desktop might be of a better value.

Originally posted by erwinx
Interesting. 1.3G Centrino equivalent to 2Ghz P4. Do you have link to benchmarks? Sites like Tom's Hardware Guide give very different results.

This is from PC Mag:
"In testing, the Pentium M systems did very well when compared with P4-M laptops. For example, a 1.4-GHz Pentium M unit easily beat out a 2.4-GHz P4-M system on our Business Winstone and Multimedia Content Creation Winstone tests. On Business Winstone, the Acer unit (the fastest of these Pentium M portables) scored 31.9, a 38 percent increase over the 2.4-GHz P4-M's score of 23.2."
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,924444,00.asp

I'm sure you can find more such reports. Here is another one: "Centrino Scores"

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,937902,00.asp

Laptop.

whatever processing prowess there is, u can still can carry about.

Originally posted by clive
Laptop.

whatever processing prowess there is, u can still can carry about.

plus you don't have to get an X-Drive while travelling, just use your notebook :)

since young i have been playing around with computers including hardware ... and i can tell u that ...

no matter how good is a laptop, it still cannot match a desktop in terms of performance .... simply because ... the hard disk is having a rotation on 4200 rpm ... which is a bottle neck.

no matter how fast is the processor of the notebook or how big the memory space u got ... the hard disk will slow down everything ...

for doing video editing ... most video editors prefer using it real time ... and only a desktop with a mid range but low end card cost about $1500/- which is the broadway video capture card.

4200rpm hard disk will take ages to do it ... not to mentioned the amount of ram u need in the desktop ...

althought porability is an issue, still a desktop to do video editing is really better in many aspects ...

if u are still keen on getting a notebook ... then get a apple ibook. in my opinion ... apple's notebook are good for photo editing. Video editing on it, not so sure .... but since apple products are cater more to the graphics and video side ... think the notebook should be able to do it ....

tablet PCs are not for editings ... its for corporate users who wanna joit down notes on a PC ... instead of a full scap paper ... the tablet can act as a full scap paper for u to write or draw anything on a "full scap A4 writing paper"

hopes it helps in some way or another.

I've also got the Acer Travelmate 800 and I find it to one of the most value for money.

1) DVD-ROM and CDRW combo drive
2) 512MB RAM
3) Great Graphics card with it's own RAM
4) Excellent Battery life - 5hrs on standard battery
5) Removable CD Drive for lighter weight - about 2.3kg
6) Quite thin - a little more than an inch
7) 4 USB 2.0 ports
8) 1394 port
9) Bundled Card reader - SM, SD, Memory Stick

Sorry. This part is a little off topic.

NESCAFE: I'm getting terrible wireless range for my laptop. Have you tried using the built in wireless nic ?

Maybe a little late, but this is my unbias assessment. If u really want portable power, I can only recommend one unit: The Macintosh PowerBook, running on G4 processor. That my friends, is a really kick butt machine. Go to www.apple.com.sg for info.

Originally posted by ChObiTs
If really getting a laptop.... consider getting from friends in tertiary education centre... they basically offer veri good bundles .. lower cost is jus 1 of them
Yupz thanks. Checked it out and its really alot cheaper. Will wait about a month before the next promotion comes again.

Originally posted by caseytan
plus you don't have to get an X-Drive while travelling, just use your notebook
Good idea. Considering i'm using mem stick which cost a bomb, extra portable storage device is always a plus.

Ok. Thanks alot everyone. Will take it into considerations. Really appriciate the advices.

Originally posted by Nescafe
This is from PC Mag:
"In testing, the Pentium M systems did very well when compared with P4-M laptops. For example, a 1.4-GHz Pentium M unit easily beat out a 2.4-GHz P4-M system on our Business Winstone and Multimedia Content Creation Winstone tests. On Business Winstone, the Acer unit (the fastest of these Pentium M portables) scored 31.9, a 38 percent increase over the 2.4-GHz P4-M's score of 23.2."
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,924444,00.asp

I'm sure you can find more such reports. Here is another one: "Centrino Scores"

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,937902,00.asp

thanks for the links :)

Originally posted by pit
I've also got the Acer Travelmate 800 and I find it to one of the most value for money.
Unfortunately, its weight is on the heavy side. This is unlike their earlier TM610 series, where they are closer to 2 Kg.

Is this a 15" only model, or do they have the 14.1" one also? Acer used the same body for their 14.1" and 15" models since the TM620 series, so making the 14.1" needlessly bigger than necessary. :(

IMHO, no way you would want to edit video on a notebook :p

On a basic desktop 2Ghz P4 512MB ram and 7,200rpm ide hdd, it can still be quite slow :p but it all depends on what you really wanna do on it.

Editing web graphics or digicam images should be generally okay on all three.

Just to inform you guys, a 7,200 RPM laptop harddisk has been introduced by HGST (Hitachi, formerly by IBM)

Price and availability unknown.
If you are really hardcore, get SCSI.
Or you could just go get an Avid system. :devil:

www.hgst.com

Status
Not open for further replies.