Visit site
Hi,

sharing some pics i took this morn
and hoping for some constructive comments

Pic 1
IMG_8731a.jpg

Pic 2
IMG_8667a.jpg

I think PS is definitely better than your earlier works. But looking at these photos makes me feel no breakthrough. Don't just portrait faces/bodies, use your imagination. When you have a good model, try to pose her, interact wit her, and catch her attitude.

I hope you could consider my opinion from the positive light. :)

tomshen said:
I think PS is definitely better than your earlier works. But looking at these photos makes me feel no breakthrough. Don't just portrait faces/bodies, use your imagination. When you have a good model, try to pose her, interact wit her, and catch her attitude.

I hope you could consider my opinion from the positive light. :)

thanks
i am learning on my own
i also realised that shooting like this in a group very hard to learn more

thinking of attending a course
can recommend?
for i am still very new in photography

:)

icyflame said:
thanks
i am learning on my own
i also realised that shooting like this in a group very hard to learn more

thinking of attending a course
can recommend?
for i am still very new in photography

:)
I haven't attended any formal photography course except for a few studio lighting ones, so I cannot be any helpful in this regard. Personally I don't think it's necessary to attend a course for improvement. There are quite a number of good websites with many inspiring works. Surf around and find what you like. Imitate them first and later your own ideas will come out.

Anyway, we all learn from each session. Keep it up!

tomshen said:
I haven't attended any formal photography course except for a few studio lighting ones, so I cannot be any helpful in this regard. Personally I don't think it's necessary to attend a course for improvement. There are quite a number of good websites with many inspiring works. Surf around and find what you like. Imitate them first and later your own ideas will come out.

Anyway, we all learn from each session. Keep it up!

Thanks for the encouragement
I will keep that in mind (i have seen a lot of ur shoots, all very nice)
but most of the time the model is too busy with around 5 others shooting to really interact

hmm think i should try to con my frens to let me practice on them ;p

I konw your constraints, but that shouldn't be execuses :D We all want to do each session better, not just repeating, don't you?

... and again, the above are nice works, both the photos and the model. I am just asking something more, since you seem like a regular...

tomshen said:
I konw your constraints, but that shouldn't be execuses :D We all want to do each session better, not just repeating, don't you?

haha :bsmilie:
yap yap
must stop giving myself excuses

if ever there's a chance to meet u must give me some pointers

i will start by looking at magazines and webpages
thx again :D

tomshen said:
... and again, the above are nice works, both the photos and the model. I am just asking something more, since you seem like a regular...

:) i did joined a few photoshoots and really did learn a lot from the experience ones there (guess that's the best thing about mass photoshoots, and the organisors are all very helpful and kind to point out mistakes)
started shooting since end oct last yr when i got my 300d

hi, icyflame!

#1 - i like! nice and sharp pic. :thumbsup:

every one will, at some time, run out of ideas to shoot. as for joining classes, IMO, would be a good starting point. at least for me, it's good to learn the basics and get them right. i'm still sourcing for a suitable studio portraiture class to get my basics. no harm in joining classes. of course, there are some who believe in shooting, and shooting some more to perfect ur techniques. to each his/her own. but, dun give up lah! :bsmilie:

why not try joining studio shooting for a change? in a controlled environment, u can learn how to compose your shots without worrying too much abt lighting etc. dats my view. currently, i'm shooting more indoors to practice my techniques (where to focus, composition, posing, communication with model etc...) b4 moving back outdoors.

Another hot babe :thumbsup:

Can see that she took the trouble to do her own make up.

Composition wise, u can go through FHM or Swimsuit Illistrated for more ideas.

I truly agree what Tom Shen suggested :thumbsup:

Only pic 4 works for me, try a tighter crop,

pic 1 - her head seems a bit out of proportion with the body. try another angle

pic 2/3 - neither here nor there. think about the entire composition again.

Hi Icyflame;

This series seems to be not up to what you have achieved previously. I'm sorry to say that but have done much better on previous occasions. There is no sense of the viewer getting the sense of physical proportions, or being able to connect with the shots in any level (at least for me) but it comes across as simply some shots of a woman in a two piece... You have most probably understood the basics and the techniques involved. Now, you need to establish a style.

I hope you don't take it the wrong way mate.

Keep shooting. :)

Wolfgang said:
Hi Icyflame;

This series seems to be not up to what you have achieved previously. I'm sorry to say that but have done much better on previous occasions. There is no sense of the viewer getting the sense of physical proportions, or being able to connect with the shots in any level (at least for me) but it comes across as simply some shots of a woman in a two piece... You have most probably understood the basics and the techniques involved. Now, you need to establish a style.

I hope you don't take it the wrong way mate.

Keep shooting. :)

thx to all that have contributed and most of all those who are frank
hopefully i will be able to estab my own style
thx!!!!

hi icyflame,
could you tell me what sort of post processing you have for pic#1? i have to achieve that kind of clear and clean look for the skin tone. or perhaps you could share with me what type of camera, lens and lighting you had there? appreciated. :)

Hi,

2 more Pics for comments. Will not be posting her other attire though ;)

Pic 5
IMG_8993s.jpg

Pic 6
IMG_8952a.jpg

Forgot to include that super minimal ps was done

trevor said:
hi icyflame,
could you tell me what sort of post processing you have for pic#1? i have to achieve that kind of clear and clean look for the skin tone. or perhaps you could share with me what type of camera, lens and lighting you had there? appreciated. :)

Hi,

Photonet18 was also asking me how i process pic2 for the soft effect.

Anyway, I really can't really list down all my steps as i tweak them according to the pics
but generally i follow these steps
1) "level" the pics to ensure correct exposure and colour
2) "heal" all super obvious blemishes
3) save as another file and reopen
4) duplicate layer
5) blur layer
6) history brush the features based on what i wanna achieve (smooth skin or soft effect, etc)
7) set blending options depending on what i wanna do (can try lighten, screen, luminious,etc) and %
8) flatten image
9) resize (for posting or printing)
10) adjust contrast (i have a few ways/actions)
11) highpass sharpening

err all done quite fast although seems like quite a few steps
try it!

rem i vary the steps depending on what i want. what i listed are the basic. i also have another diff way of retouching but that one too complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.