Status
Not open for further replies.

GKF

Apr 23, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Dell or Compaq laptop ?

Hi

Need to ask the experts out there or users of compaq/Dell laptops whether Compaq/Dell laptops are good or not in terms of :

Quality
Reliability
Service in Australia(Brisbane as I'm going there)

I'm thinking of buying the Compaq EVO 800V , It's a P4 1.6 256 DDR Ram , Radeon 7500 with 32 MB 14.1 inch and it cost $2399 now.

Most importantly it comes with Win XP Pro.

Or the Dell Inspirion 4510 which will cost $300 more to equip it with XP Pro + freight.

Most importantly of all, I need good service , thanks.

Wonder how Compaq/Dell fares .....

Will like your advice and opnions on the Compaq/Dell laptops

Thanks a lot

From past experience with Compaq (Armada/Presario series) notebooks, the quality is inferior. Encountered once where the floppy drive flap actually broke and got stuck inside the drive! Not sure if they've improved since HP took over?

Dun hv good impression of Dell notebooks. They are heavy and have quite some problems. But that's experience with last yrs batch. Perhaps their QC improved greater.
Otherwise, they're the most value for money brand out there.

err...OT a bit.
I would only choose Toshiba, Fujitsu or IBM if i'm buying a reliable notebook.

I have a Dell laptop, and i think the build quality is not that fantastic.

Even the 8100 (which my uncle is using) is quite filmsy too.

Originally posted by SNAG
I have a Dell laptop, and i think the build quality is not that fantastic.

Even the 8100 (which my uncle is using) is quite filmsy too.

heh...u shd say esp. 8100.
It feels just like a plastic case over some pretty heavy electronics :D . Dun hv the integrated feeling that notebooks like IBM, Tos gives.

Originally posted by Shadus

heh...u shd say esp. 8100.
It feels just like a plastic case over some pretty heavy electronics :D . Dun hv the integrated feeling that notebooks like IBM, Tos gives.

I can't agree more.....
Just imagine the LCD can't even have a close fit!! :eek:
I think Toshiba / IBM / Fujitsu's the way to go!

I personally like IBM.
Really sturdy.

Dell definitely is a no no!!! Cheap but lots of compatible issues!
Toshiba or IBM not bad...but a bit pricey.
Maybe U wan to consider Toshiba Satellite 741.
the touch pad is made of some LCD material. Very cool design! :cool:

I'm no computer whiz kid or anything, but I'd like to share an incident that is still happening..sad..

I called to enquire from Dell, a couple of questions, one which included if they sell international warranties for their desktop PCs, as only local warranties are provided, and the other being if they sell refurbished monitors in the U.S. Well, that call was made sometime like 4 weeks back. I waited for more than a week, no response. :dunno:

So I thought, maybe lapse in service by that fresh new service officer, nevermind, so I gave them a call again. This second call was more than a week after the first one. When I asked for the same person who spoke to me the last time, she said, "Wait let me check my record..." and some time later, replied "I don't have any record leh, nevermind you tell me what you want to know and I check it out for you". Well, that's ok, I've somehow have got good patience that day, at that time. After repeating my queries, she told me flatly "Please go and check the Internet about the refurbished monitors yourself. Everything is there." *Ahem* if I can check from the net and get my answers from there, I think Dell doesn't need someone like her sitting at her desk wasting precious resources in such hard times and loosing a potential customer at the same time. Obviously there was no info on refurbished monitors that's why I called to enquire ;(

That was not the end..she said she'll check about the purchase of international warranty for desktop PCs and get back to me in an hour. I replied "Are you sure in an hour and not a week?". Her firm reply "Yes, in an hour". Wow, I didn't know such info isn't that readily available..really beats me :(

Well, I think you can guess why I menioned right from the start the incident is still on-going...it has been 4 weeks now and still counting since my first call to Dell :angry: and till now, that "one hour check and call you back later" promise has never materialized. I am still interested in getting a refurbished monitor in the US, cos my gf needs one for a short span of about a year. Anyone out there can suggest a reliable website that sells such things? (Simple 17" CRT monitor)

I thought, and I think so did many others, that with such aggressive marketing and advertising, Dell should live up to its reputation of providing good value for $ PCs WITH good service. However, I was so wrong.

Moral of the story? If one can be facing so many problems now before even plonking down his money buying smthg from Dell, what do you think it will be like after buying their system and needing support?

