Depth of field in portrait photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

noelle

Aug 7, 2007
i have played around with a d70 + kit lens (which is i believe after googling is the AF-S Nikkor DX 18-70mm f3.5-4.5G IF-ED Zoom).

to achieve shallow depth of field with model sharp and background blur with the d70, i could only shoot half body shots (about waist up). when i tried full-length, i couldn't achieve the same depth of field... am i doing anything wrong? is it possible to shoot full-length + clear model + background blur with the kit lens? or will i have to get a lens with bigger aperture or longer lens?

i have pretty much decided on 400d + 17-85mm (but it only has maximum aperture of 4 though longer focal length..) would like to know what i'm in for (i.e. would i be able to take full-length shots with shallow depth of field or only half body?) :dunno:

thanks!

i have played around with a d70 + kit lens (which is i believe after googling is the AF-S Nikkor DX 18-70mm f3.5-4.5G IF-ED Zoom).

to achieve shallow depth of field with model sharp and background blur with the d70, i could only shoot half body shots (about waist up). when i tried full-length, i couldn't achieve the same depth of field... am i doing anything wrong? is it possible to shoot full-length + clear model + background blur with the kit lens? or will i have to get a lens with bigger aperture? would having longer lens help?

i have pretty much decided on 400d + 17-85mm (but it only has maximum aperture of 4...) would like to know what i'm in for. :dunno:

thanks!

If I'm not wrong, for full body shot + background blur you'd probably need to get a 50mm f1.8 lens. Such a lens goes for only $100+ so you can give it a shot. Otherwise that's about the best your kit lens can do. :)

By why get a 400D when you already have a d70?

if you want shallow DOF effect on full body shots, you need a longer focal length lens, something like 100mm and above, the longer the better.

position your model far far away from the background...

thanks all, thought i was doing something wrong. i would be able to achieve at least half body shots + shallow depth of field on the 400d + 17-85mm right since it's possible with the d70?

i'm gravitating towards 17-85mm (since it's canon, has IS, better resale value, supposedly better quality since not a superzoom) but want to be sure that i'm not making a mistake not getting the 18-200mm tamron (not considering sigma unfortunately realised it's too ex for me).

p7m13, d70 isn't mine, borrowed it. :)

ExplorerZ, so position model closer to camera and far far away from background?

the further away the background, the more blur it will be, quite logical actually. :)

thanks all, thought i was doing something wrong. i would be able to achieve at least half body shots + shallow depth of field on the 400d + 17-85mm right since it's possible with the d70?

i'm gravitating towards 17-85mm (since it's canon, has IS, better resale value, supposedly better quality since not a superzoom) but want to be sure that i'm not making a mistake not getting the 18-200mm tamron (not considering sigma unfortunately realised it's too ex for me).

p7m13, d70 isn't mine, borrowed it. :)

ExplorerZ, so position model closer to camera and far far away from background?
theres a limit you can position your camera away from the model with the specific focal length if you want to do full body, so the only way is find a background that is really far. :bsmilie:
longer focal length does help as well, but you will have to move further back...

Use longer focal length. If you are using the 18-70, shoot at 70mm f/4.5. You may be standing further from the subject for full body shot, you should more or less get what you wanted.

I use 85mm for full body shot sometimes. The results is lovely.

BC

DOF depends on 3 things

1) Fstop
2) Focal length of lens
3) Distance to subject

so using a bigger aperture, a longer lens and positioning the model further from the background will help.

:)

use a 50 1.8
Problem solved.
or else a 85 1.8 also can.

hm, i still like to 35mm, or 50mm sometimes. well it really does not matter actually, just move closer with a 35mm, haha. cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.