Depth of field problem with Canon S3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomlowct

Jun 9, 2006
TPY
www.tomlowct.multiply.com
I wonder why the photos taken with the aperture/shutter priority mode do not follow exactly the stop I've set? E.g. I set the aperture to f8 in the aperture priority mode, however the photo was captured at aperture f3.5 eventually.

And, I still failed to create a very depth of field photo? Please help!!! :(

tomlowct said:
I wonder why the photos taken with the aperture/shutter priority mode do not follow exactly the stop I've set? E.g. I set the aperture to f8 in the aperture priority mode, however the photo was captured at aperture f3.5 eventually.

You sure you got the right mode & right setting?

tomlowct said:

:think: Yoda: Understand you I do not :think:

small point to note that even if settings are correctly set & executed, due to the small sensor size, the DOF might not be as narrow as what you'd expect from DSLRs.

didn't off the safety shift feature??

J-Chan said:
didn't off the safety shift feature??
Yup, this is the problem.

To turn safety shift off:
Press Menu button
You will be in the Record Menu (Red Camera icon)
Scroll all the way to Safety Shift
You can set it to Off/Onn here.

tomlowct, you can just shoot in manual mode if you wish. That way, it will stay to whatever you set. I normally leave the safety shift on. Safety shift is used if you want to get the proper exposure in Tv or Av mode. The camera will try to adjust your settings. Also, it is turned off when you use flash.

Did you use the Av mode? If you are in Tv mode then you cannot control the aperture setting.

And when u say "very depth of field (DOF) photo, you mean very shallow or very deep?

If you want shallow DOF you should use f2.7 instead of f8.

With S3 (which is not DSLR and the CCD is smaller, you cannot get very shallow DOF like the DSLR).

U can go to this thread to see what S3 can do:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=194274&page=41

See the dog on the lap of a person with red T shirt.

tomlowct said:

Status
Not open for further replies.