Dell Ultrasharp U2711 27" IPS LCD Monitor

Got the U2711, using it as 2nd monitor on my mac bk pro. Am having a hard time calibrating it to look the same (color) as my mac's LCD. Used syder 3 pro also didn't produce accurate color...help! anyone having similar issue? resolution doesn't look great, is it because of the output from mac? already selected 1920x1080 resolution on the mac... :(

hi

i think it is due to your mac bk's poor color capability... in my limited knowledge, the good display from Apple are the Cinema Display...

Got the U2711, using it as 2nd monitor on my mac bk pro. Am having a hard time calibrating it to look the same (color) as my mac's LCD. Used syder 3 pro also didn't produce accurate color...help! anyone having similar issue? resolution doesn't look great, is it because of the output from mac? already selected 1920x1080 resolution on the mac... :(

1920 x 1080 is not the native resolution for the screen, it's 2560 x 1440!

so this means that the DELL monitor is not optimize if used with a display adaptor not capable of delivering 2560 x 1440? i m using only mac book pro...any suggestion for my situation? like sell U2711 and get a smaller monitor with native resolution of 1920x1080 ? thanks.

What is the best resolution for reading text? I am thinking if getting the 27", the text will get so tiny that you would need to sit 3" away from the screen. It seems like the old 1280x768 still produce the ideal font size as my old parents can read that. Maybe need 2 LCD, one for text and the other for graphics.

so this means that the DELL monitor is not optimize if used with a display adaptor not capable of delivering 2560 x 1440? i m using only mac book pro...any suggestion for my situation? like sell U2711 and get a smaller monitor with native resolution of 1920x1080 ? thanks.
Its not because the monitor is not optimised, its because your Macbook's lousy graphics adaptor that can't display at such high resolution. No offence but if you intend to use it with your Mac, you should get the Apple LED Cinema Display or any of Dell's 24" offerings. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
What is the best resolution for reading text? I am thinking if getting the 27", the text will get so tiny that you would need to sit 3" away from the screen. It seems like the old 1280x768 still produce the ideal font size as my old parents can read that. Maybe need 2 LCD, one for text and the other for graphics.
I think you have already answered your own question. Yes I do agree with you the U2711 resolution is high which makes text looks smaller. You can always adjust the text size higher in control panel or system preferences. Cheers!

Thanks Hazmee, will put it up there :)

ManWearPants: There's no problem with mac or monitor, i should have check/understand what my mac bk pro's max output resolution before rushing to get the 27'' monitor. In my case U2410 will be more suitable...

And what was amazing was when i called Dell Technical support for enquiry, while trying to make a point politely, line was cut, seemed like she hang-up on me...haiz...

hi

the good display from Apple are the Cinema Display...

Cinema Display for display - a resounding YES :bsmilie:

Cinema Display for display - a resounding YES :bsmilie:

actually alot of ppl thinks that ALL Apple products are good for photo editing... and i thought so too at first... but i made 3 queries to Apple (2x in person, 1x thru their tech support) to ask them about the color gamut of their displays, no one can answer me... they don't know what is gamut... i have to spell it out to them. i was on the phone with that guy for 20min.. in the end, he told me, whatever info is on the apple.com is what u will get... and there is no mention of gamut support in apple.com for those laptop display... so i guess the gamut for them must not be that good...

but Dell does specifies the gamut specification for their 2311, 2211 etc ...

Apple's branding is very successful really

There's no problem with mac or monitor, i should have check/understand what my mac bk pro's max output resolution before rushing to get the 27'' monitor. In my case U2410 will be more suitable...

Hi frenzatwork,

Sorry to hear that this is happening for you. Unfortunately I don't use a mac so don't think I can offer much help here. But my experience with PC notebook is that most of their VGA output is quite limited, and won't be able to generate very high resolution output for the Dell U2711. Even for desktop, the VGA card will need to have dual link DVI to take advantage of the native resolution of the U2711. But the fortunate thing is that if you bought it during the special promotion, selling off won't be too much of a problem I guess, since you can sell it at a very good price.

Yes indeed. Steve Jobs is a good salesman and nothing else. And unfortunately he is pro proprietary system unlike Steve Wozniak who is pro open system. :)

actually alot of ppl thinks that ALL Apple products are good for photo editing... and i thought so too at first... but i made 3 queries to Apple (2x in person, 1x thru their tech support) to ask them about the color gamut of their displays, no one can answer me... they don't know what is gamut... i have to spell it out to them. i was on the phone with that guy for 20min.. in the end, he told me, whatever info is on the apple.com is what u will get... and there is no mention of gamut support in apple.com for those laptop display... so i guess the gamut for them must not be that good...

but Dell does specifies the gamut specification for their 2311, 2211 etc ...

That's because a lot of people who buys Apple's products doesn't know or gives a damn about the tech specs. They only know what is being fed to them. Hence, the reply that you got explains it all. Note I mentioned a lot and not all.

I got myself the Apple LED Cinema Display and the Dell U2410. All I can say is the Dell is of better value despite the bad rep it got. Google it if you are interested.

ok guys, the caveat is this...to use mac book pro with U2711, you'll need a mini Displayport to dual-link DVI inorder to display at 2544x1440. That will cost S$158 on mac store. So its either i sell/trade this great monitor for a U2410 or spend $$$ to get the adaptor...

ps :make sure that the adaptor is with firmware 1.02

ok guys, the caveat is this...to use mac book pro with U2711, you'll need a mini Displayport to dual-link DVI inorder to display at 2544x1440. That will cost S$158 on mac store. So its either i sell/trade this great monitor for a U2410 or spend $$$ to get the adaptor...

ps :make sure that the adaptor is with firmware 1.02
I think the easiest solution for you would be to purchase the adaptor and upgrade the firmware. ;)

PS: Dont forget to change your graphics settings to higher performance.

That's because a lot of people who buys Apple's products doesn't know or gives a damn about the tech specs. They only know what is being fed to them. Hence, the reply that you got explains it all. Note I mentioned a lot and not all.

I got myself the Apple LED Cinema Display and the Dell U2410. All I can say is the Dell is of better value despite the bad rep it got. Google it if you are interested.

if nothings goes wrong, i will get dell 2311... sRGB 100%... haha... i guess not too bad lah... although it is not wide gamut...

if nothings goes wrong, i will get dell 2311... sRGB 100%... haha... i guess not too bad lah... although it is not wide gamut...
If you are planning to do photo editing, stay away from the wide gamut monitors. The Dell U2311H is your best bet.

If you are planning to do photo editing, stay away from the wide gamut monitors. The Dell U2311H is your best bet.

how come? i thought the wider the gamut the better for photoediting? of course for web , wide gamut is useless... wide gamut is more for those high end printer..

seriously, the humble Dell ST2410 calibrated with sypder 3 is good enough , at least for me to do colour related works. It works well with my print job using the HP Pro 9180 printer.