Depth of View Preview.. i still dun geddit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyrrad

Pardon me for the goodu question but, I still dun get the depth on view preview function. :dunno:

I understand that wat it does is to allow me to see how much the apperture opens (i think). But except for making the viewfinder darker (for a smaller apperture) how does it allow me to gauge how much depth of field will appear in my shot?

I mean I can't really tell if the DOP is going to be shallower or deeper. What / how am I to use it effectively?

Danke....

Originally posted by lyrrad
Pardon me for the goodu question but, I still dun get the depth on view preview function. :dunno:

I understand that wat it does is to allow me to see how much the apperture opens (i think). But except for making the viewfinder darker (for a smaller apperture) how does it allow me to gauge how much depth of field will appear in my shot?

I mean I can't really tell if the DOP is going to be shallower or deeper. What / how am I to use it effectively?

Danke....

Very simply:

1. Press DoF Preview : Image will darken as the lens is stopped down to selected aperture e.g. f/8.

2. Through the dark image, you can see which parts of the image is sharp/unsharp.

Regards
CK

is there any metering device tt able to tell us what f-stop value should use when selecting the 2 different points ?

I think Megaweb is referring to Auto-DEP mode, which is different from DOF Preview.

DOF Preview is a FEATURE that allows you to see what the image will look like stopped down to the aperture of your choice (as opposed to wide open, which is what we see through the viewfinder).

Auto-DEP is a MODE of exposure setting that automatically stops down the aperture to the value which will allow the objects covered by more than one focusing point to be simultaneously in focus (ie it AUTOMATICALLY ADJUSTS the DOF).

If indeed this is what Megaweb is referring to, then the answer is simply to point the camera in A_DEP mode at the two objects and half-press the shutter (making sure the focusing points are over these two objects). The aperture chosen by the camera meter is the one you should use.

Not sure if Streetshooter is using canon body, but for canon, when u use the A_DEP mode, the sequence of event goes like this

1. Point the focus point at the nearest object u want to keep in focus and press the shutter button (note: full press, not half)

2. Poin the focus point at the furthest object u want to keep in focus and press the shutter button.

3. The third press is for the picture to be taken.

Some one once told me the A_DEP mode is unique to Canon products only. Not sure how true this is.

Also, for Canon, the DOF preview is an electronic 'calculation'. The aperture in the lens are not actually 'physically' stopped down. Its only an electronic thing on the viewfinder

For Nikon, the DOF preview actually stops down the lens aperture. Hence u can actually hear those aperture blades moving.

As for minolta....erm...well, u interested to know? heh heh.... :devil: :D

Originally posted by Shadus
Also, for Canon, the DOF preview is an electronic 'calculation'. The aperture in the lens are not actually 'physically' stopped down. Its only an electronic thing on the viewfinder

For Nikon, the DOF preview actually stops down the lens aperture. Hence u can actually hear those aperture blades moving.

As for minolta....erm...well, u interested to know? heh heh.... :devil: :D

A_DEP is probably Canon-specific, never heard of such feature in Nikon. :(

You sure the Canons does't physically stop down the lens? Then how come the viewfinder image and get darker and you can actually see which parts are sharp?

Minolta, dunno man. Dun care. ;p

Regards
CK

Sulhan:

I am using a Canon body, but you don't need 3 presses to use A_DEP mode.

Here's the section from the manual:

adep.gif

And I am QUITE sure that the aperture is physically stopped down when using DOF Preview...

when using dof preview with minolta, the LCD will show you a meter . this meter will tell the area that will be sharp or soft. the background behind the subject or the foreground infront the subject. innovative eh?

for nikon and canon, it only show you dark screen like wat you encountered, sucks eh ? like wat ckiang said :

". Press DoF Preview : Image will darken as the lens is stopped down to selected aperture e.g. f/8."

Sucks eh??

upgrade to minolta lor. DOF works like a champ. you won't bother by the dark DOF preview again.

Originally posted by ninelives
when using dof preview with minolta, the LCD will show you a meter . this meter will tell the area that will be sharp or soft. the background behind the subject or the foreground infront the subject. innovative eh?

for nikon and canon, it only show you dark screen like wat you encountered, sucks eh ? like wat ckiang said :

". Press DoF Preview : Image will darken as the lens is stopped down to selected aperture e.g. f/8."

Sucks eh??

upgrade to minolta lor. DOF works like a champ. you won't bother by the dark DOF preview again.

The caveat is that, while it will tell you which areas are in focus/out of focus, you can't see how nice/not nice the bokeh is at a certain aperture.... :) :devil:

Regards
CK

haha I think DOF preview is still better... the minoltas have it anyway... cos if calculating solely by D then the diff between 10 or 15 metres is crucial once u tele...

Originally posted by ckiang

The caveat is that, while it will tell you which areas are in focus/out of focus, you can't see how nice/not nice the bokeh is at a certain aperture.... :) :devil:

Regards
CK

i forget to add, minolta camera also got traditional DOF preview like wat u have mentioned. ;p it works exactly like Nikon.

plus the DOF metering I have mentioned.

So it means there is two type of DOF preview for you to choose.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Sulhan:

I am using a Canon body, but you don't need 3 presses to use A_DEP mode.

Here's the section from the manual:

And I am QUITE sure that the aperture is physically stopped down when using DOF Preview...

Now just to make sure both of us dun confuse a newbie. This has made me conclude that different Canon bodies have different ways of handling its functions. I've an EOS 30 body. And it doesn't work quite the way Streetshooters

See Page 60 & 61

As for whether it actually stops down the lens. I wish Street shooter is right too, coz it mind-boggling to understand how Canon does it. But, on my body, there's not a whisper of sound whenever I use the DOF preview.

heh... so you see... it really depends.... :D

Anyway, StreetShooter, which body are u using?

Shadus (sorry, got you confused with Sulhan),

I'm using a D30.

Yes, it's interesting that Canon has different ways of implementing A-DEP mode.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Shadus (sorry, got you confused with Sulhan),

Now I'm the confused one :confused:
You mean if its me, your reply will be different? :p :D

Oh, D30, heh heh, no wonder the way yours work, it seems more advance and less troublesome then the 3-action which EOS 30 requireds...heh heh

Status
Not open for further replies.