Dell U2711 vs new U2713HM

surrephoto

Jan 14, 2009
Chinatown
www.surrephoto.com
Hi all,

Recently discovered Dell's latest offering, a W-LED AH-IPS screen with 99% sRGB, the new U2713HM.

I've been using the Dell U2711 wide-gamut CCFL display since Jan this year and have been very impressed but still a few qualms. You also have to be very careful about your colour management. Also, being a CCFL display, I need to calibrate once every 3 weeks or so (sometimes I don't care lol).

I've read online that the new U2713HM has a lighter Anti-glare coating so it looks less grainy. Honestly the thunderbolt display is the complete opposite with glass and far too reflective.

Has anyone actually seen the U2713HM in the wild? With my 99% (think so) sRGB Retina 15" macbook coming in soon, it seems like this U2713HM might be a good home companion if I need a large display?

Your opinions are appreciated!

I just purchased the 2713HM out of impulse.

It's a fantastic monitor. Indeed the anti-glare coating looks much better, with the texture now very similar to actual matte photos prints. It's no eizo so it doesn't have that "paper" look yet, but if you calibrate it to about 80 cd/m2 it can look really, really close.

Although you lose the high gamut, but this screen calibrates much better than the U2711. I managed to use 400 colors to calibrate the screen at 6500k (out of box is 6400K for my set) in i1display without skewing any colors. Trying this previous at high match setting of 400 colors screwed the U2711. I'm getting an average delta of 2 (most boxes are less than 1, just that blue colors are off by about delta 5). This means extremely accurate skintones.

Highly, highly recommended.

Is it still $799?
Glad to hear that it all worked out fine, and even better than expected.

Would you ditch the U2711 now and prefer the U2713HM?

I've been considering to upgrade to a 27" monitor for the past few months, but the AG coating is really putting me off, do you have a comparison pic of the old vs new AG coating?

Is it still $799?
Glad to hear that it all worked out fine, and even better than expected.

Would you ditch the U2711 now and prefer the U2713HM?

I've been considering to upgrade to a 27" monitor for the past few months, but the AG coating is really putting me off, do you have a comparison pic of the old vs new AG coating?

I miss the gamut, but the general screen quality is much better. LED means very short warm-up time & the AG coating now seems too weak for me when the U2711 was very strong :bsmilie:. Also the screen illumination is more even now compared to the old U2711. No pic but I am very, very satisfied by Dell's new offering.

It's actually cheaper than $799, go to dell direct store at funan to inquire.

Last edited:
Hi Surrephoto,

I am also looking for a LCD so am checking out your recommendations. From Dell's SG website, the U2711 cost $1364 before discount while the U2713HM cost $999. Even after discount, the U2711 still cost more.

Based on a couple of selected specs of U2711
- Brightness 350 cd/m2 (typical)
-Compatibility with industry colour standards (sRGB 100% coverage, Adobe RGB 96% coverage)
-110% (CIE1976) Colour Gamut
-1.07 billion colour depth from 12 bit internal processing

vs U2713
- Brightness 350 cd/m2 (typical), 50 cd/m2 (minimum)
- Great Color Gamut 82% (sRGB >99%)

I have a few questions.

1) Based on the specs, the U2711 should give more accurate colours. Does the reduction of colour gamut on your U2713 has any impact in your post processing.
2) My colorimeter advise for brightness of 120 cd/m2. The specs of the U2711 states only 400 cd/m2. Does it not allow you to reduce to 120 cd/m2. I note that the U2713 does state the minimum brightness as 50 cd/m2. If the U2711 does not allow to reduce to an equal minimum brightness, could this be the reason why the anti-glare looks better on the U2713?
3) You mentioned the blue colour is off during calibration. Do you think this is due to the LED backlight?
4) Does the U2713 being LED backlight give a more consistent light across the whole screen?
5) Which screen has a better black?

Thanks for sharing the info. Nothing beats someone who has both screen side by side to do a comparison. I was about to plunge into U2410 and have now pulled back.

Last edited:
Hi Surrephoto,

I am also looking for a LCD so am checking out your recommendations. From Dell's SG website, the U2711 cost $1364 before discount while the U2713HM cost $999. Even after discount, the U2711 still cost more.

Based on a couple of selected specs of U2711
- Brightness 350 cd/m2 (typical)
-Compatibility with industry colour standards (sRGB 100% coverage, Adobe RGB 96% coverage)
-110% (CIE1976) Colour Gamut
-1.07 billion colour depth from 12 bit internal processing

vs U2713
- Brightness 350 cd/m2 (typical), 50 cd/m2 (minimum)
- Great Color Gamut 82% (sRGB >99%)

I have a few questions.

1) Based on the specs, the U2711 should give more accurate colours. Does the reduction of colour gamut on your U2713 has any impact in your post processing.
2) My colorimeter advise for brightness of 120 cd/m2. The specs of the U2711 states only 400 cd/m2. Does it not allow you to reduce to 120 cd/m2. I note that the U2713 does state the minimum brightness as 50 cd/m2. If the U2711 does not allow to reduce to an equal minimum brightness, could this be the reason why the anti-glare looks better on the U2713?
3) You mentioned the blue colour is off during calibration. Do you think this is due to the LED backlight?
4) Does the U2713 being LED backlight give a more consistent light across the whole screen?
5) Which screen has a better black?

Thanks for sharing the info. Nothing beats someone who has both screen side by side to do a comparison. I was about to plunge into U2410 and have now pulled back.

1. Apparently I'm getting better calibrated colors with the U2713... last time I tried calibrating on high mode in i1display for U2711 but failed to get a nice curved without skewed neutral tones. The U2713HM did well.
2. No issues for either display at 120 cdm2... infact I like to edit at 100 cdm2 so my highlights fill up nicely.
3. Might be but i doubt. Now that you mention it my rMBP screen also give similar results, so it COULD be it LED.
4. It's more consistent for sure.
5. Don't notice a big difference but i presume LED blacks will always be blacker.

1. Apparently I'm getting better calibrated colors with the U2713... last time I tried calibrating on high mode in i1display for U2711 but failed to get a nice curved without skewed neutral tones. The U2713HM did well.
2. No issues for either display at 120 cdm2... infact I like to edit at 100 cdm2 so my highlights fill up nicely.
3. Might be but i doubt. Now that you mention it my rMBP screen also give similar results, so it COULD be it LED.
4. It's more consistent for sure.
5. Don't notice a big difference but i presume LED blacks will always be blacker.

Thanks!

Could you share on which calibrator you're using? If I remember correctly, some of the lower-end, older calibrators have got issues calibrating high-gamut displays..