Dell Ultrasharp U2711 27" IPS LCD Monitor

ziploc

Jan 17, 2002
Snoopyland
Just like to let those who are eyeing this monitor know that Dell is having a promotion on this 27" IPS monitor now, both online and at Funan's Dell Direct store, till 17/6. The price after discount is only $899! I just ordered mine. :)

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/monitors?c=sg&s=bsd&l=en&~ck=mn

And no I don't work for Dell, in case you wonder. Cheers. :bsmilie:

wow.. thats cheap.

I just got mine and it has opened my eyes on how "bad" my post processing is... :((

The article mentioned something that you need a graphic card with dual link DVI for this monitor. Will my 2 yr old graphics card work?

The article mentioned something that you need a graphic card with dual link DVI for this monitor. Will my 2 yr old graphics card work?

Google the model number and find out. :bsmilie:

The monitor will still work with without dual link DVI but of course you won't be maximizing its potential. And I think displayport will work with full resolution/color depth too.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the poison
Now I'm 90% going to get this monitor this weekend.
;p

But my laptop do not have a DVI dual link connector. Only VGA.
It do have a HDMI output. So if by using a HDMI cable, will I be fully utilising the monitor?

Thanks!

27" monitor...... :sweat:

oh boy, after 3 years of using a 14" laptop, i'm trying to imagine what a 27" screen would feel like.

oh boy, after 3 years of using a 14" laptop, i'm trying to imagine what a 27" screen would feel like.

Moving your eyeballs is not enough
Need to turn your head left & right

:bsmilie:

Ah, BBB! :bsmilie:

It depends on what graphics chip your laptop is using and what version the hdmi interface is. You can check it's specs (the graphics chip specs) to see if it can go up to the native resolution of the U2711 (which is 2560 x 1440). Also check if the HDMI supports Deep Color (10 or 12-bits per color). If your laptop output is not capable, you can still run at lower resolution and at 8-bits/color as the monitor has built in scaler. Even at the lower settings I am pretty sure that you can still see the vast improvements over TN panels (which is usually 6-bits with narrow view angle), provided your application is not so much on gaming but on photo editing.

Cheers and happy hunting. :)

Monitor native resolution = 2560 x 1440
HDMI = 1920 x 1080

Thanks I just answer my own question. :bsmilie:

How come my laptop do not come with a DVI connector? Its not that old.

I have yet to see any notebooks that have DVI... As for the HDMI, for veriosn 1.3 theoretically it can go up to 2560×1600 (see here). But for a lot of implementations the resolution is lower especially when the graphics chip maker tries to incorporate things like Deep Color which eats up bandwidth. For e.g. the newest ATI Radeon HD5850 which has HDMI 1.3, the max resolution is only 1920x1200.

Quite easy to visualize actually. Its size is about double the diagonal of your 14" screen (assuming your screen is 16:9).

Monitor native resolution = 2560 x 1440
HDMI = 1920 x 1080

Thanks I just answer my own question. :bsmilie:

How come my laptop do not come with a DVI connector? Its not that old.

Btw, you can check the specs of your graphics chip. You'll probably be able to get higher resolution at 8-bits/color with the VGA connector.

E.g. my Sony Viao has the Radeon HD5650 chip and can only do 1920x1200 max via HDMI but can do 2048x1536 via the VGA connector.

And my new monitor will be delivered tomorrow evening. :lovegrin:

can self carry ? ask them delivery still need to paid extras hor?

Think for Dell the delivery is free (or included in the price depending on how you want to see it). They will still be delivering it even if you buy from Dell Direct store. And actually there is no need to go to the store unless you want to see the monitor (they have the 2410 in the store but not the 2711), since all they did is just keying in the order anyway.

Many buying this monitor after reading this post.

Quick QUick BBB order now to avoid any disappointment!

While stocks Last.

;p

Just received the monitor at my house during lunch time. Hooked it up to both my Sony Vaio laptop (via hdmi/vga) and desktop PC (via dvi with a Radeon HD4850 card) and played with it briefly. Couldn't get full native resolution, but at the scaled resolution it is already looking very good. Not sure what's wrong, but after searching on the web suggests that I would probably need to update the driver of my graphics card. No time to do that yet as I was rushing back to work, will do that later when I return from office. :)

After an entire evening of tweaking, driver installing and searching the web, finally found that the Asus EAH4850 graphics card will only do high resolution on DVI2 (there wasn't any doc came with the card that mentioned this, not even in the CD). :rolleyes:

Anyway, running at full native resolution of 2560 x 1440 now! And gosh, just like what the reviews mentioned, the words are small (even though crisp and clear)! :sweat: Think I would either just use lower resolution or try using larger fonts in Win7.

But overall, the monitor is amazing! Very brilliant colors, image is bright and sharp, even at scaled resolution. At $899 this monitor is a steal! :thumbsup: (ok ok, shall stop here to avoid poisoning more people ;p)