Stereobox

Dec 21, 2003
Cocteau Twins
descension.jpg

edgy :thumbsup:

Stereobox said:
edgy?

*lol* thanks

first word that came to my mind... guess what I meant was that its not "normal" and that there's an edge, a corner, an angle to this image that cuts across.

flambe said:
first word that came to my mind... guess what I meant was that its not "normal" and that there's an edge, a corner, an angle to this image that cuts across.

I think the word "edgy" is not quite the right word for what you had described.

The word "edgy" can be used to imply or describe " unsettling", high-strung, jittery, irritable.

Nonetheless, I think the word "edgy" for this image is not inappropriate.

There is an element of "unsettled state", anxiety, tenseness, nervousness etc as shown in the facial expression of this young lady - a longing, a waiting, a searching, looking, and a partial state of undress.

The sense of edginess further enhanced by the play of contrast, the young lady emerging from the darkness on the left, and the stark brightness of the window with the sharp straight lines of the window frames, with the brightness leading out of the image frame.

You may want to relook at the design for this again. I sense you could be shoot to do a mood shot with a little touch of pretty young thing as window dressing. It is not working unless the window is the subject which I think it's not. It is most definitely not edgy - too soft to be edgy. Your pretty young thing is a little to placid- giving us the cold shoulder does not make us like her too much. May be getting too old - younger hormons can make a whole pxxxxx movie outta see a little skin - it's just a bare shoulder what's new ? The concept could be workable but the execution does not fly.

student said:
I think the word "edgy" is not quite the right word for what you had described.

The word "edgy" can be used to imply or describe " unsettling", high-strung, jittery, irritable.

Nonetheless, I think the word "edgy" for this image is not inappropriate.

There is an element of "unsettled state", anxiety, tenseness, nervousness etc as shown in the facial expression of this young lady - a longing, a waiting, a searching, looking, and a partial state of undress.

The sense of edginess further enhanced by the play of contrast, the young lady emerging from the darkness on the left, and the stark brightness of the window with the sharp straight lines of the window frames, with the brightness leading out of the image frame.

:) Thanks doc for eloquently expressing what I could not... indeed I do mean that there is a sense of an unsettled, angst-filled state :thumbsup:

thank you everyone for the comments. there have been some really interesting interpretations, especially the one from student, flambe and ellery.

this picture was originally planned as the 2nd in a series of 4. after much thought and consideration, i've decided to post only this one, give it a vague title, no writeup and invite open interpretations.

here is mine

Descension is the story of a young lady who slowly succumbed to the troubles of the mind.
I've cropped the picture intentionally in a 'non-traditional' way for the exact purpose of creating a sense of inappropriateness. her hair falls over her face, half-obscuring the crazed look in her eyes. dress is slipping over her shoulders but she has other more arresting thoughts playing in her mind. as she look out the window, she hopes for redemption. i had hoped the obvious symbolism of the Cross won't be too cliche.

i feel that if you could show more of the eyes. could convey more feelings.
overall the mood is there

kentaroC said:
i feel that if you could show more of the eyes. could convey more feelings.
overall the mood is there

glad you like the mood

yes, eyes can tell stories.

however for this instance, i try to let other elements convey the 'mood' too.

Status
Not open for further replies.