Well, this is just smthg for you to ponder about..ultimately, the choice is yours. I do hope you make a good decision and enjoy your laptop.

I can judge other brand as I do not personally own them. I myself have a Dell desktop and a 4000 laptop. The service in Malaysia is good, when my desktop went kaput, they send in their repairmen the next business day to replace all the part that are kaput.

As for laptop, I mine does have an international warranty that cost around RM500. I am in UK and did not have to use the warranty for anything but just for sake of warranty I made a call to them last month about my cd-rom is not reading well. They can't even let me talk to their technician because my service tag is not a UK one. Even after I told them that I have an international warranty, they still decline to assist and only I warn them that what;s the point in getting an international warranty and I can't even get a verbal technical help and only then they reply and hang up. :angry:

I was angry and email the Msia's counterpart and told them the story and they told me that I need to transfer the Msia warranty to UK, hence to allow me to get a UK service tag. The process is so tedius until I gave up the process and make the warranty claim when I'm back in Msia.

Dell has 3 years warranty on parts, at least mine has. IMO, the service that you get will depend greatly on where and what is the organization culture of the country which a company resides in.

Ask me a question ' Would I buy a Dell in UK?" I would promtly said no as the service is bad but if in Msia, I would make a repeat purchase from them.

About questions replied in 1hr, well I dont think my international warranty question was an hr reply but its within the same day. Telephone sale operator in Msia is pretty helpful in term of closing a deal. Not only whole unit but as well as parts.

*note* I do not work for Dell and such the opinion is based on my full exp and own thoughts. :D

you want good service?? get acer then, they repair it on the spot. But Acer is not cheap, they are sleek and slim though.

Originally posted by verceroy
I'm no computer whiz kid or anything, but I'd like to share an incident that is still happening..sad..

I called to enquire from Dell, a couple of questions, one which included if they sell international warranties for their desktop PCs, as only local warranties are provided, and the other being if they sell refurbished monitors in the U.S. Well, that call was made sometime like 4 weeks back. I waited for more than a week, no response.

So I thought, maybe lapse in service by that fresh new service officer, nevermind, so I gave them a call again. This second call was more than a week after the first one. When I asked for the same person who spoke to me the last time, she said, "Wait let me check my record..." and some time later, replied "I don't have any record leh, nevermind you tell me what you want to know and I check it out for you". Well, that's ok, I've somehow have got good patience that day, at that time. After repeating my queries, she told me flatly "Please go and check the Internet about the refurbished monitors yourself. Everything is there." *Ahem* if I can check from the net and get my answers from there, I think Dell doesn't need someone like her sitting at her desk wasting precious resources in such hard times and loosing a potential customer at the same time. Obviously there was no info on refurbished monitors that's why I called to enquire

That was not the end..she said she'll check about the purchase of international warranty for desktop PCs and get back to me in an hour. I replied "Are you sure in an hour and not a week?". Her firm reply "Yes, in an hour". Wow, I didn't know such info isn't that readily available..really beats me :(

Well, I think you can guess why I menioned right from the start the incident is still on-going...it has been 4 weeks now and still counting since my first call to Dell :angry: and till now, that "one hour check and call you back later" promise has never materialized. I am still interested in getting a refurbished monitor in the US, cos my gf needs one for a short span of about a year. Anyone out there can suggest a reliable website that sells such things? (Simple 17" CRT monitor)

I thought, and I think so did many others, that with such aggressive marketing and advertising, Dell should live up to its reputation of providing good value for $ PCs WITH good service. However, I was so wrong.

Moral of the story? If one can be facing so many problems now before even plonking down his money buying smthg from Dell, what do you think it will be like after buying their system and needing support?

Well, this is just smthg for you to ponder about..ultimately, the choice is yours. I do hope you make a good decision and enjoy your laptop.

I understand their attitiude regarding refurbished moniters, they don't really make $ out of this. Furthermore, calling the malayasian branch for US stuff isn't very appopriate. HOWEVER, this does not make it acceptable.

I recommend that your email Micheal Dell, in all likely hood u won't get the man himself but a high(er) level exec might just call u, apologize and, in the end, let you have some free stuff. Remeber to include the names, time u called, etc, so they can find out who was responsible for this.

