Depth of field effects... Canon A590 IS Powershot can?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 23.3 mm is the telephoto ( *tele* ) end of your zoom. The 4x is the zoom ratio using 23.2mm/5.8mm ( The longest focal length of the zoom divided by the shortest )

Shoot at the telephoto end at the widest possible aperture and have yourself move back to frame the same shot and try. Using a longer focal length can appear as though the depth of field is reduced and while having your subject in focus, having abit more blur at the background too.

Ryan

Buddy,

so you mean is, i zoom in 4X and move back to get the same size of subject.. but may get better blur effects right?

hi, just saw ur questionposted at the top. this is how you can make the 'bokeh' (background blur effect). the blur becomesmore obvious when there is more distance from the subject in focus and the back ground, so basically, it cant be done with a girl at 1m and a blur tree at 2m. the distance is not far enough. the blur would look good only if the tree is far away enough. otherwise, zoom out all the way (4x zoom), put it to the largest aperture(small f number) and take again. ofcourse now the largest aperture wun be 2.8 anymorela...like 4.5 or 5.3. yup. these are the ways... the best is to givethe subject and the background more distance like a girl in front of a quarry or sth. or u can just take the sunject really close.
heres what i mean...

camera>-1meters-(girl)-10 meters-(tree)

or

camera>-0.5m-(girl)-5meters-(tree)

both will have very good bokeh even though the treeismuch closer. its somewhat like ratio...haha
p.s. pros correct meif i'm wrong (just speaking from past exp):)

cheers happy shooting

bros can explain why apparently ZOOM in max can get better blur?

bros can explain why apparently ZOOM in max can get better blur?

cos focal length is a function of DoF, zooming in increases focal length, thus DoF is shallower..

Please don't waste time, you can't achieve the same DOF as a DSLR with a PNS, people who replied are not helping at all. Their focal length in 35mm equivalent may be the same, but the actual focal length of a DSLR is many times that of a PNS.

Please don't waste time, you can't acheive the same DOF as a DSLR witha PNS, people who replied are not helping at all. Their focal length in 35mm equivalent may be the same, but the actual focal length of a DSLR is many times that of a PNS.

true you can't get the same DoF as a dSLR, but PNS still can produce pronounced shallow DoF.. just not as shallow as you would get on a dSLR..

2270280092_9d10168141_d.jpg

from my friend's S5IS..

Have u guys thought of photoshop?
Many orignal images dont get as much depth of field as the processed ones. Rather than fuss over how much DOP a PnS can get...just focus on PS skills.
Will make no diff to most people. =>

quite true.. jsut that i wan to know how the best i can get from my humble 590 loh... so i think what everyone is suggesting is the best way is to go further from the subject then zoom in max... should get better blur?

2579811993_c1a6621181.jpg

NOTE : The wider the line apart at the background, the more blur the picture, and when the two lines meet, that is where focused.

Left :
The object is nearer to the background.

Right :
The object is nearer to you.

This kind of effect actually can be achieved by zooming to the fullest with aperture 5.5 , and you should stand more far away for sure, if not you will only get a nose or eyes.. and it depends on the subject if at 2.6 is it near or far away from the background, to understand it just try it few times...if you still crazy about it, buy a DSLR..:bsmilie: joking :p

Maybe you will get something from this...Cheers

ooorhh... then how about manual and auto focus.. does it make a diff?

WAH...I am surprised the thread has gone to on this length:sweat::bigeyes:

Hi Leo, you are in luck:bsmilie:

dont like this leh.. i know my Q very noob... so sorry... Rashkae i see.. for some time i tot manual plays a part.. as in perhaps auto focus may wrongly try to focus all sharp.. so i was like always telling my subject ..ok stand there.. then i spend like half a minute trying to slowly focus.. LOL so it totally no point la ? :p

dont like this leh.. i know my Q very noob... so sorry... Rashkae i see.. for some time i tot manual plays a part.. as in perhaps auto focus may wrongly try to focus all sharp.. so i was like always telling my subject ..ok stand there.. then i spend like half a minute trying to slowly focus.. LOL so it totally no point la ? :p

No lah, I dun mean it that way,:bsmilie:...I am also very new and sometimes do get an "earful" when I asked things...tat's why I say you are in luck. :bsmilie:

don't give up yet. you need to try until you get the hang of it. then you know how to get the effect you wan, or when you can't. I also had this problem (i used to have sony H7) until i went to sentosa and tried out all those things i read on the flowers.

basically, get as close as you can to the subject, then tele as far as you can (tele until the autofocus almost cannot focus. autofocus, but not full auto mode). frame your subject such that most of the background is far away from the subject. try out on different things and you will slowly "get" how dof works for your camera.

Sorry if I not making any sense. I still a noob.

Hi I think it's not possible to create the effect that "lady @ 1M , tree @ 2M is blur" with ur cam considering the actual focal length is 20mm to 30mm at most. But you can try some macro shots instead. I have got some very well blurred pics with my Canon PNS cam.

Happy shooting~~

Status
Not open for further replies.