Depth Of Field Preview Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red4Ever

Aug 25, 2008
Sorry newbie here, and I have settled on the D90 and a lot of people keep talking about the depth of field preview button, just a question, is it really a button or a term used? If its a button usually where is it located? If it's not can someone still explain to me exactly what it is? Went online to read but find it really chim (complicated) can someone explain it in simpler terms? THANKS!!!

Sorry newbie here, and I have settled on the D90 and a lot of people keep talking about the depth of field preview button, just a question, is it really a button or a term used? If its a button usually where is it located? If it's not can someone still explain to me exactly what it is? Went online to read but find it really chim (complicated) can someone explain it in simpler terms? THANKS!!!

1. RTFM.
2. Take your lens, set your aperture to f10, point it at something and try it out.

Its definitely found in the manual. thats hw i discovered about the button on the D80, and understood how to use it. its a damn great help to me.

It's in your manual. Read your manual.

...... if people keep talking about the depth of field preview button, just a question, is it really a button or a term used? If its a button usually where is it located? If it's not can someone still explain to me exactly what it is? ........

Depth of field is a button located on the camera body. Around the circumference of the lens mount hole, there are three black colour buttons. One located below the "D90" logo is for release the lens from lens mount. The second located below the AF-Assist light (beside the shutter release button) is the user-customizable quick function button. The other is the depth of field preview, which you are looking for. See the manual on page 3 for item no. 17and page 82 for more details. If you have not obtained the D90 manual, download from link at http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D90_ennoprint.pdf

..... can someone explain it in simpler terms?.....

In simple term, "depth of field" refers to the in-focus zone of a picture as shown in examples at http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/DOF-ShallowDepthofField.jpg and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Depth_of_field_diagram.png

"Depth of field preview" allows the user to examine if the "depth of field" suitable for the photograph to be captured before the shutter release button is pressed. Example of suitable "depth of field" is the flower examples at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field

1. RTFM.
2. Take your lens, set your aperture to f10, point it at something and try it out.

Its definitely found in the manual. thats hw i discovered about the button on the D80, and understood how to use it. its a damn great help to me.

It's in your manual. Read your manual.

Maybe TS doesn't have his D90 yet? ...

In simple terms :

When you shoot with your D90, you are looking through the lens at its widest aperture setting , and this true regardless of the aperture you set on your camera ( This is to facilitate viewing with bright viewfinder ) The brightness you see from the viewfinder of a 50mm lens at f1.4 and at f11 is the same. You cannot appreciate the depth of field from such an instance.

The aperture stops down when the instance you take the shot.

In order to see how the depth of field at say f11 is via the viewfinder, the DOF preview button transiently stops down the aperture and you can scrutinise it before making the shot.

It can definitely aid in composition, also helps you appreciate overly bright / dark areas in the shot.

Ryan

Last edited:
Given. The manual is available online.
But how many sane people read through the whole manual of a DSLR before buying it? I know i wouldn't... :think:

But those same people can google "Depth Of Field Preview Button" and get a TON of websites with real-life examples.

why do we need a DOF button? can't we use the LCD to check depth of field more clearly after taking a shot? given that D90 LCD is very much better than previous cams..

more useful for modeling flash while putting on an external flash IMHO.

Given. The manual is available online.
But how many sane people read through the whole manual of a DSLR before buying it? I know i wouldn't... :think:

I am not trying to be nasty or anything, but then, there is a difference between "how does a DOF preview button work" and a "in what situation can i use a DOF preview button". first question is a RTFM question, and the second is an applications question. first one means he din read the manual, second one means he dun understand the manual. and that is assuming he has a D90 already.

and giving the benefit of the doubt, he doesnt have a D90, googling "what is DOF button" got me plenty of relavant hits immediately which will definitely solve my queries. so, did he really google hard enough?

ok i shall be nice. TS, here is the DOF button.
D80_dofpbutton.jpg

Last edited:
why do we need a DOF button? can't we use the LCD to check depth of field more clearly after taking a shot? given that D90 LCD is very much better than previous cams..

i use that to find roughly the correct DOF before i take a shot. so i dont have to take 6 pictures of the same thing to get the correct DOF. rotate dial, press DOF button. like what i see, click shutter button. i dont like to increase my camera shutter count that way. :think:

I am not trying to be nasty or anything, but then, there is a difference between "how does a DOF preview button work" and a "in what situation can i use a DOF preview button". first question is a RTFM question, and the second is an applications question. first one means he din read the manual, second one means he dun understand the manual. and that is assuming he has a D90 already.

:bsmilie:
oh wells, to each is own. No offense intended :)

i use that to find roughly the correct DOF before i take a shot. so i dont have to take 6 pictures of the same thing to get the correct DOF. rotate dial, press DOF button. like what i see, click shutter button. i dont like to increase my camera shutter count that way. :think:

yeah..quite conservative..thanks.
honestly though, checking DOF thru the tiny view finder is more useful when using wider aperture lens..say..like f/1.8 or f/1.4 primes?

yeah..quite conservative..thanks.
honestly though, checking DOF thru the tiny view finder is more useful when using wider aperture lens..say..like f/1.8 or f/1.4 primes?

i wun be able to answer that though. cos bout the only time i use the DOF button is when i mount my 50mm f/1.8. cos at f/1.8, DOF is almost razor thin. i learnt it the hard way. wasted an entire afternoon's work.

1. there was a time people used film.
2. if a feature was fairly useful for a film camera, it doesn't hurt to keep it around for digitals. With DOFP button, one doesn't have to take 2-3 pictures to set the correct DoF. It's not difficult to implement anyway. Just a signal to lens that is already implemented.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I finally understood!

i am also using D90 but when i press the DOF button in A mode with f1.4, i dont' see the expected differences. It still looks the same and the aperture just open and close quickly. has anyone experience this and is this a faulty camera.

Even with you selecting a stopped down aperture?

what are your guys opinion on the location of the preview button?

Status
Not open for further replies.