Bad economy, mnay jobless and they still insist on breaking their own rice bowl. Well, suit themselves then. :D

Originally posted by geoffery
I can judge other brand as I do not personally own them. I myself have a Dell desktop and a 4000 laptop. The service in Malaysia is good, when my desktop went kaput, they send in their repairmen the next business day to replace all the part that are kaput.

As for laptop, I mine does have an international warranty that cost around RM500. I am in UK and did not have to use the warranty for anything but just for sake of warranty I made a call to them last month about my cd-rom is not reading well. They can't even let me talk to their technician because my service tag is not a UK one. Even after I told them that I have an international warranty, they still decline to assist and only I warn them that what;s the point in getting an international warranty and I can't even get a verbal technical help and only then they reply and hang up. :angry:

I was angry and email the Msia's counterpart and told them the story and they told me that I need to transfer the Msia warranty to UK, hence to allow me to get a UK service tag. The process is so tedius until I gave up the process and make the warranty claim when I'm back in Msia.

Dell has 3 years warranty on parts, at least mine has. IMO, the service that you get will depend greatly on where and what is the organization culture of the country which a company resides in.

Ask me a question ' Would I buy a Dell in UK?" I would promtly said no as the service is bad but if in Msia, I would make a repeat purchase from them.

About questions replied in 1hr, well I dont think my international warranty question was an hr reply but its within the same day. Telephone sale operator in Msia is pretty helpful in term of closing a deal. Not only whole unit but as well as parts.

*note* I do not work for Dell and such the opinion is based on my full exp and own thoughts. :D

I concur. I personally own a Dell laptop, and I must say that I haven't had a bad service exprience yet. I even made them rush my order and they really did. Kudos to them.

But my exprience is from a few years back, not too sure of the current situation.

Originally posted by ninelives
you want good service?? get acer then, they repair it on the spot. But Acer is not cheap, they are sleek and slim though.

Unfortunately, their products aren't exactly well engineered. Can't justify the price paid for such a...average set.

Why not consider Sony?
I think now Sony laptops have the best LCD I ever see.
When I compared Sony LCD to my HP 14.1" LCD, my LCD looks so flimsy.
I use Dell at my office almost 2 y.o. PII Latitude, I am ot really like it. Not so ergonomic like my HP Omnibook.......

Originally posted by Knighthunter
Why not consider Sony?
I think now Sony laptops have the best LCD I ever see.
When I compared Sony LCD to my HP 14.1" LCD, my LCD looks so flimsy.
I use Dell at my office almost 2 y.o. PII Latitude, I am ot really like it. Not so ergonomic like my HP Omnibook.......

IMO, Sony laptops are kinda overpriced..... :)
For that kind of money, I think I would get the other brands (ie IBM).

No offence taken... :)

No offence at all mate...;)
I am agree Sony notebook PCs are not cheap but if you have extra $$$ you will appreciate the LCD quality.

What I can comment is that Compaq support is excellent. (*blink* that does not mean I always send my compaq stuff for repair). Their service centre is 24/6(sunday no work). Very good.

Originally posted by ninelives

i bought an Acer last year because it was the cheapest for equivalent specs/form factor compared to Dell, Compaq etc Very reliable... i think i subjected it to relatively rough handling ;) Agree that they're sleek and slim.

Maybe its becos i bought it at an Acer roadshow where there were promotional prices + free ram upgrade + free laptop backpack (in addition to the normal laptop bag).

Get IBM Thinkpad.

You're right that Dell doesn't really make much $ out of refurbished units, let alone monitors. But if I cannot find info on refurbished monitors, then isn't that when customer service comes in? :dunno:

Anyways, the best thing is, she told me "If you really want to know, why not call them?" and so I asked where. "USA" came the reply. Hmmm...making a call to the U.S office...:rolleyes: If I get similar service like that from Penang, will Dell do a refund on the call charges? :D

Well, I personally own an Acer Travelmate 529TX. It's about a yr old, and so far has crashed once on me;( Other than that, I'd say it has served its purpose as a laptop, though it is kinda hefty at 2.98kg! IMHO, if cash isn't that really tight, I would recommend the Fujitsus! They are really cool and sleek, and pretty lightweight too. Appearance-wise, it is appealing. Next would be the Toshiba Satellites, followed by the IBM Thinkpads.

Acer? I'm not too sure where to fit them in!:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.