Dell on fire again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lifted from ST today.....

=======================
SAN FRANCISCO - The world's largest personal computer maker said it would recall 4.1 million notebook computer batteries with cells made by Sony.

This is the largest recall in Dell's history.

Dell said it issued the recall in cooperation with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission because the devices' lithium-ion batteries could overheat and, in rare cases, produce smoke and catch fire, Dell spokesman Jess Blackburn said.

The recall of batteries in Dell notebooks sold from April 2004 through last month spans the company's assortment of Latitude, Inspiron and Precision models, Mr Blackburn said on Monday.

He also said that the recall would have no 'material impact' on Round Rock, Texas-based Dell.

Officials from Sony Energy Devices of Japan could not immediately be reached for comment.

The recall involves 18 per cent of Dell's 22 million notebook computers sold during the period from April 2004 to July 2006. It comes three days before Dell is scheduled to report its fiscal second quarter earnings.

The batteries are Dell-branded but contain Sony battery cells, said the spokesman.

Dell has received six reports of batteries overheating, causing damage to furniture and personal belongings, the Consumer Product Safety Commission in Washington reported.

No injuries have been reported, the commission said. -- REUTERS

no service advisory posted on dell.sg site yet.

*nw looks at his inspiron 510m with fear now...* methinks its time to unpack my fire extinguisher from the storeroom... :what:

Kow.. I've got 3 dell laptops in my household.. and 2 of them were bought within that period.. Zzzz...

nightwolf75 said:

*nw looks at his inspiron 510m with fear now...* methinks its time to unpack my fire extinguisher from the storeroom... :what:

/me play Savage Garden's Crash & Burn for nw... :bsmilie:

nightwolf75 said:

Pack it as your SII together with your battery or power adaptor.

I bet Dell's battery supplier also supplies to other Notebook manufacturers too. Hang on for other brands recall as well.

Errz said:
siao liao.. I got 14 x D410 ...how how!! i'm gonna burn to death. :bsmilie:

*fire-engine to Erzz lang shen's temple* ->
snoozer_01.gif
:bsmilie:

Errz said:
wah..u very evil leh.. want me to burn to death :cry:

now 7th month mah, more u burn, the more 'wang' u will be... hehehe... u burn stacks of money let u win 4D, dio toto..., u burn so many laptops, u imagine wat u can be anot? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.