Deja Vu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
When I first started on digital photography (I was using Film before then), i used to live in the Philippines and I would upload to a (really cr@ppy) site called photo.net.ph; so I had quite a few shots there.

So lo and behold, I'm walking through a mall in Guangzhou when I see a travel agency advertising for flights to Manila. The picture they used was of Ortigas (a secondary CBD district of Manila) by night... and it was eerily familiar. I dug through my old files and bingo! there it was:

http://www.photo.net.ph/displayimage-321-2.html

And it was used again here:
http://affordablecondorental.com/makati_and_manila_pictures

Lesson learned: It's never too early to watermark your pictures.

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
Well, there's not much that can be done. Copyright in China is a grey area, they themselves probably just got it from their own advertiser, who got it from somewhere else, etc. Same with the condo website in Manila. No real point and no chance to pursue. It would cost 30x more in legal fees than I could ever hope to recover.

KY1977

Jan 3, 2008
Watermark can be removed easily too. Best to upload only small size photos.

ortega

Staff member
Nov 2, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
just send them an email and ask them to cease and desist

or pay a token sum to cont. using

better than nothing, right?

megaweb

Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
Just curious, how do you know they use your photo ? They could use your idea and took the same angle shot.

limwhow

Jun 9, 2009
Life revolves arOnd East Coast
Correct me if I am wrong. Even if you had watermarked it, if the watermark is not big, it can still be cloned away in Photoshop yah... so maybe really have to put up a real small photo if really want to be careful.

thenomad

Nov 17, 2008
Singapore
Correct me if I am wrong. Even if you had watermarked it, if the watermark is not big, it can still be cloned away in Photoshop yah... so maybe really have to put up a real small photo if really want to be careful.
you can try to watermark over several textures or objects in your photo, that way it's more difficult to clone it away

eyes

Nov 15, 2003
Australia
www.aljazeera.net
I think it's the same photo. Both pictures are slanted to the same degree. The office lights in the buildings have the same patterns (at least with a rough scan). At least the guy have some decency to clone away some cars in the car park on the lower left hand and recrop the image.

They have a contact information page and you can also use Whois to find out their other addresses and stakeholders.

Watermarks and other copyright tatics never worked unless it is enforced. Anyway, it's really nothing new, every now and then, people infringes the rights to works of others so frequently that it's becoming a norm.

Oh, by the way, if the terms and conditions for the photo uploading site includes free use and etc, you have perfectly no case nor claims in this issue. Many people here didn't know some of the sites and free membership for photo uploading comes with the fine print "you grant us free use"...

Many contests and webbies that allow photo comes with not just free use but extended free use (ie. not just the host can freely use your stuff in whatever way they deem satisfactory but they too can pass it to whoever they assign (even unrelated commercial enterprises) to use your work.

This is how businesses work since day one. There're probably no free lunch, every terms and conditions (or rules and regulations) have fine prints or vague doublespeak and if it sounds too good to be true; it probably is.

My sympathy to you.

Last edited:

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
both photos have the same vertical distortion, not corrected, it is slight but it is there. should be same photo.

cowmera

Nov 22, 2008
Behind you
the owner of the website placed a copyright notice in it. How shameless! Is he paranoid that people will do the same as him? :think:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom